Rainshadow Road by Lisa Kleypas

Rainshadow Road

by Lisa Kleypas

Series: Friday Harbor (2)

Glass artist Lucy Marinn has always fallen in the shadow of her younger sister, Alice, ever since Alice had meningitis as a child. But when Lucy's boyfriend of two years announces that he's leaving Lucy for Alice, it's a whole new low. As Lucy considers swearing off men altogether, she meets handsome Sam Nolan who owns his own vineyard and is very up front about being the kind of guy who will never be in it for the long haul. Does Lucy need a fling like her girlfriends suggest? And will Lucy be the woman who makes Sam see that long-term relationships have their own rewards?

A cute contemporary romance that I almost ditched early on due to some rocky writing. The first 30ish pages felt extraordinarily stilted, maybe just because Kleypas had so much groundwork to lay. Once that was done though, the dialogue and descriptive writing became much more smooth. Kleypas also makes the choice to include some magical realism and while it serves as a metaphor it feels a little oddly tacked on to the contemporary romance (especially as I don't remember any magical realism in the first book in the series). Those oddities aside, I really enjoyed the book and devoured it in less than a day. So mixed bag read and not a recommended starting point if you want to give Kleypas a try. ( )
  MickyFine | Mar 3, 2019 |
*Please note, I won a copy of this book via Goodreads Giveaways*

This is a nice, small town type story. It's supposed to be book two a trilogy, but it works well as a standalone read. Although looking at the preview of the next book, it looks as though it's being told in reverse order somehow? I can't be sure of that, and don't have time to check that right now, but that's interesting if it's the case.

This is a super light read, without a ton of depth.

It's got some elements of magical realism, with interesting powers for both Sam and Lucy. Sam's a rough around the edges character, and Lucy can be a bit of what I'd call a "delicate flower" type. But there are times where she stuck up for herself a bit.

Although I was very disappointed when she was willing to forgo a presigious art opportunity to stay with Sam. She didn't end up doing this, thankfully, but the mere suggestion that she would, irritated me.

I like the setting, very idyllic. It's a nice enough place with characters that I wouldn't mind visiting again ( )
  Melissalovesreading | Sep 30, 2018 |
Lisa's one of my favorite authors. This one holds a bit of fantasy magic. I listened to this one via audiobook (happy for a talented reader that didn't annoy me like some audios do). Enjoyed the banter between girlfriends and witty chats between hero and heroine. Not as fast-paced and adventurous as I like to read, but an enjoyable story while driving to and fro in my Prius between work and daily errands. ( )
  jakohnen | Sep 13, 2018 |
Rainshadow Road
4 Stars

The writing is smooth and seamless, the characters are well-developed and engaging, and the plot is sweet if lacking in any real conflict. Thankfully, Kleypas avoids falling into the silly misunderstanding trap even though she comes close with the idea that Sam goes out with Lucy as a favor to her ex.

While the touch of magical realism contributes to the intimacy between Sam and Lucy as they feel a kinship because of their abilities, it does not really add anything to the story and feels out of place in a contemporary romance.

Lucy is a likable heroine although she could have been more determined in standing up to her parents and sister. It seems that she did not want to rock the boat but boy did that boat need some serious rocking. Alice is a complete narcissistic bitch and I sincerely hope that Kleypas has no intention of redeeming her. I have no interest in reading a book with her as the heroine.

Sam is sweet and sexy with an adorable touch of geekiness and the way in which his feelings for Lucy hit him like a sledgehammer is very entertaining. Nevertheless, it is Alex's character who really intrigues me and I look forward to reading his book soon. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
Lighthearted romance novel that was fun to listen to. I think I snorted a few times and it made me smile. I really liked the Sam character a lot. Very well written and great characters throughout. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 11, 2016 |

Kleypas, Lisaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eby, TanyaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Jennifer Enderlin,

with thanks

for your insight, patience and encouragement--

you are a gift I never take for granted.

Love always,

L.K.
When Lucy Marinn was seven years old, three things happened: Her little sister Alice got sick, she was assigned her first science fair project, and she found out that magic existed.

Lucy Marinn is a glass artist living in mystical, beautiful, Friday Harbor, Washington. She is stunned and blindsided by the most bitter kind of betrayal: her fiance Kevin has left her. His new lover is Lucy's own sister. Lucy's bitterness over being dumped is multiplied by the fact that she has constantly made the wrong choices in her romantic life. Facing the severe disapproval of Lucy's parents, Kevin asks his friend Sam Nolan, a local vineyard owner on San Juan Island, to "romance" Lucy and hopefully loosen her up and get her over her anger. Complications ensue when Sam and Lucy begin to fall in love, Kevin has second thoughts, and Lucy discovers that the new relationship in her life began under false pretenses. Questions about love, loyalty, old patterns, mistakes, and new beginnings are explored as Lucy learns that some things in life -- even after being broken -- can be made into something new and beautiful.

Lucy Marinn is stunned and blindsided when her fianc‚e Kevin leaves her. His new lover is Lucy's own sister. Facing the severe disapproval of Lucy's parents, Kevin asks his friend, Sam Nolan to "romance" Lucy and hopefully loosen her up and get her over her anger. Complications ensue when Sam and Lucy begin to fall in love.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,841,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible