The Sword of Shannara Trilogy by Terry…
Recently added byrangerfan, Avedomni, Emidawg, private library, Oakfairy, weber93, jenniebooks, Dani14, afrn

Too much like 'The Lord of the Rings'. Whether that is a good or bad thing, is up to the reader to decide. As for me, I thought it was a standard good read. ( )
  RamzArtso | Sep 15, 2013 |
It's easy to dismiss the Sword of Shannara as a ripoff of Lord of the Rings. In a way, it is - but it's a very good clone.

While it borrows heavily from LOTR, it stands on its own very well. In this first book from Terry Brooks, Shea Ohmsford must accompany the mystic Allanon and various allies after the titular Macguffin, the Sword of Shannara.

Sword of Shannara is worth reading for any fantasy fans or anyone wishing to get into the world of Shannara. ( )
  maxwestart | Aug 13, 2013 |
Similar to the Lord of the Rings trilogy but with a half-elf as the hero and the story in one book. Very enjoyable read. ( )
  Chris.Graham | Jul 30, 2013 |
So many ways to go with this...
Read this book many times...

5 stars for the first time I read it (1980)

1 star for when I read the Lord of the Rings for the first time (1981) and realized that Terry Brooks just used a universal search and replace on the Lord of the Rings for this book

5 stars for what this book did for the industry and the number of fantasy authors that came after it

2 stars for the writing

4 stars because it made him successful enough to keep writing because I actually think he has done some really good writing later in his career

1 star again for stealing from Tolkien

I'll split all the differences and give this book 3 stars

I definitely think it's a book everyone should read if for no other reason than it's place in fantasy history. ( )
  ferrisscottr | Jun 18, 2013 |
This was a great trilogy. The Sword of Shanarra I actully read back in 1979/1980 time frame and I have to say it drew me into the story just like it did 30 years ago.

This time I noticed that Terry Brooks seemed to like the word awesome alot. I didn't notice this so much the first time I read it probably because I was a teenager and that was literally a major part of my own vocabulary.

The use of awesome did not distract from the story at all and I mean nothing negative by it. It's just an observation and seemed kind of funny for characters in a setting similar to Lord of the Rings to be using the word awesome so much. Probably showing my age now. LOL. However this did decrease throughout the trilogy from almost every page in the Sword of Shanarra to quite a bit less in the Elfstones of Shanarra to only a couple times in the Wishsong of Shanarra.

I really loved the books and would recommend them to anyone who enjoys magic and awesome heroic quests. ( )
  marysneedle | Mar 29, 2013 |

Twenty-five years ago, New York Times bestselling author Terry Brooks wrote a novel that brought to life a dazzling world that would become one of the most popular fantasy epics of all time, beloved by millions of fans around the world. Ten more Shannara books would follow. Now, for the first time in one elegant collector’s edition hardcover, and featuring an introduction by the author, here are the first three novels of that classic series: The Sword of Shannara, The Elfstones of Shannara, and The Wishsong of Shannara—the beginning of a phenomenal epic of good and evil.

The Sword of Shannara
Long ago, the wars of the ancient Evil ruined the world. In peaceful Shady Vale, half-elfin Shea Ohmsford knows little of such troubles. But the supposedly dead Warlock Lord is plotting to destroy everything in his wake. The sole weapon against this Power of Darkness is the Sword of Shannara, which can be used only by a true heir of Shannara. On Shea, last of the bloodline, rests the hope of all the races.

The Elfstones of Shannara
The magical Ellcrys tree is dying, loosening the spell that bars the Demons from enacting vengeance upon the land. Now Wil Ohmsford must guard the Elven girl Amberle on a perilous quest as she carries one of the Ellcrys’ seeds to a mysterious place where it can be quickened into a powerful new force. But dark on their trail comes the Reaper, most fearsome of all Demons, aiming to crush their mission at any cost.

The Wishsong of Shannara
An ancient Evil is stirring to new life, sending its ghastly Mord Wraiths to destroy Mankind. To win through the vile growth that protects this dark force, the Druid Allanon needs Brin Ohmsford—for she alone holds the magic power of the wishsong. Reluctantly Brin joins the Druid on his dangerous journey. But a prophecy foretells doom, as Evil nurses its plans to trap the unsuspecting Brin into a fate far more horrible than death.

Thus begins Terry Brooks’s thrilling Shannara epic, an unforgettable tale of adventure, magic, and myth.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:19:16 -0400)

The first three novels of Terry Brooks Shannara epic of good and evil.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,550,494 books! | Top bar: Always visible