The Crown of Embers (Girl of Fire and…

The Crown of Embers (Girl of Fire and Thorns) (original 2012; edition 2013)

by Rae Carson

Member:lbhlibrary
Title:The Crown of Embers (Girl of Fire and Thorns)
Authors:Rae Carson
Info:Greenwillow Books (2013), Paperback, 432 pages

The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson (2012)

Recently added byBoldMama, rena75, private library, carterrachel241, jennwolfepack

I won't say this is the best book or series I've ever read but it sucked me in nevertheless. There is growth of character, adventure, romance (just enough for my taste), no Mary Sue. I think I've read it in less than 24 hours. it hadn't happened to me in a long time. ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
This second book in the trilogy was a bit of a pot boiler - and rather feels like a bridge between book 1 and book 3. Although there was something less captivating about the theme in this novel, it was easy to be gripped by the story. I did certainly read it quickly since I was hooked on seeing what Elisa was going to do with her destiny. One annoyance that seemed a glaring error: this is set in a quasi-medieval era, hence a 17-year old is *not* a child and certainly would be expected to be adult by then. However, Carson develops Elisa as a modern-day teenager which is inconsistent with the historical realities. After all, compare the achievements of a barely-20 year Alexander the Great or the youthful exploits of Boudicea. ( )
  SandyAMcPherson | Jan 19, 2019 |
Elisa won the battle, but the war for the hearts and loyalty of her kingdom still rages. In an attempt to quell rebellion and civil war, Elisa is determined to get to the heart of the conflict between her people and the Inviernos and to discover the great mission her Godstone expects from her. Elisa might have had leadership and power thrust upon her, but her ability to rise up and use both wisely continues to grow. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jun 23, 2018 |
I can't believe it took me so long to finish this (the start date is misleading). Such a fun series! And I love the strong female protagonist. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Just wow. I tore through this book. Non stop action and plotting, never a dull moment. Elisa grew as a main character and made me love her even more. She is definitely not the whiney child she started out as. Cannot wait to read the third book, good thing I have it. Just so good. ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
For Charlie, my first reader and best friend
My entourage of guards struggles to keep pace as I fly down the corridors of my palace.

"Hero. Foreigner. Queen. Elisa, at the age of seventeen, is all three. And all three draw enemies. Faced with assassins, court politics, and the threat of civil war, Elisa despairs of being the ruler her people need. Her only hope is the Godstone. She must master its power once and for all. She finds clues hidden in a long forgotten--and forbidden--scripture. Accompanied by a one-eyed warrior, an enemy defector, and the man she is falling in love with, Elisa takes a leap of faith and crosses an ocean in search of the ultimate source of the Godstone's power. But her faith has always had a price, and doing the right thing might mean giving up the power she desperately needs. And it might mean giving up the man she desperately loves. Rae Carson continues the epic story begun in The Girl of Fire and Thorns with a novel that is remarkable, adventurous, and even more romantic than the first"--… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,757,078 books! | Top bar: Always visible