The Crown of Embers (Girl of Fire and…

The Crown of Embers (Girl of Fire and Thorns) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Rae Carson

348None31,330 (4.3)34
Member:kathleen.morrow
Title:The Crown of Embers (Girl of Fire and Thorns)
Authors:Rae Carson
Info:Greenwillow Books (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 416 pages
Tags:Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, Adventure

The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson (2012)

2012 (8) 2013 (5) adventure (12) ebook (8) fantasy (61) female protagonist (2) fiction (14) heroine (4) high fantasy (4) Kindle (8) library (6) love (4) love story (4) magic (12) marriage (2) own (4) prophecy (3) read in 2012 (4) read in 2013 (6) religion (7) romance (19) royalty (5) sequel (4) series (10) spy (2) teen (3) to-read (35) YA (26) YA Fantasy (3) young adult (29)

It's rare for me to come across the second book in a series that I liked more than the first. Whether that be because not particularly enjoying the first means I don't often pick up the second, or for some other reason, I don't know, but this was a case where I loved the second book in the series. The first just didn't draw me in as much; however, this one really did. I loved Elisa's voice in this book, her struggles, her growth. Also, Hector, well, he was swoon-worthy :) I was invested in Elisa becoming a better queen, in solving the problems of her country, and attempting to find a way to do that. Also, Storm was just a fascinating character to me, and I liked getting to know a bit more about the Inviernos. Plus, the hints of Spanish and culture made me happy. The cliff-hanger of an ending left me happy to know I can go out and grab The Bitter Kingdom right now! ( )
  Meradeth | Feb 9, 2014 |
Can't wait to read the next book. ( )
  newskepticx | Dec 18, 2013 |
I finished this book in the wee hours of the morning, and have to say that I loved it tremendously! I was entranced until the very last word. It was a bit easier to follow, and I wasn't let down by the romantic aspect. There's a bit of a cliffhanger, but I was satisfied with the resolution of the plot. I LOVE how Elisa has grown into a confident woman,though she doesn't feel it at times. The evolution of the plot had me on the edge of my seat the whole time and I couldn't get enough of the romantic aspect of the book! I am soooo glad I can start on The Bitter Kingdom tonight, so I don't have to wait to know what is happening. ( )
  asgwilli | Dec 2, 2013 |
Why can I not give more than 5 measly stars?! This book demands ALL THE STARS! ( )
  emmyson | Oct 9, 2013 |

The Crown of Embers is the sequel to 'The Girl of Fire and Thorns' fantasy and political YA novel series about Elisa, a princess who was gifted with a Godstone and who turned into a rebel and now a queen to a wartorn kingdom, Joya d'Arena. At the start of the book, a length of time has past in between the novels which left Elisa a widow and her kingdom in near poverty with her people starting to be violent and hostile to her.

After the event in the first book, the Invierne has retreated and although Elisa's people have won the battle, the consequences from the war is very apparent to her. Now that the Invierno have come to know of her Godstone, they have sent suicidal threats directly toward her, calling for her surrendering to the Invierne for her kingdom to be spared. In addition to that, she had to face the intense political warfare within her castle where the lords are trying to sway her and discredit her as a ruler. Because of her widowed state and the king who is still a child, Elisa had to find new suitors to secure a consort and restore balance to her neighbouring kingdoms. In the midst of that, she began to hide her feelings on her trusted guardian, Hector, despite their overwhelming dependence on one another. The story progressed into more political maneuvering, mystical answers and quest and the horror of multiple of asassination attempts where Elisa is the centre of it all.

I wouldn't lie. The sole enjoyment that I received from this book was the gritty politics and Elisa's struggle against the world who wanted her fail. There are prevelant amount of subtle romance in this book and frustration moments where Elisa had to be a queen instead of being herself. Receiving the end of irrational abuse and unfair perceptions of people, Elisa now faced even more challenge as a queen for the unstable kingdom. There are moments where death is just a glance away and intense emotions between the character that inserted neatly between conflicts that Elisa faced.

I enjoyed the book as the book approach most of the serious subject in adult and mature setting instead of light-hearted fairytale storyline. In this book, it was apparent that ruling a kingdom is never easy and that trying to make decisions involving even more political maneuverings. I do see in some ways, there are some improvement in Elisa's character and her struggle in grasping on things and people that used to matter to her.

Honestly, I think its a good book. The content is a bit lighter in nature than Melina Marchetta's Lumatere series and probably a kin to A Song of Fire and Ice as the magic realism in this book is also subtle but apparent. Because of the serious overtone in this book, I'm not sure it will attract much younger audience but most would adore the development of Elisa and Hector. ( )
  aoibhealfae | Sep 23, 2013 |
For Charlie, my first reader and best friend
My entourage of guards struggles to keep pace as I fly down the corridors of my palace.

"Hero. Foreigner. Queen. Elisa, at the age of seventeen, is all three. And all three draw enemies. Faced with assassins, court politics, and the threat of civil war, Elisa despairs of being the ruler her people need. Her only hope is the Godstone. She must master its power once and for all. She finds clues hidden in a long forgotten--and forbidden--scripture. Accompanied by a one-eyed warrior, an enemy defector, and the man she is falling in love with, Elisa takes a leap of faith and crosses an ocean in search of the ultimate source of the Godstone's power. But her faith has always had a price, and doing the right thing might mean giving up the power she desperately needs. And it might mean giving up the man she desperately loves. Rae Carson continues the epic story begun in The Girl of Fire and Thorns with a novel that is remarkable, adventurous, and even more romantic than the first"--… (more)

48 wanted2 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,501,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible