Vampire Beach: Bloodlust by Alex Duval

Vampire Beach: Bloodlust (2006)

by Alex Duval

I would consider this a good, light read. If you like vampires and teen reads then this is for you. It almost reminds me of old 90210 with vampires. ( )
  MzKitty | Sep 18, 2016 |
easy read a bit too goody goody ( )
  joem0601 | Mar 5, 2016 |
This is a book which is aimed at teens/young adults yet still manages to entertain and hold the attention of older readers too. This is a really easy, quick read but there's plenty packed into the pages to make it a solid story.

Vampires seem to be 'on trend' at the moment and there are countless vamp books out there to choose from, for anyone on a paranormal kick, but Vampire Beach - Bloodlust (which is the first in the series), has enough differences from those other works to make it seem new. It's a cross between 'The Lost Boys' and 'The OC' and if you like either of those then this is definitely for you.

Because this is the first book in the series a lot of time is spent on character and world building, but it still manages to weave in an interesting story and pull off a few twists and turns which lead nicely onto the second book in the series 'Initiation'.

I'm about to start the second in the series and I look forward to getting to know the characters better as each book progresses. Bloodlust is the start of a very promising series. ( )
  SilverThistle | Dec 31, 2014 |
Jason moves to Malibu where he becomes friends with Sienna. He is going to parties but always having to look after his little sister. Everything seems normal unitl 1 night after a party a body of a girl is washed up on the beach. She has a suspicious bite on her neck. Something does not seem right..... First in the Vampire Beach series ( )
  jhibburt | May 11, 2010 |
Reviewed by K. Osborn Sullivan for TeensReadToo.com

I like vampire stories. If you've read any of my other reviews, you might already know that. Because of my prejudice, I dove into the first in the series of VAMPIRE BEACH books with high expectations. And I did enjoy it. Yes, it has some problems in execution, but more about that later. First the good stuff.

As BLOODLUST begins, high school senior, Jason Freeman, has just moved into an exclusive Malibu subdivision with his sister and their nouveau rich parents. He experiences the typical teenage angst: the girl he likes is taken, he can't have a good time at parties because he's always watching out for his younger sister, one of his new friends isn't exactly riding the top rung of the social ladder, etc. The usual stuff. But something seems a little odd in Malibu. Then a girl turns up dead, and Jason discovers that the popular crowd at his high school is made up of vampires.

This book put a fun spin on both the traditional vampire story and the "high school popular crowd" story. I stayed up late, turning pages to see what would happen. That's a good sign. When I was done with BLOODLUST, I was grateful that there was another VAMPIRE BEACH book on hand and I tore right into it.

Unfortunately, BLOODLUST did have some problems that detracted from my enjoyment. First, it was too short. There was clearly a lot of stuff going on in Jason's high school, but relatively little of it was explored. When he discovered the vampires and began learning about them, I ended up with more questions than answers. And by the time the real mystery began, the author seemed in a hurry to resolve it. Seemingly, no sooner did Jason realize there was a problem than it was solved. That was a letdown. I wanted more investigation, more conflict, more story.

Another thing that bothered me was the use of slang. The author was eager to portray authentic-sounding teen dialogue, but it seemed forced and, at times, outdated. That is often the problem with trying to write the way modern teens speak. By the time the book is published, the dialogue already sounds like it was written about two centuries ago. And be warned that this one is for older readers. It contains frequent references to alcohol use and some sexual activity.

I found VAMPIRE BEACH: BLOODLUST to be an enjoyable, light read. No deep human truths will be revealed, but there is plenty of good, old-fashioned, escapist fantasy. This slender volume is the perfect companion for your next plane trip. It should keep you entertained all the way from check-in to baggage claim. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 9, 2009 |

At first, Jason Freeman enjoys his new high school, but later he notices too many strange events there which lead to a girl who washes up on the beach with a suspicious bite mark.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,998,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible