The Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell

The Aviary (edition 2012)

by Kathleen O'Dell

Title:The Aviary
Authors:Kathleen O'Dell
Info:Yearling (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:fiction, middle grade, history, fantasy, supernatural, ghosts, death, mystery

The Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell

A middle grade tale of family, history, and magic, The Aviary by Kathleen O'Dell has been on my TBR for a while. I'm glad I finally picked it up because it was strange and unique and I enjoyed almost everything about the story.

Clara and her mother live with old Mrs. Glendoveer in a deteriorating house with locked doors and an aviary of somewhat frightening birds in the yard. The birds belonged to Mrs. Glendoveer's husband, a famous magician. One day, she starts telling Clara her secrets but it will be up to Clara to find out the rest of them -- and what they mean for her life.

That description is a bit vague on purpose because not knowing what was coming made this read better. I was nervous more than once about what would happen. My only small complaint about the book is that it is supposed to be a period story but there were very few clues to that in the story or the writing. I didn't even realize that it was supposed to be set in the past until a little way in when a date was mentioned. Still, though this was a bit annoying, it didn't affect my enjoyment of the story. This is a super creepy read that was perfect for the season.

http://webereading.com/2015/09/rip-x-5-aviary.html ( )
  klpm | Sep 26, 2015 |
The Aviary is a middle-grade supernatural mystery novel set in the late 19th century. The protagonist is 12-year-old Clara who lives in an old mansion with her mother and Ruby (servants), Mrs. Glendoveer (the owner, widow of a great magician), and an aviary of birds in the backyard. This has been Clara's entire world since she has been unable to leave the house. I do not want to state anymore since this is a mystery that unfolds beautifully. The ending is cheesy, but I still very much enjoyed reading this. ( )
  StephanieNicole | May 9, 2014 |
Good mystery! Interesting story. I found the ending a bit confusing. Maybe I was reading too fast because it was such a page turner. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
This is a tough one to rate. I really like the characters, the relationships, and the way the author commits to making each moment in the story live. The 19th century setting is very believable. But the fantasy element seems tentative, almost as though the author is afraid of it, and I do wonder if she has written fantasy before and keeps up with what contemporary middle grade fantasy is like. That's not to say there won't be many fans of this book among kids. It has a very solid, classic feel to it, and may appeal more to fans of historical fiction than fantasy. ( )
  Inky_Fingers | Oct 11, 2013 |
The Aviary was spine tingling Gothic novel. It was so intriguing and suspenseful I read it in one sitting! Clara Dooley lives in the dilapidated Glendoveer mansion with her mother the housekeeper, Ruby the cook and ailing Mrs. Glendoveer. Clara lives a very sheltered life with only adults for company and the mysterious birds in the aviary. When Mrs. Glendoveer passes away, Clara longs to know the secrets of her identity and the mystery.that surrounds the Glendoveer family. This book was at heartwarming as it was chilling. Clara, is a bright and kind hearted girl who has charm and a courageous spirit. I was cheering Clara on throughout the story in her search for the truth. Although, this book is aimed at middle grade readers it could be enjoyed by older readers as well ( )
  68papyrus | Aug 5, 2013 |

Twelve-year-old Clara Dooley has spent her whole life in the Glendoveer mansion, where her mother is a servant to the kind and elderly matron of the house. Clara has never known another home. In fact, she's confined to the grand estate due to a mysterious heart condition. But it's a comfortable life, and if it weren't for the creepy squawking birds in the aviary out back, a completely peaceful one too.

But once old Mrs. Glendoveer passes away, Clara comes to learn many dark secrets about the family. The Glendoveers suffered a horrific tragedy: their children were kidnapped, then drowned. And their father George Glendoveer, a famous magician and illusionist, stood accused until his death. As Clara digs deeper and deeper into the terrifying events, the five birds in the aviary seem to be trying to tell her something. And Clara comes to wonder: what is their true identity? Clara sets out to solve a decades-old murder mystery—and in doing so, unlocks a secret in her own life, too. Kathleen O'Dell deftly weaves magic, secret identities, evil villians, unlikely heroes, and the wonder of friendship into a mystery adventure with all the charm of an old fashioned classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:21 -0400)

In late nineteenth-century Maine, isolated, eleven-year-old Clara Dooley gains a friend and uncovers a magical secret that changes her life when she learns to care for the once-feared birds in the aviary attached to the Glendoveer mansion where she lives.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,760,669 books! | Top bar: Always visible