Allegiant by Veronica Roth

Allegiant

by Veronica Roth

Divergent by Veronica Roth (eo206)
    eo206: Book 2 in series
    Insurgent by Veronica Roth (eo206)
    eo206: Book 1 in series

English (386)  Spanish (4)  German (2)  Afrikaans (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (396)
I had issues with this book from the beginning. The book is in first-person, present tense, which is fine. But she's alternating points of view each chapter between Tris and Four. But remaining in first person for the entire book. So you have to pay CLOSE attention to the chapter heading to see who the I refers to. That didn't sit well with me.

I felt like the series got steadily worse as the books went on. I finished this one but I kept finding reasons to put it down.

Some of the story line reminds me of a Hitler - esk mentality. Genetic purity and a purity war. It wasn't what I expected, but it changed the color of all three books. When they started into revealing how base that story line was like that Tris is a Genetic Pure (or GP) but Four is a Genetic Damaged (GD) and they're desire to fight it just brought too much about what's going on now to mind. It could be seen as a modern take on the World War II storyline, or it could just be a political commentary of modern times.

I hated that they referred to Chicago as an experiment for more than two thirds of the book and that the experiment was created for genetic repairs. It felt like the Divergent from the first book or two got caught in the middle of something that made no sense with the rest of the series.

Then we have the end of the book. While I understand the why, the plot point leading to it, I didn't like that Tris died. To be perfectly honest, after the build up in books 1 and 2, this was a very anti climactic ending to a series. Then again, the series went steadily down hill after the first book.

I'd love to see years later who Tobias ends up with. ( )
  gilroy | Dec 17, 2018 |
Het orgineel van mijn review kan je vinden op mijn blog:

Man, wat heb ik me verheugd op dit boek! Dat ik zo lang kon wachten! Eindelijk. Trots kan ik vertellen dat ik geen spoilers gelezen heb!
Vreemd,dat het verhaal ineens door twee mensen verteld word. Tijd om me hierover te verwonderen had ik niet want het verhaal trekt me al snel in een razende vaart met zich mee.

Steeds duidelijker word de betekenis van het hek, dat me ook al in deel 1 en deel 2 opgevallen is. Net zoals in dit deel heel veel vragen beantwoord worden die ik had. Een voorbeeld : Divergent: Afwijkenden : genetisch gezonde mensen.

Vijtig bladzijden voor het einde van het boek stop ik ermee! Neeee, wat ik aan voelde komen ...........
*Snikkend* sta ik bij Iris in haar kamer, *als ik nu stop met lezen, dan kan ik misschien het onvermijdelijke einde voorkomen.!

Mislukt. Ik heb het boek toch uitgelezen, wederom erg ontroerd.

Het is een zeer sterke serie met een ongelooflijke sterk slot, dat zich duidelijk niet door, of voor de lezers laat beinvloeden maar zich door de kracht van het karakters van de hoofdrolspelers laat leiden en deze ook echt eer aan doet!

The first step to loving someone else is to recognize the evil in ourselves, so we can forgive them

I don't belong to Abnegation, or Dauntless, or even the Divergent. I don't belong to the Bureau or the experiment or the fringe. I belong to the people I love, and they belong to me-they, and the love and loyalty I give them, form my identity far more than any word or group ever could.
  LindaKwakernaat | Nov 29, 2018 |
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​1

JUST WATCHED THE FUCKING COVER REVEAL ON THE TODAY SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!​

My REVIEW:
Plot: 3.5/5
There were several things I didn’t like about this book.
But, the thing is, I’d been spoiled, so I knew what all this was building towards, and it might have annoyed my more than it would have otherwise because of that.
The first half of this book, though, was just a train wreck.
First off: ON THE DUAL PERSPECTIVE
I would have been far more accepting of the dual perspective IF Tris and Tobias had been located in different places and were experiencing different stories. I mean, I REALLY wanted Tobias to stay in Chicago, and if he had, more things could have happened with the instability going on there. Instead, they both left the city together and kissed and teamed up with the scientists and stuff. I didn’t think the dual perspective was really useful until the second half. When I got to the second half, I understood why the dual perspective was necessary, though. (The Dual Perspective actually ended up reminding me somewhat of the way dual perspective was used in the 19th Animoprhs book, the one with Cassie morphing into a Butterfly on the cover)

The end of Insurgent promised EPIC WAR AND FIGHTING outside the city. It was lie. It was very disappointing.
Instead, we got picked up by some scientists who thought that most of the populace were ‘genetically damaged’ and the city was an experiment and the factions were a lie!
THAT WAS YOUR WHOLE SERIES, VERONICA ROTH. YOUR WHOLE SERIES. And then there were theses two characters introduced. A pretty boy who became friends with Tris, and a pretty girl who became friends with Tobias. I was like: “Seriously? You are DOING this to me?”
I hated them. (And I’ll talk more about them in the Characters section of this review)

Then there was the random attack on the compound that really seemed to have no place, especially because nothing came of it, and then other stuff happened that I don’t even really remember….

And then the second half. The second half included basically redoing that random attack on the compound, except planned better and done for different reasons.
The last 50-100 pages saved this book for me. They were epic and emotional, and it suddenly made sense to me (the spoiler that I knew we were building towards).

Characters: 4/5
Tris: I honestly don’t remember the first half of this book really well, so I can’t speak to how I liked her character there, but in the last 50-100 pages… Tris was at her absolute best. I cried and I laughed for her.
Tobias: Again, I liked him better towards the end. When he went to the city to confront either his mother or his father, and he talked to Evelyn… that conversation is PROBABLY my favorite conversation that Tobias has participated in. Becuas eI loved his emotions in that conversation.
Caleb: Oh, Caleb. Again, I only really remember the end, and what I feel for him is somewhat tainted by what Tris did, but I really came to not hate him so much. I didn’t love him, I didn’t like him, I didn’t not like him, and I didn’t hate him. I think that, at the end, I felt the same way about him that Tobias did. He was all right, but he reminded me too much of Tris and what she did
Tori: WHY??? Why would you destroy that ENTIRE character arc?
David: I can’t believe it took until Tris confronted him at the end to figure out he was in love with her mother. I figured that out around the same time that he first mentioned her name.
Peter: Oh… well. Peter. I agree that what h did was the action of a coward… but it was also the only action I can really see Peter taking, given the way his character has been developed.
Matthew: This is the pretty boy that befriended Tris!!! Now, I didn’t REALLY like him when it became obvious that he was befriending Tris while Nita was befriending Tobias. But I liked him better than Nita because he had a purpose outside of doing stupid things and creating romantic tension.
Nita: had two purposes: to do stupid things to drive the plot forward, and to create romantic tension. I HATED her.
Uriah: go look at my status update. Look at it. Then come back, and I will tell you how tightly I was holding onto him. and then Veronica Roth RIPPED him away from me

Romance:
Oh, man. Do NOT make me talk about this right now. I—I just can’t. Tomorrow, maybe. Or the day after.

So, I’m not going to calculate the grade for this book, because I know that numbers can not possible encompass my feelings. Especially, since I felt so drastically different about the two halves of this book.
If I could rate the two halves differently, I’d give the first half 3 stars and the second 5 stars. But I can’t, so I’m just going to split it down the middle and give this book 4 stars.

I DO think I will reread this someday. I know that much of my enjoyment was lessened because I had been spoiled, but if I reread it, I know that that will make it more natural. I’ve already read it, so the spoiler isn’t really a spoiler anymore. I’ll also be able to understand what’s going on more objectively.

So, yeah.

I have to go spend some time recovering from this.

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |
This is a surprisingly solid conclusion, especially given how book two ended. I enjoyed it, and it definitely followed up well on what came before. ( )
  TiffanyAK | Nov 11, 2018 |
Sucks she dies, but I get it. Probably would have been better if she lived, plus most of the book just read like filler. Seemed kind of off for Four to be moping about not being 100% Divergent, meh, overall had the air of a trilogy that maybe should have just been two books. ( )
  AFaith | Nov 7, 2018 |
Every question that can be answered must be answered or at least engaged. Illogical thought processes must be challenged when they arise. Wrong answers must be corrected. Correct answers must be affirmed.
--From the Erudite faction manifesto
To Jo,
who guides and steadies me
I pace in our cell in Erudite headquarters, her words echoing in my mind: My name will be Edith Prior, and there is much I am happy to forget.

The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered--fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she's known, Tris is ready. But will she be prepared to face impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice and love?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,790,935 books! | Top bar: Always visible