End of Days by Robert Gleason

End of Days (edition 2012)

by Robert Gleason

Collections:Your library, General Fiction
Rating:*
Tags:Post-Apocalyptic, WB, 2012 Reads

End of Days by Robert Gleason

Read 50 pages, gave up. Booklist was on crack with their glowing review.
  amanderson | Mar 31, 2013 |
Just. Could not. Finish it. I wanted to, had high hopes for it, but it really just was terrible.
  alwaysbooktime | Mar 31, 2013 |
wow, ditto on the two previous reviews. I gave up at page 300; that was the end of my day. ( )
  magnumpigg | Nov 3, 2012 |
End of Days
Robert Gleason
Forge Books
2011
Trade Paperback
Advance Reader’s Copy
496 pages

End of Days by Robert Gleason had all the potential of becoming a very good post-apocalyptic glimpse into a future gone terribly wrong. It contains political intrigue, fairly interesting characters, a good premise, and an excellent explanation of a world on the brink of nuclear destruction. But it suddenly took a turn for the worse when a pair of philosophical-minded rats unexpectedly entered the narrative. They were so out of place in the flow of the story, in fact, that I thought perhaps a portion of another novel had somehow been accidently edited into this one by the publisher. I gave the author the benefit of the doubt and read on but it only got worse and then the story (and the writing) bogged down to a slow crawl and I admit that I was unable to finish the book. I’m still trying to figure out what purpose the rats played in the story and I’m sure Gleason somehow pulled it all together in the end but I really didn’t feel there was a need for the animal-based fantasy to be included in the story. It just didn’t make any sense.

Life is too short to put this one at the top of your reading list. In my opinion, End of Days is pretty much a waste of good reading time. There are plenty of other solid post-apocalyptic stories out there that are much more worthwhile. Scroll down through some of my other reviews and you’ll see what I mean.

2 ½ stars out of 5

The Alternative
Southeast Wisconsin ( )
1 vote TheAlternativeOne | Nov 6, 2011 |

Lydia Lozen Magruder—the great-granddaughter of a female Apache war-shaman—has seen visions of the End since childhood. She has constructed a massive ranch-fortress in the American Southwest, stocked with everything necessary to rebuild civilization.

Now her visions are coming true. John Stone, once a baseball star and now a famous gonzo journalist, stumbled across a plan to blast humanity back to the stone age. Then he vanished. Lydia’s only hope of tracking him down lies with her stubborn, globe-trotting daughter, Kate, Stone’s former lover.

Kate is about to step right into the plotters’ crosshairs. Stone has been captured by a pair of twin Middle Eastern princesses, hell-bent on torturing him until he reveals all he knows.

Meanwhile, a Russian general obsessed with nuclear Armageddon has also disappeared...as have eight or more of his Russian subs, armed with nuclear-tipped missiles.

The world is armed for self-destruction.

Who will survive?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:54 -0400)

Constructing a ranch-fortress in the Southwest to prepare for an apocalypse about which she has seen visions since childhood, Lydia, the descendant of an Apache war-shaman, desperately seeks her daughter's gonzo journalist ex, who went missing after discovering plans for a catastrophic attack.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,490,034 books! | Top bar: Always visible