Time Flies by Eric Rohmann

Time Flies (1994)

by Eric Rohmann

Summary:
Time Flies by Eric Rohmann is a picture book that us seen through a birds-eye view. A bird flies into a museum filled with dinosaur skeletons. When the bird flies around, the dinosaurs seem to come alive. The illustrations in the book show the bird continuously flying around with the different types of skeletons. Then a big dinosaur comes along and appears to suddenly eat the bird. In the next illustration, the dinosaur closes it's mouth and bird feathers surround the air. The next illustration indicates the bird tries to get out of the dinosaur. However, in the end, it shows the bird flying around the dinosaurs skeletons... eluding that the bird was imagining the whole situation.

Personal Reaction:
I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. Although it is a good book, I feel like students could possibly struggle with the plot of the book because it is a picture book. I personally was somewhat confused on what the bird was seeing and doing throughout the first couple of illustrations. In Time Flies, the bird is seen as a round character, meaning a major character in a fiction book encounters conflict and is changed by it. The plot of this book is very interesting. For example, when the bird gets eaten, the reader anticipates the next illustration to see what happens to the bird afterwards. When the dinosaurs of the museum came alive, I felt as though there was not a clear picture of what was happening and what the author wanted the reader to pickup on.

Classroom Extensions: I would use this book as a start up lesson for history and science assignments. For the history lesson, I would have my students talk about the history of dinosaurs. For the science lesson we would take a look at pre-historic fossils and examine different types of preserved foot prints of known dinosaurs. This will help my students better understand this book. We would also explore different types of birds and the calls they each make. ( )
  thejennalane | Sep 11, 2016 |
I really liked the book, I feel like the book would be useful for multiple lessons in all grade levels. The pictures are very detailed and realistic.
  TaylorAtkinson | Sep 8, 2016 |
This book is very interesting. The wordless picture book allows for endless imagination and creativity from children of all ages. ( )
  ElizabethMoody | Sep 8, 2016 |
CC and many ILL
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
This wasn't one of my favorites. This book was about a bird who flies into a dinosaur museum and the dinosaurs come to life.
  LVeum | Mar 12, 2016 |
(no words)

Eric Rohmann's Caldecott Honor-winning debut is now available as a Dragonfly paperback. It is at once a wordless time-travel adventure and a meditation on the scientific theory that dinosaurs were the evolutionary ancestors of birds.

Time Flies , a wordless picture book, is inspired by the theory that birds are the modern relatives of dinosaurs.  This story conveys the tale of a bird trapped in a dinosaur exhibit at a natural history museum.  Through Eric's use of color, readers can actually see the bird enter into a mouth of a dinosaur, and then escape unscathed.

The New York Times Book Review called Time Flies "a work of informed imagination and masterly storytelling unobtrusively underpinned by good science...an entirely absorbing narrative made all the more rich by its wordlessness." Kirkus Reviews hailed it as "a splendid debut."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:51 -0400)

A wordless tale in which a bird flying around the dinosaur exhibit in a natural history museum has an unsettling experience when the dinosaur seems to come to life and view the bird as a potential meal.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,665,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible