Time Flies by Eric Rohmann

Time Flies (1994)

by Eric Rohmann

In the same family as "Flotsam," being a book with no words, and yet the story moves along beautifully without them. A bird starts in a dinosaur museum and then heads back in time into when dinosaurs ruled, until it's swallowed again back into the modern world of bones. Amazing artwork.
  mikeswanson | Apr 25, 2017 |
I think this was a really awesome book that is open to many different interruptions. A bird lost in a museum flies into a dinosaurs mouth and the museum comes alive. The pictures are beautifully done and make you feel like you are the bird. ( )
  MeganSchneider2 | Apr 25, 2017 |
This book is about a bird who is lost in the dinosaur section of a museum. It supports the theory about birds being relatives of the dinosaurs. The bird flies into the mouth of the dinosaur and is transported to a land of time. This book is great for all ages because it is a wordless book. For instructional use, the teacher can use it to practice vocabulary or for ELLs it can be good practice to develop their oral language. ( )
  maria.baltazar | Feb 18, 2017 |
The book "Time flies" could be used as an independent reading for students that are in 2nd-3rd grade that are not very strong readers so instead of reading the words they can read through the pictures. Then you can have the students predict what the story will be about before they read and then retell what happened after reading by describing the story and inferring what actually happened in the end. This book would also be great to introduce fossils and dinosaurs to students that are in 2nd-3rd grade.
  mmccrady01 | Feb 10, 2017 |
Summary:
Time Flies by Eric Rohmann is a picture book that us seen through a birds-eye view. A bird flies into a museum filled with dinosaur skeletons. When the bird flies around, the dinosaurs seem to come alive. The illustrations in the book show the bird continuously flying around with the different types of skeletons. Then a big dinosaur comes along and appears to suddenly eat the bird. In the next illustration, the dinosaur closes it's mouth and bird feathers surround the air. The next illustration indicates the bird tries to get out of the dinosaur. However, in the end, it shows the bird flying around the dinosaurs skeletons... eluding that the bird was imagining the whole situation.

Personal Reaction:
I did not enjoy this book as much as I thought I would. Although it is a good book, I feel like students could possibly struggle with the plot of the book because it is a picture book. I personally was somewhat confused on what the bird was seeing and doing throughout the first couple of illustrations. In Time Flies, the bird is seen as a round character, meaning a major character in a fiction book encounters conflict and is changed by it. The plot of this book is very interesting. For example, when the bird gets eaten, the reader anticipates the next illustration to see what happens to the bird afterwards. When the dinosaurs of the museum came alive, I felt as though there was not a clear picture of what was happening and what the author wanted the reader to pickup on.

Classroom Extensions: I would use this book as a start up lesson for history and science assignments. For the history lesson, I would have my students talk about the history of dinosaurs. For the science lesson we would take a look at pre-historic fossils and examine different types of preserved foot prints of known dinosaurs. This will help my students better understand this book. We would also explore different types of birds and the calls they each make. ( )
  thejennalane | Sep 11, 2016 |
(no words)

Eric Rohmann's Caldecott Honor-winning debut is now available as a Dragonfly paperback. It is at once a wordless time-travel adventure and a meditation on the scientific theory that dinosaurs were the evolutionary ancestors of birds.

Time Flies , a wordless picture book, is inspired by the theory that birds are the modern relatives of dinosaurs.  This story conveys the tale of a bird trapped in a dinosaur exhibit at a natural history museum.  Through Eric's use of color, readers can actually see the bird enter into a mouth of a dinosaur, and then escape unscathed.

The New York Times Book Review called Time Flies "a work of informed imagination and masterly storytelling unobtrusively underpinned by good science...an entirely absorbing narrative made all the more rich by its wordlessness." Kirkus Reviews hailed it as "a splendid debut."

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:51 -0400)

A wordless tale in which a bird flying around the dinosaur exhibit in a natural history museum has an unsettling experience when the dinosaur seems to come to life and view the bird as a potential meal.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,881,302 books! | Top bar: Always visible