My Best Friend's Girl by Dorothy…

My Best Friend's Girl (2006)

by Dorothy Koomson

English (22)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (1)  All languages (25)
This novel is related by Kamryn, a young business woman who has become estranged both from her closest friend Adele, and her former fiancé Nate. The story opens on her 32nd birthday. Amidst the cards she opens - by mistake - an envelope in Adele's handwriting, and finds a note asking her to visit her friend in hospital.

Against her better judgemet, Kamryn goes to see Adele, and they begin a tentative reconciliation. They also have a discussion which ends with Kamryn agreeing to do something she has grave doubts about, and which will change her life forever.

It's impossible to say much more about the plot without giving something away; even the blurb on the back contains some spoilers. Not that they matter too much; the novel is character-based, with developing relationships through painful, sometimes tragic circumstances.

And yet it's a very good read which I found uplifting and encouraging. Kamryn is a very likeable young woman, who takes her responsibilities seriously. Adele's daughter Tegan is the 'best friend's girl' of the title; we meet her first when she is a scared, hurting five-year-old, terrified even to speak lest she get into trouble. Her terrible circumstances move Kamryn as nothing else could have done; one of the things I enjoyed most about this book was seeing Tegan's gradual transformation into an outgoing, lively girl who remains caring and thoughtful.

There are two important men in the book, too: one of them is Nate, who re-appears in Kamryn's life, and the other is her new boss Luke, who seems to dislike her on sight. They both develop special relationships with Tegan in very different ways, and I enjoyed the contrast.

Some bad language, thought perhaps not over-done, and the casual morals that seem compulsory in modern fiction - but, all in all, a very thought-provoking and powerful book. Really four and a half stars. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
An enjoyable read about friendship, parenting and forgiveness. Looking forward to reading something else by this author. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
This story she has built around Ryn and Tegan is wonderful. I love reading her stories because there is always substance, a well-built history that fits together and where the past comes back as a boomerang and is entwined in the present and makes you wonder about the future. ( )
  Ingstje | Jan 18, 2016 |
There should be a rating for 'ambivalent' - I neither liked nor hated it! ( )
  Bagpuss | Jan 17, 2016 |
Count me as one of the readers who thought this would be lighter, and shallower, than it was. The other cover is much better, imo. The ending was kinda abrupt, but overall it was def. an enjoyable and provocative read, and I will be looking at more in this imprint (is that the right word?) and by this author. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
To my wonderful family and friends. You know who you are.
To be honest, I'd been tired so long I don't remember, not accurately, when realized something serious was wrong with me.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055359141X, Mass Market Paperback)

How far would you go for the best friend who broke your heart? This internationally bestselling novel tells an enchanting tale of life’s most unpredictable loves and heartaches, and the unforgettable bond between a single woman and an extraordinary five-year-old girl. From the moment they met in college, best friends Adele Brannon and Kamryn Matika thought nothing could come between them—until Adele did the unthinkable and slept with Kamryn’s fiancé, Nate. Now, after years of silence, the two women are reuniting, and Adele has a stunning request for her old friend: she wants Kamryn to adopt her five-year-old daughter, Tegan.

Besides the difference in skin color—many will assume that headstrong, impulsive Kamryn is Tegan’s nanny—there’s the inconvenient truth that Kamryn is wholly unprepared to take care of anyone, especially someone who reminds her so much of Nate. With crises brewing at work and her love life in shambles, can Kamryn somehow become the mother a little girl needs her to be?

In My Best Friend’s Girl, Dorothy Koomson takes us on a warm and wondrous journey through laughter and tears, forgiveness and hope—and the enduring love forged by the unlikeliest of families.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:04:32 -0400)

What would you do for the friend who broke your heart? Best friends Kamryn and Adele thought nothing could come between them, until Adele slept with Kamryn's fiance, Nate. Worse still, she got pregnant and had his child. When Kamryn discovered the truth about their betrayal she vowed never to see any of them again.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,251,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible