Not This Time by Vicki Hinze

Not This Time (edition 2012)

by Vicki Hinze

Author: Vicki Hinze
Pages: 328
Year: 2012
Publisher: Multnomah
Have you ever been betrayed or deceived by someone you trusted? I know I have, and it is very painful. That is one of the themes in this story. There are also extreme loyalty, love, confrontation, lies, and murder. Sound interesting yet?
Sara and Beth are best friends and business partners. They own a computer company and have made millions of dollars, but they both are very down-to-earth ladies. Their business works with the government sometimes. Sara has married Robert via a 5-week courtship and elopement. Beth thinks Robert is a slime ball who is just using Sara for her money. Beth is single for now. Sara has health issues that require close monitoring and Beth is always on-hand to look after her. Lately, Sara has been acting weird, but won’t discuss what’s going on. Beth is determined to find what’s happening. Then, Robert is kidnapped and a ransom is demanded.
Sara is hospitalized with a medical emergency, so that leaves Beth to pay the ransom. She doesn’t pay it to free Robert, but because she loves Sara. However, the ransom is never picked up. What’s going on? Is Robert already dead? Sara is able to leave the hospital after a few days. Beth has been keeping in contact with Joe, who works for the government watching spies and their organizations. Is that what is at work in this case? Beth and Joe talk frequently on the phone and develop a relationship. Beth has trouble trusting him, as well as herself, in their developing relationship. Is Joe the one God has brought to her as the one to spend her life with? Sara admits something is going on, but refuses to tell anyone about it. The lead detective on the case begins to have feelings for Sara, but doesn’t act on them as he knows she is married. Sara returns those feelings, but she won’t act on them either. As the situation comes to the highpoint, can these characters trust when lives are on the line?
There is lots of tension amongst the various characters, and danger abounds for some. The story flows nicely, and I thought the characters were fleshed out well. I’ll be reading more of this author’s books in the future for sure!
My rating is 4 stars.
Note: I received a complimentary copy for an honest review of this book. The opinions shared in this review are solely my responsibility. Other reviews can be read at http://seekingwithallyurheart.blogspot.com/ . Also follow me on Twitter @lcjohnson1988, FaceBook at https://www.facebook.com/lisa.johnson.75457 ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Nov 8, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Not This Time is book 3 in Vicki Hinze’s Crossroad Crisis series. I read book 1, Forget Me Not and enjoyed it., but have not read book 2, Deadly Ties. That may be why I didn’t really connect with this story. The books are set in the fictional Florida Panhandle coast community of Seagrove Village where everyone knows everyone. The reader is expected to as well. There are lots of people mentioned but not a lot of context, so I was a bit distracted trying to figure out relationships and not focused on the story at hand. My suggestion is to start at the beginning of the series and read them in order.

Beth is a very successful computer software business woman with ties to Quantico. She and her partner Sara have been friends since college and have a very close relationship. Or at least they did until Sara married Robert whom Beth detests. A terrorist attack and Sara’s missing husband, put Beth on the alert and Sara in the hospital. Now the mystery surrounding Sara’s secrets and Robert’s kidnapping are front and center for Beth and an attractive, yet elusive Special Ops agent, Joe.

Not This Time is a romantic suspense novel, heavy on the romance. The suspense revolves around a terrorist organization that has infiltrated the small town. Long time residents and newcomers alike are under scrutiny. You really can’t be sure of whom to trust. A bit predictable, the novel is nevertheless quick-paced and should be considered escape reading. ( )
  vintagebeckie | Aug 19, 2013 |
Posted on Romancing the Book's blog
Reviewed by Lisa
Review Copy Provided by Edelweiss

Beth Dawson and Sara Jones-Tayton run a successful software business called SaBe that assists the government with security issues. After a whirl wind courtship Sara marries the mysterious Robert Tayton. With Beth and Sara’s relationship now strained due to Robert, Beth becomes the prime suspect when Robert is kidnapped. After an act of terrorism and Robert’s kidnapping, Beth life is turned upside down. Beth will have to rely on her faith and a man from her past to solve Robert’s kidnapping.

Terrorism has come to the small town of Seagrove Village, Florida, courtesy of Nihilists in Anarchy (NINA) in Vicki Hinze’s third book in the Crossroads Crisis Center series, Not This Time. This is a fast paced romantic suspense book that introduces many characters in the first several chapters. For that reason, I do recommend reading the other Crossroads Crisis Center books in the series for additional background on some of the characters. The main characters of Beth and Sara are well developed, as are the secondary characters. The reader can easily become emotionally invested in the characters of Beth and Sara and the outcome of Robert’s kidnapping.

Not This Time has plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader engaged and guessing until the end. There is good flow to the story and the plot moves quickly as do the subplots. Christian themes of redemption and forgiveness are incorporated which compliment the elements of romantic suspense effortlessly. Fasten your seatbelt and get ready for a wild ride in Seagrove Village. If you are looking for great suspense book with romantic elements, this one will not disappoint.

Favorite Quote: “Some people were in your life for your whole life, but most were there just for a season. When it ended, they moved on and so did you. Of those people, some were blessings, some gave you something you needed, and some took something they needed.” ( )
  RtB | Aug 21, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was pleased to receive this advanced review copy and Ms. Hinze did not disappoint. This series continues to hold my attention. As with the preceding books in the series, this was a quick and exciting read, though it was a bit confusing early on keeping track of some of the peripheral characters since some time has passed since reading the last installment. Still, this in no way detracted from my enjoyment of the book and my teenager already has dibs on reading it next. It is a pleasure not to have to worry about whether or not the book will be appropriate. I will definitely continue on with this series! ( )
  mnegranza | Jul 17, 2012 |
I loved this book. There was so much going on that the story just flew by. There was drama, suspense, mystery, romance, it had so much too it.

The characters were pretty good. Sara reminded me of myself a bit. She was so loyal to her friend Beth that she would have done anything to protect her. She didn't have the best idea, but she was doing what she thought she had to do to keep those around her safe. I wish she reminded me of myself because she was rich - but we can all dream right? Beth was also loyal, but seemed to have a much stronger support group around her. She was able to deal with things, but also checked with her friends to get their advice on what she should do. The two seemed to have the kind of friendship that everyone wants. Even with Beth's doubts about Sara's husband Beth is able to keep their friendship strong without pushing Sara away by voicing her displeasure with Sara's husband. I don't know that I would have been able to keep my mouth shut that long, but somehow Beth does it. She lets her need to be Sara's friend over ride her despise for Robert.

The story is the second in a series, and I didn't get to read the first one. However, this was so well written that all of the back story was filled in and I didn't feel like the author was just throwing information at me. Everything had a reason, and as the need for a particular fact arose Hinze wove it into the story beautifully. I still would like to read the fist one, but I don't feel like I was "missing" anything from the first book.

It's a pretty quick read. The mystery of Nina and who in the small circle of characters is part of Nina was exciting to try and figure out. Just when you think you've got it all figured out there's another clue that kind of throws everything off. It doesn't take a complete turn, but it give the story a bit of a jog. Just enough to keep it exciting without being frustrating! There's a few things that I didn't see coming but they were by no means so far out of the park that they didn't fit the story. I was masterfully put together!

My favorite thing about this book is that although there was quite a bit going on it wasn't a confusing story. I didn't have to re-read any of it and it didn't take much to keep myself on track. I was able to keep up with everything - which can sometimes be a problem in a book that has so much going on! ( )
  Justjenniferreading | Jul 9, 2012 |

Beth's leeriness of her business partner Sara's husband causes strain in their friendship, and, meanwhile, a terrorist act is carried out on their small village, and someone Beth knows is linked to the attack.

Vicki Hinze is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Vicki Hinze chatted with LibraryThing members from Mar 1, 2010 to Mar 14, 2010. Read the chat.

7 wanted1 pay1 pay

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Not This Time by Vicki Hinze was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,876,665 books! | Top bar: Always visible