What Is a Mammal? by Bobbie Kalman

What Is a Mammal?

by Bobbie Kalman

411279,442NoneNone

Summary of book:
This book is an excellent introductory book on mammals. It starts off giving a general definition and then goes on to explain about them in more detail. It has small chapters on how mammals body's are, that they produce milk, that most mammals grow with a placenta, gives examples of the few mammals that lay eggs, and then breaks down into the more physical differences between mammals, as well as what they eat.

Personal Reaction:
I loved the detail the book went into. I also loved that they used actual pictures instead of cartoons, and used lifelike renderings to show exactly how things would look inside of the mammals. I also liked how the book compared the hands of different mammals so that children understand what is being said and can use the pictures as a reference. I would definitely use this book as part of my read aloud with students, as well as in my classroom library. Another great feature to the book is it has an index and glossary so it could be used as a reference book for writing.

Classroom Extensions:
1. I would read this book aloud to my class when we are learning about mammals for story time, and then ask them what things they learned that were new to them.
2. I would give the students pictures of different animals of all classifications on a page and have them pick out all the mammals. They would then color and glue them onto construction paper.
3. I would have students each write about their favorite mammal form the book, and what they learned about that mammal.
  JennDunham | Nov 23, 2016 |

This delightful new book shows children ways in which mammals are different from other living things. Fascinating examples, from mammals that lay eggs to mammals with a pouch to humans, are featured. Full color.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:27 -0400)

Introduces mammals, showing and describing the main groups and discussing their anatomy, habitats, reproduction, and diet.

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,446,334 books! | Top bar: Always visible