I'm Here by Peter H. Reynolds

I'm Here (edition 2011)

by Peter H. Reynolds, Peter H. Reynolds (Illustrator)

Member:Tabarca
Title:I'm Here
Authors:Peter H. Reynolds
Other authors:Peter H. Reynolds (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2011), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Autism, Multicultural, Childhood, Coping, Being Different, Friendship, Picture Book, Quote, Dedication, Where Ideas Come From, Reaching Out, School, Fiction, Text Treasures, Contemporary Realistic Fiction

I'm Here by Peter H. Reynolds

A quiet, subtle story with powerful message. ( )
1 vote Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Written with a goal of encouraging children and adults to reach out, embrace, and appreciate children in the autism spectrum as well as anyone who is different from ourselves, I’m Here suggests that young readers rethink their ideas about a child who prefers solitude or who is not skillful at social interactions.

At recess, a young boy sits, by himself. The loud, playground voices are too much for him, I hear it all like one big noise. A big drum. Boom. Boom. Boom Boom.

Sitting away from the crowd he feels the touch of the wind, notices a floating leaf. When a piece of paper lands near him, he knows, “This is not where the paper wants to be.” He folds the paper into an airplane and launches it heavenward. Soon, the young boy is flying in the plane, exhuberant at the adventure.

A thoughtful, metaphorical picture book, I’m Here explores themes of friendship and acceptance and encourages children to look for opportunities to smile and be a friend.
1 vote storytimestandouts | Feb 14, 2013 |
With spashes of color and onomatopeoia, this narrative is a minimalist tale of the experiences and perspectives of children who are introverted and creative, as they contend with and overcome loneliness and isolation. ( )
1 vote manich01 | Jul 10, 2012 |
A boy is here, yet no one notices. He’s in his own little world. He likes that. But he is a little lonely, too. Just in time a paper airplane glides in.

“I make a fold. I fold, fold, fold, fold, fold….
I’m done. Ready?
We’re off! Clouds! Higher. Higher. Higher!
And look---stars!” ( )
  debnance | Nov 23, 2011 |

In a crowded park, a boy makes an airplane out of a piece of paper carried to him by a gentle breeze, sends it on its way, and watches a new friend bring it back to him.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,276,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible