I'm Here by Peter H. Reynolds

I'm Here (edition 2011)

by Peter H. Reynolds, Peter H. Reynolds (Illustrator)

Member:Tabarca
Title:I'm Here
Authors:Peter H. Reynolds
Other authors:Peter H. Reynolds (Illustrator)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2011), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Autism, Multicultural, Childhood, Coping, Being Different, Friendship, Picture Book, Quote, Dedication, Where Ideas Come From, Reaching Out, School, Fiction, Text Treasures, Contemporary Realistic Fiction

I'm Here by Peter H. Reynolds

This book beautifully captures the importance of acceptance of all people, notably people with disabilities. It speaks to children who struggle in finding friends and/or children who seek to be loved and heard as the people they are- a notion that is applicable to all people. This book excels in its plot, illustrations, and writing, three features which I enjoyed most about this book.

The plot follows a young child who struggles to connect with his peers, but finds comfort in his own mind and imagination- a place that is quiet and free. I enjoyed the organization of the plot and the way it flowed page by page. Each scene introduced is in the perspective of the child and flows smoothly into his next thought, even though the transitions may not be so clear in the boy’s mind.

The illustrations were very simple, yet profound in the way that they drew the reader into every detail. I especially like the use of watercolor in the scenes where the boy is being transported by his imagination, granting a sense of exploration and fluidity in the pages. Because of their simplicity and creativity, the illustrations connect with the reader, even if the text were not present.

The writing however is a feature that I enjoyed so much in this book, as it was clear and utilized words that any reader can comprehend. This feature is so important and lends itself further to the way the book is able to connect to readers. A sample of writing that I really enjoyed was the section where the boy explains, “I hear it all like one big noise. A big drum. Boom. Boom. Boom. Boom.” This writing sample is so clear and transports the reader into the mind of this boy so effortlessly.

The main message of acceptance and the way the book so easily connects to readers is reason enough to demonstrate the wonder that is “I’m Here”. When accompanied with a stellar plot, captivating illustrations, and profound writing, this book is truly one of a kind. ( )
  GabrielleAmaro | Mar 7, 2016 |
Loved it. This book reminded me so much of myself as a child, and I wish I would have been able to read it then. It's just lovely. ( )
  DanielleMD | Jun 20, 2015 |
At the playground all the children are playing, but one little boy who is left by himself saying "I am here." Until a lost piece of paper is cared by the wind and lands right in front of him and he begins to say ' I am here.' After that, he beings to fold the paper into a paper airplane, which ends up taking him on a ride through the clouds seeing stars and splashes of sounds leading him to shout " I Here." Now it is time for the young boy to land and he notices some else.... The story is a great one expressing how each child is different in their own way and not all friends are made the same way. ( )
  Dallas_Lee | Apr 13, 2015 |
A little boy sits apart while other kids play on the playground. A piece of paper floats to him on the breeze, and he folds it into a plane...

[Imagination] ...in which he sails up through the clouds and into the stars; when he returns, the other kids catch him for a soft landing, then send him up again...

A little girl notices his plane and returns it to him, and they sit together. Here.

According to the back flap copy, Reynolds "wrote and illustrated I'm Here to help us all reach out, embrace, and appreciate children in the autism spectrum, as well as anyone who is different from ourselves." ( )
  JennyArch | Nov 4, 2014 |
A quiet, subtle story with powerful message. ( )
1 vote Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |

In a crowded park, a boy makes an airplane out of a piece of paper carried to him by a gentle breeze, sends it on its way, and watches a new friend bring it back to him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,511,951 books! | Top bar: Always visible