Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan

Title:Warprize
Authors:Elizabeth Vaughan
Info:Tor Paranormal Romance (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages

Warprize by Elizabeth Vaughan

The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley (flemmily)
    flemmily: Warprize is simpler than The Blue Sword, and the world is not quite as interesting as the unique and compelling Damar. But both books tell the story of a girl carried away by a barbarian culture.
    Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison (dashing45)
    dashing45: Dragon Bound is a paranormal romance story, but you may enjoy it, if you cared for Warprize.
    A Promise of Fire by Amanda Bouchet (jillmhendrix)
    Crown Duel (Crown Duel / Court Duel) by Sherwood Smith (shoujo85)
    Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson (infiniteletters)
    Jaran by Kate Elliott (Talis)
    King's Property by Morgan Howell (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: Different premise, same culture shock.

Cardboard. That's the word that comes to mind after finishing this book. Cardboard characters, cardboard situations and cardboard writing.
A pity, really. It had all the potential to become a really good story, but it never delivered. It was like watching a low-cost movie with too-fake props and not enough funds to pay a good writer. ( )
  Tacuazin | Feb 28, 2018 |
On the surface, Warprize is your typical, sometimes over-dramatic fantasy romance. But underneath that...it's a deep undertaking in the clashing of cultures, of the power and pain of listening, thinking, and evolving when two peoples collide.

On one hand you have the Xyians, equivalent to medieval Europe, and heart of modern medicine (at least, modern in their world). On the other, you have the people of the Plains - fierce, open, nomadic tribal folk who worship the elements. I loved getting to know the customs and expectations of these people. I loved bemoaning their reluctance to try more modern medical remedies on religious grounds. I loved their acceptance of certain rituals and ideas, their free-flowing nature. But I loved too the presentation of problems that arose from those old customs and expectations - that the people of the Plains might be different from Lara's seemingly conservative world, but that does not necessarily mean better. It just means that they are conservative about...different things.

Lara's journey as she learns to know these people and brings to them the idea of healing with plants and medicines is gripping. You feel with her when she becomes a tribute to the Warlord of the Plains. You grin at the fact that even terrified she can't ignore her true professional calling. You sympathize with her and Keir when progress is achingly slow or outright rejected. You laugh with her when she learns to adopt or let go of new and old ways of thinking herself.

And her relationship with Keir is...wonderful. Their push and pull on each other is sweet and exciting, though sometimes over-dramatic in the way that romances get. But they treat each other as equals. They laugh and fight and work together as a team in the face of the bigger picture - bringing change when the one thing human beings are afraid of the most is change. ( )
  srsharms | Jul 20, 2017 |
This was... not what I was expecting for some reason. I guess I was thinking it would be a bit darker, but this was surprisingly light and sweet.

I quite liked Lara and her personality in general. The side characters all had a lovely depth that made me want to best for everyone, although there were one or two that seemed to trail off (Heath and... the guy whose name started with an I that was against Keir. Yeah, that guy). At times Lara could seem a bit too nice, and Keir never made sense to me at all. His position among his people would mean to me that personality would be vastly different (re: harder) than he ever acted. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I feel like Lara and Simus had the most personality in the whole story.

Huh.

I do want to continue reading though to see where this worldbuilding is going to go, because that was definitely one of the better parts of the story. Not too detailed, but just enough. ( )
  GoldenDarter | Sep 15, 2016 |
3.5 ( )
  Amanda105 | Sep 5, 2016 |
I heard a lot of good raves, but I found the book a little lacking. Mostly that there wasn't much to happen in the first book. It was really slow and not all that exciting. My thoughts at least. ( )
  bookharpy | Jul 4, 2016 |

Elizabeth Vaughanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Desthuilliers, CécileTraductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my parents, Park and Patricia Vaughan
I pulled the shard out just as his wound began spurting blood.
First book is Warprize. Do not combine with multi-volume works.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0765352648, Mass Market Paperback)

SHE MUST CHOOSE BETWEEN HER PEOPLE AND HER FREEDOM...

Xylara is the Daughter of the Warrior King, Xyron. With her father dead and her incompetent half-brother on the throne, the kingdom is in danger of falling to the warring Firelanders.

Before she was old enough for a marriage-of-alliance, Xylara was trained as a healer. She can't usurp her brother or negotiate a peace--but she can heal the brave ones injured in battle.

But not only her countrymen are wounded, and Xylara's conscience won't let Firelander warriors die when she can do something to save them. She learns their language and their customs and tries to make them as comfortable as possible, despite their prisoner-of-war status.

She never expects that these deeds, done in good faith, would lead to the handsome and mysterious Firelander Warlord demanding her in exchange for a cease-fire. Xylara knows must trade the life she has always known for the well-being of her people, and so she becomes...

The Warprize

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:13 -0400)

She sacrificed herself to stop a war and save her people, and now she is the... warprize.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,834,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible