Dying Voices by Laura Wilson

Dying Voices

by Laura Wilson

When Dodie Blackstock, only child of multi-millionaire Wolf Blackstock, is told that her mother's body has been found in a housing estate in Hackney, she is shocked. When she is told that her mother, Susan, has been dead for less than 48 hours, she is devastated. For Susan was kidnapped, apparently by a politically motivated group, when Dodie was nine. Susan was never found, and she was presumed dead. Traumatised by her lonely childhood, Dodie has been estranged from her dysfunctional and complicated family for years. She returns to Camoys Hall, the Blackstock's stately home, to talk to her step-mother Joan, who lives there by herself. But Dodie finds more than she bargained for - and then she starts to receive anonymous and threatening letters. Who it is who's waiting in the darkness outside Camoys Hall, watching her every move...?

My Thoughts:

Another great thriller from Laura Wilson. This time a young woman finds that her mother dead body is discovered but shw was always under the impression that her mother had been kidnapped and killed.

Laura Wilson is a brilliant writer and her thrillers always have that darker edge to them. There is always plenty of twists and turns that will keep you guessing until the end. I never guessed who in this case who the ‘baddie’ was. If the culprit was who I thought he was then this story would have had an even darker twist, but it turned out to be another character. Oh well ! ( )
  tina1969 | Nov 27, 2011 |
I got this as a free book with my Sony Reader. The language is a bit British, but not still readable. This was an incredibly complicated mystery. I'm not sure things were really resolved at the end, since it seemed to me the heroine still had a huge pile of issues to work through. The characters were very well drawn, I will say, but the plot was incredibly convoluted. I don't think I'll be seeking out other works from this author. ( )
  PermaSwooned | Feb 22, 2009 |
To Michael,

who is the hero of this book

in more ways than one
It happened when I was on my way to work.

When Dodie Blackstock, only child of multi-millionaire Wolf Blackstock, is told that her mother's body has been found in a housing estate in Hackney, she is shocked. When she is told that her mother, Susan, has been dead for less than 48 hours, she is devastated. For Susan was kidnapped, apparently by a politically motivated group, when Dodie was eight. Susan was never found, and she was presumed dead. Traumatised by her lonely childhood, Dodie has been estranged from her dysfunctional and complicated family for years. She returns to Camoys Hall, the Blackstocks' stately home, to talk to her stepmother Joan, who lives there by herself. But Dodie finds more than she bargained for - and then she starts to receive anonymous and threatening letters. Who is waiting in the darkness outside Camoys Hall, watching her every move ...?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:48 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,119,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible