Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (334)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  English (339)
I did not have high hopes for this book, because 1. it was described to me as "Eat, Pray, Love" except hiking, and 2. It was an Oprah book club selection. However, there it was on the Hot Reads shelf, so I gave it a shot. Strayed is woefully unprepared for her hike, and because of the death of her mother, woefully unprepared to deal with life. Unlike EPL, though, I more worried about her than wanted to strangle her. By the end, she discovers her inner strength and who she is. Worth a read as Strayed goes on her hike to discover herself. ( )
  cookierooks | Nov 16, 2016 |
Fascinating story of a woman's lone hike of part of the PCT. Not fascinating enough that I ever want to do it, or any hike, but fascinating nonetheless. I could not relate to her profound feelings of loss about her mother, though I was a similar age when my mother died. Because of this, some of the profundities were lost on me. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
In a brief, sudden moment of inspiration while visiting an outdoor recreation store, Cheryl Strayed impulsively decides that hike the Pacific Crest Trail -- alone -- is just what she needs to get her life back on track and to find herself again after several years of personal hardship and tragedy.

Excellent travel writing! I rarely laugh out loud while reading, but the scene with the tiny frogs had me giggling in bed, trying not to awaken my spouse. As was my experience reading Planetwalker (John Francis), another highly recommended title, Wild book made me want to do nothing more than to lace up a pair of boots myself, throw on a backpack and hit the trail -- any trail. Though I'll likely never make it to the PCT myself, I feel as though I've experienced it vicariously. ( )
  ryner | Nov 8, 2016 |
I love Cheryl Strayed as Dear Sugar, and she definitely didn't disappoint in Wild. ( )
  hylandk | Nov 2, 2016 |
I enjoyed this story of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. Cheryl Strayed had to deal with the death of her mother and subsequent disintegration of her family. In addition, she cheated on, and divorced, a man she claimed to love. She used heroin...she was on a downward spiral and needed to deal with her issues and find her way back to a productive, happy life. She decided to hike the PCT...alone...with no pre-training or conditioning. And she made it! At times, she did what I would consider stupid and/or risky things. But she also found an inner strength and sense of purpose. Well worth reading. ( )
  LynnB | Oct 18, 2016 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,702,146 books! | Top bar: Always visible