dismiss

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.
    A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    The Trail North: A Solo Journey On The Pacific Coast by Hawk Greenway (jpjr)
    Rough Magic: Riding the World's Loneliest Horse Race by Lara Prior-Palmer (terran)
    terran: Both women are unprepared for the grueling experience upon which they embark
    Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (sturlington)
    The Pacific Crest Trail by William R. Gray (jpjr)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind - and Almost Found Myself - on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (430)  German (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  French (1)  All languages (437)
I love Cheryl Strayed's writing, so warm and honest - there's nothing she holds back about herself. Her plan to walk the Pacific Crest Trail (basically Mexico to Canada) with no training or real experience was clearly mad, as she frequently admits, but going through the pain and hardship clearly was a redemptive experience.

Don't try this at home but like her other book, Tiny Beautiful Things, there's a lot of truth and wise words in her prose. ( )
  arewenotben | Jul 31, 2020 |
Good plane book. Easy to get into and stay with. It was fun to read. Worth a read to escape our own life's drama and see how another person dealt with the blows the world threw at her in addition to how she put herself in harms way many times and came out on top.

I have added 'My first summer in the Sierra' to my reading list as the result of this book. John Muir founder of the Sierra Club. It would be interesting to talk to others that have read the books that Cheryl talks about on the trail. e.g. The Ten Thousand Things by Maria Dermout. ( )
  Jolene.M | Jul 30, 2020 |
The story of a young woman who tames her inner demons by tackling a mighty long hike on the Pacific coast trail. I enjoyed this one more than I thought I would. What a trek! The movie does a pretty good job translating page to screen. ( )
  wills2003 | Jul 30, 2020 |
Wild is a many-layered narrative. It chronicles Strayed's 1100-mile journey in a very Kerouacian way - this happened, and then this, and this - beneath which Strayed tells a subtler story of personal transformation. My full review is here. ( )
  markflanagan | Jul 13, 2020 |
Lots of people really liked this book. I wasn't one of them. I love to hike and thought a book about a woman hiking alone on the Pacific Crest Trail would be interesting and educational. Instead I found story is about a promiscuous drug user and the relationship with her mother. I would have preferred more about the PCT and less about her sexual peccadillos. Not to mention a horse named Lady. My advice is to skip that part.

She was so ill prepared for her hike she never even took a small hike to break in her brand new hiking boots. I thought the author comes off immature, entitled and self absorbed. The book is full of constant whining and self-pity. Again, lots of people really liked it so you may be one of them. ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Cheryl Strayedprimary authorall editionscalculated
Guitton, AnneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lefkow, LaurelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Wild (2014IMDb)
Première partie

The breaking of so great a thing
Should make a greater crack.
La chute d’un si grand homme
aurait dû faire plus de bruit.

William SHAKESPEARE
Antoine et Cléopâtre
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

Wikipedia: Wild is Cheryl Strayed's memoir of her 1,100-mile solo hike along the Pacific Crest Trail, beginning in the Mojave Desert and hiking through California and Oregon to the Bridge of the Gods into Washington. The book also contains flashbacks to prior life occurrences that led her to begin her journey.[1][2]

At age 22, Strayed had been devastated by the lung cancer death of her mother at 45. Her stepfather disengaged from Strayed's family, and her brother and sister remained distant. Strayed and her husband divorced, and eventually a lover convinced her to start using heroin.[1]

Seeking self-discovery and resolution of her enduring grief and personal challenges, at the age of 26, Strayed set out on her journey, alone and with no prior hiking experience. Wild intertwines the stories of Strayed's life before and during the journey, describing her physical challenges and spiritual realizations while on the trail.[1]

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,917,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible