Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

2,5031992,423 (3.96)199
Member:handy1
Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:nonfiction

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (196)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (199)
Thank you, Cheryl Strayed, for knowing where to start a memoir and where to finish it. All too often writers start long before the beginning and end long after the ending, making a spectacular middle of a book with early and late chapters I skip over, or drag my feet through. I appreciate that she didn't do this.

Wonderful read. ( )
  KRaySaulis | Aug 13, 2014 |
i am most everyone on LibraryThing and face book know something about this book. I actually cried when I finished the book! sad that it ended and joy for Cheryl's journey out of her deep sadness. I hope she writes a novel about the ending of way of life, the ending of a marriage from Paul's point of view ( )
  michaelbartley | Aug 10, 2014 |
It was intense, but it was a great trip! ( )
  Niecierpek | Aug 7, 2014 |
I think I am more to blame than the author for my "meh" rating. This book is well written but I don't really relate to the personal journey genre. I did something fairly similar to what the author chose, traipsing about for 2 years in China/Taiwan/Hong Kong with some short trips through Southeast Asia and the Pacific Rim. This was in the mid-80's when travelling in most of these areas was pretty rough. It was wonderful. I experienced significant personal growth. I was changed as a person. I did things so much stupider than what Strayed did that it boggles the mind. I was ill-prepared, occasionally promiscuous, often drunk, and nearly always in unsecured environs. I traipsed around newly rising Asia, sometimes with my boyfriend, sometimes with other people, sometimes alone, hitching rides on water buffalo carts, eating at street stalls, bathing from water heated in woks. It was transcendent. But I am not inclined to write about it because the journey was PERSONAL. I don't really groove on the overshare and (this is the main point) I do not grow from hearing about other people's journeys and don't think they would grow from hearing about mine. Its sort of like watching other people's slides. It really is about the journey. For most of this book I was bored, other times I was grossed out by her lack of personal hygiene and molting toenails (I bathed more when I trekked in the Himilayas and it was freezing), but I was never engaged, and definitely never felt I learned anything. But that is just me. ( )
  Narshkite | Aug 7, 2014 |
I stayed up to finish this book, at the same time filled with dread at its conclusion. Sigh. This is certainly one of those books that just struck a chord, just hit me square in the chest. Strayeds journey, both the physical and emotional, was amazing; and her writing fully transported me to where she was both on the trail and in her mind. ( )
  eenerd | Jul 30, 2014 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,094,826 books! | Top bar: Always visible