Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Ebooks

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (331)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (336)
I enjoyed this story of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. Cheryl Strayed had to deal with the death of her mother and subsequent disintegration of her family. In addition, she cheated on, and divorced, a man she claimed to love. She used heroin...she was on a downward spiral and needed to deal with her issues and find her way back to a productive, happy life. She decided to hike the PCT...alone...with no pre-training or conditioning. And she made it! At times, she did what I would consider stupid and/or risky things. But she also found an inner strength and sense of purpose. Well worth reading. ( )
  LynnB | Oct 18, 2016 |
I didn't really know anything about this book until a trailer for the film caught my eye. As per my usual rule, I will not watch the film until I have read the book and for this one in particular I am glad I stuck to it.

Wild, is a poignant, gritty and ultimately uplifting memoir from American, Cheryl Strayed. The book has been written by Cheryl herself with the aid of her notes from the hike and the memories to which she holds dear. I loved this book, it is a real warts and all account. She does not try and hide the complete and utter devastation she suffered or caused. She in no way tries to glamourise or legitimise anything that was done to her or she did to others and this made me have a lot of respect for this author.

The book, I felt, has been written with real clarity from a hindsight perspective, which for the sake of the memoir is a good thing. She has picked out and sewn together a brilliant, flowing and logical account of what happened, both within her life prior to, and on the actual months of hiking the PCT.

I relished meeting the colourful (and not so colourful) characters on her journey, the vivid (but not boring) descriptions of her landscapes and the equally amazing and dire conditions she found herself experiencing on this, her journey of a life time. Often I found myself desperate to read on just to know she made it to her next postal point so she could collect her next box of supplies.

This is a book about not quitting. About not listening to those who think you can't do something. It's about the amazing things our bodies and minds can be pushed to do, when we think it would never be possible in a million years. Would I want to do the things Cheryl did in order to get to this point in her life where she needed such clarity? Never. But will I ever think I can't do that again? Not so much. ( )
  LynseySummers | Oct 9, 2016 |
Wild is an honest account of one woman's collapse into grief and her way of trying to get back to herself. She makes disastrous choices at times, but those choices become part of her and, to my mind, make her a much more interesting person than someone who plays it by the book. ( )
  missizicks | Sep 10, 2016 |
Great read. Thoroughly enjoyed it. ( )
  trezzadude | Sep 7, 2016 |
I couldn't put this book down fast enough. I think the fact its in the 'fiction' section of the bookstore says a lot about it's authenticity. Did she really do this walk or was it just this is what I think hiking be like. I can't be bothered to find out. I didn't like her at all. ( )
  tamarah71 | Sep 5, 2016 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.
A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)
Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,739,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible