Wild (From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild (From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail) (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

3,1932541,745 (3.93)251
Member:nysmith
Title:Wild (From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail)
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition, 338 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:non-fiction

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail (Outdoor Lives) by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (250)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All languages (254)
If Cheryl Strayed is being candid in this book, then it's one of the more honest I've read. Newly divorced, acutely mourning the death of her mother from four years earlier, and fresh from a heroin episode with a druggie buddy, she set out on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) alone and unprepared, and with her only companion, an over-stuffed and back-breakingly heavy backpack she names Monster. Cheryl and Monster trek across hundreds of miles together, encountering wild animals, mostly friendly and supportive hikers and stopover staff, and inclement weather, tough terrain, complete isolation, and incredible beauty from a 2-foot wide trail winding through two of the U.S.'s most rugged mountain ranges. She hikes for months, and at the end of her journey, she has renewed her most difficult relationship: the one with herself.

Cheryl ruthlessly shares her downfalls and struggles, and takes responsibility for hurting loved ones and destroying her life. She does not make excuses or justify her actions, but as time marches foward, she becomes kinder and more understanding about why she made the life choices she did. She forgives herself, which allows for forgiveness of others.

As the book progresses, I became increasingly more uncomfortable as I was making many connections with my own life; the empathy I felt for her grief, fear, inappropriate behavior, and healing was also for my own. For several days, I soul-searched to resolve issues the work raised for me. Its cathartic influence allowed me to step forward through some of my own history toward new adventures in my life. I agree with a previous reviewer that every woman should read this book, along with Women Who Run with the Wolves, Gift from the Sea, Blue Horses Rush In, West with the Night, and a number of other works that show women as solo creators of their own lives. ( )
  brickhorse | May 20, 2015 |
I may have made a mistake by seeing the movie first, but after I did, I knew I had to read the book too. Both the movie AND the book are amazing. After her mother died, Cheryl Strayed dealt with her grief in a myriad of unhealthy ways, before deciding to hike the Pacific Crest Trail. Every day (sometimes every minute!) she wanted to quit--but she didn't. I can't imagine doing what she did, anymore than I can imagine losing my mother to cancer at a young age. I remember thinking, this is a crazy way to deal with grief--it isn't going to help. But who is to say how anyone should grieve? And it seems like this journey did help Cheryl come to terms with her life, and to start a new one, at the end of her trip. Well written; I could not put it down. ( )
  cherybear | May 20, 2015 |
An inspiring read about Cheryl Strayed's hike of the Pacific Crest Trail, including her many adventures on -- and near -- the PCT. A heartbreaking story of loss, then being lost, then finding something while hiking alone. Didn't realize until I read the book that she hiked the PCT in 1995 -- and just recently was able to write the story of it. I liked much of her storytelling and her adventures, and my heart broke several times as she recounts her mother (perhaps I was thinking of my mother too), but I guess I was looking for something more that I did not find in her telling. Great read for outdoor activists, as well as those who have suffered an early death of a family member. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | May 6, 2015 |
I would give this 10 stars. Every woman should read this book even if you never considered hiking. The younger you are the better, however, because of the amazing message in this story of how to address issues that come up in life. There are always solutions if you look at the bigger picture rather than the singular problem or dilemma. The unabridged audio version is wonderful, 11 CDs but well worth the time. ( )
  Donura1 | May 5, 2015 |
I enjoyed the narrative of her time on the Pacific Coast Trail, much like an friend telling for of a great trip she had experienced. However, I never felt there was a compelling story, and in the end asked, 'so what?' ( )
  hifiny | May 5, 2015 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,165,720 books! | Top bar: Always visible