Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Member:txorig
Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (309)  German (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (314)
I am into hiking and picked this up in a charity shop because I was collecting books about walking with a vague idea about writing something on that theme. I expected something light and fluffy, a chicklit poor-little-rich-girl- goes-hiking-to-find-herself. What I got was a genuinely sublime reading experience, from the rigorous self-destructiveness of the time after her mother's death, though deep insights into the process of accompanying someone through dying, to the sheer exhiliration of total exhaustion at the limits of the body where fear, gulit, need and anxiety slide off like the skin peeling from her hips and feet.
There is a compelling structure to the book (I was kept going until near the end by the need to find out what happens after the opening paragraph, which looks forward to a point way ahead in the narrative) and every time I opened it there was a gift waiting there in this woman's telling of her experience. Don't expect a book that tells a straightforward story; it tell how grief suddenly pull us back, triggered by unexpected and even surreal stimuli. And the hike is of course a metaphor, but though there is a happy ending, redemption isn't as simple as in the movies (or the movie of this book). Altogther, a brilliant read that can teach you a lot. ( )
  Mijk | Apr 22, 2016 |
When I first heard about this book, I thought that the idea of anyone trying to hike the Pacific Crest Trail unprepared was stupid, and Cheryl Strayed must have just been really lucky. What I learned from reading this book is another metaphoric example of "don't judge a book by its cover" . First, I couldn't put it down. Strayed's writing was compelling, and the structure with which she presents the events both on the trail and of her life is graceful, seamless and substantive. "Unprepared" takes on a new meaning, and I gained new more understanding of grief, never having experienced it that way myself. ( )
  Lylee | Apr 3, 2016 |
(52-Weeks 52-Books Week 2014.52)

Read this one for our Tomball library fiction book group. This has been on my TBR pile for quite some time and on several book lists, so glad it moved to the top of the pile once it was picked for our library.

Excellent! You laugh, you shudder, you cringe and your heart goes out to Strayed and you cheer for her to make it to the end of this journey and not just the hike on the Pacific Crest Trail but to find her way back to a responsible fulfilled life.

Highly recommend for any book group and a must read for all. We heard mixed reviews on the movie version. ( )
  yvonne.sevignykaiser | Apr 2, 2016 |
I finished this book a couple of days ago, and have not been able to get it out of my mind. I was happily coming to Goodreads to give my glowing review, but was pretty annoyed at a few of the recent reviews, so I wanted to address that first. The bravery and honesty that flowed from those pages touched me deep into my soul, and to see her described as dimwitted and self absorbed is insulting to the author and to those of us who were moved by her story. If you want to read about a well planned trip by a prepared hiker who has no issues, go and buy a guide book about hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. I'm sure you'll find it very informative.

'Wild' is a beautifully descriptive story about loss, pain, nearly giving up, and pushing on. I felt like I was right there next to Cheryl, my pack so heavy, my feet bleeding and sore, filthy, hungry and lonely. I couldn't believe she kept going, but also would have been crushed if she hadn't. I loved every moment of this book and am just blown away by the author's audacity and courage. I will probably never be able to go three months in the wild, but I sure loved living vicariously through Cheryl in her 'Wild. ( )
  Sandra_Berglund | Mar 30, 2016 |
Part hiking memoir of the Pacific Coast Trail, and part story of one's coming to terms with themselves. ( )
  wvlibrarydude | Mar 14, 2016 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,535 books! | Top bar: Always visible