Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Member:txorig
Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail (Outdoor Lives) by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (233)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (236)
Wild by Cheryl Strayed is a literary memoir of her decision to hike the Pacific Crest Trail on her own as a way of dealing with her mother's sudden death. This book is a literary work and should be assessed as such. For me, the decisions Cheryl Strayed makes in her life are not open to discussion. Her life, her decisions. What is the discussion here is the story she tells, and the book is a riveting story.

Read my complete review at: http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2015/03/wild-from-lost-to-found-on-pacific.html ( )
  njmom3 | Mar 25, 2015 |
Be very careful about the time you pick to start this book, because you will not be able to put it down, and it is exhausting. I would worry that something bad was going to happen so I would read ahead a few pages very quickly, and then once consoled, would go back and re-read, slower.

The writing is incredibly vivid. You feel every step of the train, you wince and sweat and shiver. At one point I was reading on the subway and a particularly vivid description (no spoilers!) made me yelp out loud and jump out of my seat as though I was physically experiencing what Cheryl Strayed had described.

An absorbing, enriching read. Even if you think "I don't care about the great outdoors" or might think the story or the journey is not your bag, Strayed has made her experience absolutely relatable. ( )
  Caryn.Rose | Mar 18, 2015 |
Part boring, part completely unbelievable with a very few little sparks of her actually coming to grips with her life.

Some of the things that drove me insane about this book:

-- The boots that didn’t fit but didn’t slow her down at all then there were her toenails and the ripping of them off and that didn’t slow her down either. Then hiking the mountains in sandals covered in duct tape, come on, really?

--All the men she thought wanted to have sex with her, honey you have been hiking through the mountains you are dirty, sweaty and just plain nasty, this is all in your head!

-- She also seemed to have the quickest and easiest heroin withdrawal of anyone I’ve ever heard of, she just decided one day to quit and never had a single withdrawal symptom or DT’s or anything

--Do I really care that you are too tired to even masturbate? No, really, No, I never needed to know that and why you chose to keep that in the book makes no sense to me.

Some of the things I liked about this book:

Umm well there was…..

No… wait….

Yeah there was the part…

Um no not that either
Oh what about….

No not that.

Well you get the drift.

2 stars ( )
  susiesharp | Mar 9, 2015 |
I guess I had expected more of this book. After a time I found myself skipping entire passages. The reading experience felt very much like hiking feels for me: much is about watching your feet and that limits the views.
Yet I didn't want to put it aside. I was also impressed by her stubborn courage. It's easy to laugh at her inexperienced choices, but she chose the hard way to learn and this made the book ok for me. ( )
  chrisgalle | Mar 5, 2015 |
Strayed's essay "Heroin/e" had me crying like a baby, and the opening chapters to Wild, which rework that essay in many ways, had the same impact. It's probably not surprising then that the most interesting parts of this book, in my opinion, were the sections where she ruminated on her grief, her loss, her mistakes. Not in an apologetic way, but honestly. Grief is ugly and she didn't attempt to beautify it in anyway.

The actually hiking, however, was not as interesting to me. And that's not because I'm disinterested in it or the PCT as topic. It's primarily because, as she says throughout, she had no idea what she was doing. Every time she mentioned how heavy her pack was (or when her bandaids blew away ON THE FIRST DAY) I got unreasonably aggravated. I also expected more reflections on the trail itself, the nature around her. But there wasn't a whole lot of that other than how it directly related to her physical comfort/discomfort. I went into it expecting something more along the lines of to Into The Wild, in terms of expressing reverence for nature. But, in the end, this tells a much different story so you can't really fault her for that.

I'll definitely be adding more Strayed to my TBR. Her style is refreshing and her message, from what I've read so far, is honest. I'm amazed I hadn't discovered her long before, but happy that I have. ( )
  cattylj | Feb 28, 2015 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,168,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible