Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Member:txorig
Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read, Read but unowned
Rating:*****

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    The Pacific Crest Trail by William R. Gray (jpjr)
    The Trail North: A Solo Journey On The Pacific Coast by Hawk Greenway (jpjr)
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind - and Almost Found Myself - on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (349)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (355)
3.5 stars ( )
  Pezski | Jun 8, 2017 |
The reviews did not inspire me to read this book, but after reading Cheryl Strayed's Beautiful Tiny Things I wanted to know more about the wise author behind it. Wild did not disappoint. The story of her solo hike on the Pacific Crest Trail shows us the essence of the woman. Brave, honest, vulnerable, funny, smart, earthy and intuitive. It's a remarkable tale of someone who heals her broken life by having the courage to follow her deepest instincts. ( )
  Eye_Gee | May 8, 2017 |
This book was read for my work book club- and its an excellent suggestion. Cheryl's story of walking the Pacific Crest Trail as a lone woman in the late 90's is a great story, between the people she meets (only one experience was scary), to how she healed from a poverty ridden childhood and than later the death of her mother and dissolution of her family. It makes for a story that is powerful.

A story like this can get whiny, however, Cheryl manages to write in a way where she takes responsibility but at the same time explains how she got to that point. While Ms. Strayed's home life was often poverty filled, it could have been much worst for her, but a reader gets a taste of what it means to live in poverty and what it does to a child.

I'm not a fan of preachiness - and this one hits the sweet spot of redemption vs just how hard it is to heal. I highly recommend reading this novel - it will make you think. ( )
  TheDivineOomba | May 3, 2017 |
Part memoir, part wilderness trek - definitely a frank & sometimes poignant story of Cheryl's journey after her divorce & her mother's early death. I enjoyed it, esp the descriptions of the geography & weather Cheryl encounters; her musings about life, death and her struggle to understand herself were okay-sometimes muddled. Lots of sexual content... annoyed some folks, but I thought it was part of her self-exploration and embedded in her adventures so meh it was okay. ( )
  BDartnall | Apr 25, 2017 |
This is the suspenseful story of a young woman who decides to hike the Pacific Trail alone. After the death of her mother and the loss of a marriage, she is driven to find some inner strength.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Apr 21, 2017 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,053,726 books! | Top bar: Always visible