Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Member:klockrike
Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:hiking, memoir, grieving, loss, endurance, pacific crest trail, boots, love, strength

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail (Outdoor Lives) by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (220)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (223)
I had not heard of this book until Cheryl Strayed came to my school (Pacific University) to give a talk and reading. I was impressed with the sections of her book that she read and wanted to read more about the woman who took on the PCT despite her lack of experience in backpacking.

Aside from a few literary complaints that are probably more personal preference than anything else, I highly enjoyed reading this book. I thought that how Strayed weaved in important parts of her past within the narrative of her trek across the PCT was skillful and (for the most part) rather seamless.

I believe what I admired most about his book was Strayed’s honesty, not just with her readers but with herself. Throughout the book, Strayed struggles with issues that many people to choose not address in themselves, and because of her honesty with herself through her journey on the PCT, she is able to finally start finding the person that was there along and just needed to be found.

Overall, I highly enjoyed this book. It makes for great summer reading and is a great lesson in perseverance and how sometimes, finding yourself requires a deep, critical look at your past, no matter how painful that can be.
  kell1732 | Jan 25, 2015 |
I did not like this book. I admit I found Cheryl frustrating, which doesn’t help. It is a pity, because like her, I lost a parent too, even to the same disease and just as quick, and yet could not relate at all! But beyond that, the story is full of extremes that make it unbelievable; not a good thing for a memoire. Just to name an example, her “disproportionate” self-destructive reaction to the death of her mother warranted years of therapy with a psychologists rather than the purported quick-fix during a boring and uneventful hike. And don’t even get me started with the monster backpack!

On a side note: I saw the movie -dragged myself to it :-). It tweaks the story here and there to make sense out of it. I liked it better than the book, and Reese Witherspoon does a great job! ( )
  VictoriaCaro | Jan 23, 2015 |
Despite my hatred of sleeping on the ground, I have long harboring fantasies about through-hiking some of the country's great trail systems, including the PCT. This book did nothing to dissuade me. It's a beautifully-written, resonant memoir right up until the end when it just sort of...ended. I'm a stickler for good endings, so I took one star off for that. Otherwise...great. ( )
  CherieDooryard | Jan 20, 2015 |
I read "Wild" when it first came out and loved it so much. After the movie was released, I wanted to read it again, so I got the audiobook at the library. Listening to it was just as good as reading it the first time. ( )
  BevFuller | Jan 19, 2015 |
Wow. Awesome story and very well written. ( )
  marcal | Jan 13, 2015 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,169,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible