Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Member:AngelaMBarry
Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Book Club, Second Read, 2014, 2012, Memoir, Favorites
Rating:*****

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (209)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (212)
Although I have only spent one night in the woods with a backpack, I'm oh so happy I took this hike with Cheryl Strayed. Unlike some die hard backpackers that have criticized the book for fear that more inexperienced hikers will follow in the author's blistered footsteps, I really understood this memoir and her motivations. In some ways, I've lived a parallel life to Cheryl Strayed minus the 1100-mile hike. We were born the same year and we lost a parent the same year. The author lost her mother to lung cancer when her mother was 45; I lost my father to lung cancer when my father was 47. What followed those deaths for both of us was a pattern of self-destructive behavior that would last for several years. One morning at about the halfway point of listening to the audiobook and walking my dog at 5 a.m., I burst into tears and realized that I was reading one of the best books of 2012. ( )
  kellifrobinson | Nov 25, 2014 |
This memoir is an entertaining, and at times, heartwarming, romp through the author's grief, how she deals with loss and her adventure as a solo woman without any real prior hiking experience hiking the Pacific Crest Trail. What I found most amazing about the book was that the author had the guts and courage to take the risks she took in this adventure; there were times when I was very concerned for her safety, even though I knew (since she'd written the book) that she'd survived. However, the author also offers some very deep insights into her behavior and her own growth, insights that are relatable to anyone who has lost someone (or something) dear to them to the finality of death or destruction. She weaves sadness and grief with beauty and growth and the ultimate result is a good read with some great insights. Her voice is real, unabashedly honest and easily relatable in its exploration of the broken places we develop and the lengths we go to to fix them. ( )
  chicbanjo | Nov 7, 2014 |
3 1/2 stars ( )
  mara.murdoch | Nov 4, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book a great deal after I got through the first two very depressing chapters. I understand that Cheryl's depression and the death of her mother where the primary catalyst for her adventure, and are therefore necessary to the memoir, but I found myself being drug down into her despair. I found my heart breaking for her and it was only by sticking with the story that my spirits lifted as she conquered the PCT, one grueling step at a time. An excellent story about a tough young woman who beat the odds, not only on the trail, but in life. ( )
  cabracrazy18 | Nov 1, 2014 |
Interesting story of Strayed's hike along the Pacific Crest Trail in 1995. Following her mother's death, Strayed was spiraling down, having affairs, getting divorced, and using heroin. Surprisingly, she was able to stop using and decided to truly challenge herself by backpacking over a thousand miles through desert and snow.

Interesting read, as backpacking and camping out has NEVER been a thing I wanted to do and I was able to experience it, blackened toenails and all, along with Strayed. Makes me wonder what kind of feat-of-strength/endurance I might be capable of....

Recommended. ( )
  kayceel | Oct 14, 2014 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,990,131 books! | Top bar: Always visible