Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Member:jillcw
Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail (Outdoor Lives) by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (248)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All languages (252)
An inspiring read about Cheryl Strayed's hike of the Pacific Crest Trail, including her many adventures on -- and near -- the PCT. A heartbreaking story of loss, then being lost, then finding something while hiking alone. Didn't realize until I read the book that she hiked the PCT in 1995 -- and just recently was able to write the story of it. I liked much of her storytelling and her adventures, and my heart broke several times as she recounts her mother (perhaps I was thinking of my mother too), but I guess I was looking for something more that I did not find in her telling. Great read for outdoor activists, as well as those who have suffered an early death of a family member. ( )
  Randall.Hansen | May 6, 2015 |
I would give this 10 stars. Every woman should read this book even if you never considered hiking. The younger you are the better, however, because of the amazing message in this story of how to address issues that come up in life. There are always solutions if you look at the bigger picture rather than the singular problem or dilemma. The unabridged audio version is wonderful, 11 CDs but well worth the time. ( )
  Donura1 | May 5, 2015 |
I enjoyed the narrative of her time on the Pacific Coast Trail, much like an friend telling for of a great trip she had experienced. However, I never felt there was a compelling story, and in the end asked, 'so what?' ( )
  hifiny | May 5, 2015 |
Enjoyed the book immensely. Cheryl Strayed may not have been the worst-prepared hiker to hit the Pacific Crest Trail, but she was awfully darn close. She was an emotional wreck, and had no experience in long-trail backpacking. She straightens out both along the way, and certainly earned my admiration for her determination. From my own early days backpacking I enjoyed some self-knowing chuckles at some of Cheryl's predicaments, but she stuck with it (I don't think I would have), and also dealt with some very serious stuff along the way. ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
Cheryl Strayed finds herself at the end of her rope at the beginning of the book. She gives a heartbreaking account of her mother's sudden death from cancer, her failed marriage, and the gradual unweaving of her family as they all move on in separate directions. She is clearly lost at the beginning, reeling from the events, when she decides nearly on a whim to hike the Pacific Crest Trail, a physically demanding trail that extends from the border of Mexico to Canada.

The book hits its stride when describing her hikes and the often painful lessons she learns about backpacking (buying too small boots and initially beginning with a pack that weighs more than half of what she does). Sometimes funny, sometimes poignant, she hits her stride when describing the stark beauty of the Mojave Desert or the closed woods of Oregon. The people she meets are painted with affection, and often a tinge of sadness.

I would have rated it five stars if it had been just that - however, I found it rather hard to connect to the author. She describes the events that led to her failed marriage, a bevy of infidelities that she finally confesses to her husband. While I can appreciate the fact that other people have committed adultery, and her mother's death led her to extreme modes of behavior, the way she describes these affairs seem to be not proud, but not really remorseful either. She seems fatalistic in their accounts, which given the fact that this book was written long after her actual hike, makes sense, but often left a bad taste in my mouth. She also discusses a dalliance with heroin and never seemed to properly address the fact that this was a problem. She describes meeting a group of people along her hike at one point, and one offers her a joint. She smokes it and describes an almost spiritual experience, then later talks about how she disapproved of her mother smoking marijuana. Again, this is tempered by the fact she is dealing with the irrational anger that a loved one dying so often stokes, but it felt hypocritical. She even describes a fling with a man she meets at one of her rest stops, and casually says that after a night with him, she was growing bored with him. There's an air of self-absorption whenever she's with other people that was, quite frankly, distasteful.

That said, her attention to the hike itself is beautiful, funny, and inspiring. She clearly reveres her surroundings while at the same time being imminently practical in how hiking twenty-one miles a day can lead any nature-lover to become focused on the monotony. She talks about being discouraged, wanting to quit, about the dangers she encounters, and still shows a fierce love for the trail that led to her finding peace.

It may not have been quite the transformative experience I was expecting when I picked it up - I had the feeling that it often skimmed the surface when it should have plunged deep - but it was still a highly enjoyable book. ( )
  kittyjay | Apr 23, 2015 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,146,758 books! | Top bar: Always visible