Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Member:jillcw
Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    The Pacific Crest Trail by William R. Gray (jpjr)
    The Trail North: A Solo Journey On The Pacific Coast by Hawk Greenway (jpjr)
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind - and Almost Found Myself - on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (344)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All (350)
The story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again. ( )
  jrthebutler | Mar 7, 2017 |
It's probably not fair that I'm not a huge non-fiction reader... but it was really hard for me to get through. Some parts were really good, others not. ( )
  Maggie.Chavarria | Mar 6, 2017 |
Beautifully written and very thought provoking. Having lost a mother who was too young, I could relate to the struggles of the writer to reconcile her life against that. Other aspects were less relative to me, but overall I loved the book and could see myself re-reading it. ( )
  BooksForYears | Mar 6, 2017 |
I got an advanced readers copy of this book from the publisher:) I was so excited to get to read something that is not even out yet that I dove right in. And I can't put it down. I love it! It is a memoir told in the same style as The Glass Castle (one of my favorites). But, the strangest thing about this book is I still want to read it even though I really do not like this woman who is telling this story. I usually have to at least like the characters in the books I read. If I don't I usually can't get through them and give up. But, this one is different. On the surface I have nothing in common with this woman and at a deeper level can't fathom some of the decisions she has made. But at the heart of it, I can relate. And I think this is what keeps me reading. Even though she has made decisions I never would have made, and done things I never would have done, I recognize the place in which these decisions and actions came from. That raw and festering place in our heart and soul that make us who we are. My hope is that by the end of the book that I will actually like this woman and that her battle to heal and mend was not only well fought for her, but won as well. Good luck Cheryl. ( )
  annabw | Feb 21, 2017 |
Sometimes Oprah books are the kiss of death for me, but not this time. I read it on the recommendation of a friend and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is not just a "hiking the PCT adventure story" (although there is that) but its also a "healing & finding yourself story". But not in an Eat, Pray, Love way (a book I didn't care for). It's extremely well-written with passages I wanted to write down and savor. Even though we would not have been friends if we'd met back then and I can't relate to some of her choices, my heart ached for her lost soul and broken family. I have a soft spot in my heart for children who have endured what she did. I can't fully verbalize why this book struck such a chord in me but I simply couldn't put it down. I do wish the book hadn't ended so abruptly. I wanted to know more about her life post-hike.

One complaint: I wish I had not read the pages about Lady, the horse. I was in public reading it on the beach and it literally left me a sobbing mess. It took quite a while before I recovered and could go on reading. My husband kept asking me what was wrong and I couldn't pull myself together to tell him. Ugh. Even now I can barely stand to think of it without a lump in my throat. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,264,941 books! | Top bar: Always visible