Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Member:asawyer
Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:personal

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

Recently added bychimocho, Jmbusa, turtlesleap, Mintsumie, private library, srx, fgressette, lunasilentio, weeta
    A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail (Outdoor Lives) by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (252)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All languages (256)
Since I can't do half stars, I'm rounding up. I dunno. ( )
  lorienanderson | Jun 19, 2015 |
I loved it.

This was one of those books that I wasn't sure if I should just go ahead and buy it, or simply check it out from the library. I love to buy books and leave them on my giant to-read pile at home, hoping to get through my current read in order to move on to the next book in my pile. I ended up checking it out, but finished it wishing I had bought it to keep…but then if I had bought it, I don't think I would have read it as soon as I actually did. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that this book really got to me on a level that not very many books, or memoirs, can do.

I love to travel, and I like going on day hikes, but I never once thought about doing something as amazing as what Cheryl Strayed, or any other thru hiker, did. Hiking for months, being careful about what you eat and drink, how much you eat and drink, watching your toenails come off as they blacken and eventually peel off. This was not something I thought I would be made of. But now that I've lived this hike vicariously through Cheryl, I feel that it's certainly a possibility for myself in the future. It's inspired me to at least let the idea of a tremendous trip like this percolate in my mind.

After I finished this book, I realized that I didn't want it to end. I felt like I'd been through each of these ordeals myself. I've laughed at certain points. I've felt fear at certain points. I've felt objectified. And I've felt a momentous joy coursing through me. And she was there each of the way to share that experience with me. It was private, yet public, spiritual journey that, honestly, I'll remember for the rest of my life (along with a number of other really great books that I've read!).

I'd highly recommend this book for anyone who loves a good hike, a good road trip, or a good spiritual journey. Wonderful read. ( )
  jms001 | Jun 14, 2015 |
Cheryl Strayed tells of her time of hiking the Pacific Crest Trail solo. I enjoyed the story. I liked her inner strength that kept her going when others turned back. She grew up a lot on the trail and learned she had the strength to go on even when she did not have the skills. She learned what she needed when she needed it. Her teachers showed when she needed them. I liked the stories from her past. She was not always honorable but the PCT hike taught her and she looked honestly at herself and her past. Someone in my book club said she was punishing herself by hiking the PCT. After finishing it I could see the statements Ms. Strayed made in the book that states that. I think the hike and book brought her peace. It reminded me of Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods only not as humorous. Good reading! ( )
  Sheila1957 | May 31, 2015 |
If Cheryl Strayed is being candid in this book, then it's one of the more honest I've read. Newly divorced, acutely mourning the death of her mother from four years earlier, and fresh from a heroin episode with a druggie buddy, she set out on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) alone and unprepared, and with her only companion, an over-stuffed and back-breakingly heavy backpack she names Monster. Cheryl and Monster trek across hundreds of miles together, encountering wild animals, mostly friendly and supportive hikers and stopover staff, and inclement weather, tough terrain, complete isolation, and incredible beauty from a 2-foot wide trail winding through two of the U.S.'s most rugged mountain ranges. She hikes for months, and at the end of her journey, she has renewed her most difficult relationship: the one with herself.

Cheryl ruthlessly shares her downfalls and struggles, and takes responsibility for hurting loved ones and destroying her life. She does not make excuses or justify her actions, but as time marches foward, she becomes kinder and more understanding about why she made the life choices she did. She forgives herself, which allows for forgiveness of others.

As the book progresses, I became increasingly more uncomfortable as I was making many connections with my own life; the empathy I felt for her grief, fear, inappropriate behavior, and healing was also for my own. For several days, I soul-searched to resolve issues the work raised for me. Its cathartic influence allowed me to step forward through some of my own history toward new adventures in my life. I agree with a previous reviewer that every woman should read this book, along with Women Who Run with the Wolves, Gift from the Sea, Blue Horses Rush In, West with the Night, and a number of other works that show women as solo creators of their own lives. ( )
  brickhorse | May 20, 2015 |
I may have made a mistake by seeing the movie first, but after I did, I knew I had to read the book too. Both the movie AND the book are amazing. After her mother died, Cheryl Strayed dealt with her grief in a myriad of unhealthy ways, before deciding to hike the Pacific Crest Trail. Every day (sometimes every minute!) she wanted to quit--but she didn't. I can't imagine doing what she did, anymore than I can imagine losing my mother to cancer at a young age. I remember thinking, this is a crazy way to deal with grief--it isn't going to help. But who is to say how anyone should grieve? And it seems like this journey did help Cheryl come to terms with her life, and to start a new one, at the end of her trip. Well written; I could not put it down. ( )
  cherybear | May 20, 2015 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,930,709 books! | Top bar: Always visible