Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Member:MAKBerlin
Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***
Tags:biography

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (264)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All languages (268)
It seems silly to say that I found this book at exactly the right time I needed to, but that's how it feels.
Reading about Cheryl's journey, that essentially was about finding herself, rang so true and honest to me, in a time when I was looking for myself as well.
This tale is beautifully written, shifting eloquently through tales of her hike and tales from her life. All the while sucking us in and allowing us to see, and feel everything she is seeing and feeling!
So beautiful, and so open! She held nothing back, and truly opened her heart to anyone reading this. That's a rare thing to do I find!
Simply put, I loved this memoir! ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Aug 29, 2015 |
Favorite quote: "There's no way to know what makes one thing happen and not another. What leads to what. What destroys what." ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
Cheryl Strayed is a 22 year old woman who has gone through a lot of things in her life that most 22 years olds do not. It has left her searching to fill that hole in her middle. She sets off alone to hike the Pacific Crest Trail. She is inexperienced in hiking, but has more grit and determination than most people male or female. I read this book for a book club, but it had my attention right from the start and I could not wait to see what would happen next. A great book to read to see how grit, determination, strength and maybe a little naivety push her to complete this feat. Anyone can do anything they are determined to do according to Cheryl. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Aug 18, 2015 |
She finished the trail. I finished the book. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
Eh. It wasn't horrible. it was more interesting than I thought a book about a long walk would be. If it wasn't a book club selection, I wouldn't have read it. ( )
  PiperUp | Aug 14, 2015 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,155,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible