Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club… (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Member:deniseydowling
Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 336 pages

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail (Outdoor Lives) by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (228)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  All languages (231)
Strayed's essay "Heroin/e" had me crying like a baby, and the opening chapters to Wild, which rework that essay in many ways, had the same impact. It's probably not surprising then that the most interesting parts of this book, in my opinion, were the sections where she ruminated on her grief, her loss, her mistakes. Not in an apologetic way, but honestly. Grief is ugly and she didn't attempt to beautify it in anyway.

The actually hiking, however, was not as interesting to me. And that's not because I'm disinterested in it or the PCT as topic. It's primarily because, as she says throughout, she had no idea what she was doing. Every time she mentioned how heavy her pack was (or when her bandaids blew away ON THE FIRST DAY) I got unreasonably aggravated. I also expected more reflections on the trail itself, the nature around her. But there wasn't a whole lot of that other than how it directly related to her physical comfort/discomfort. I went into it expecting something more along the lines of to Into The Wild, in terms of expressing reverence for nature. But, in the end, this tells a much different story so you can't really fault her for that.

I'll definitely be adding more Strayed to my TBR. Her style is refreshing and her message, from what I've read so far, is honest. I'm amazed I hadn't discovered her long before, but happy that I have. ( )
  cattylj | Feb 28, 2015 |
Captivating.
It is about finding yourself, when you have lost so much. Strayed definitely let go, and went head on with nature. I found myself pushing for her to continue on, even through blisters, and missing toenails. I have loved every moment in this book, even with all the people she met along the way. I really enjoyed the back story as to her life before the trail, it painted a picture of why she decided to get real with herself.
One moment of the book that I loved was the horse named Lady. You grieved with her, but you continued to read through her words of everything she had to overcome.
Another part, closer to the beginning were she was screaming Moose! rofl! Oh, I giggled. Strayed has a way with words, and I enjoyed the humor here in there throughout the story.
I personally don’t know if I would ever be able to do such a journey but boy does this book give you hope.
Thank you for sharing your story, and I will definitely have to find the movie! ( )
  wjbooks | Feb 26, 2015 |
Lots of hoopla about this book (and movie). Cheryl Strayed (her new last name that she gave herself), attempts to "find herself" after the death of her beloved mother and a divorce by hiking the Pacific Crest Trail alone and inexperienced. Although the book is definitely well written, the subject of "oh, poor, lost me" is not one of my favorites. The book documents Cheryl's 200+ day hike in detail: the people she meets, the hardships she endures, the mistakes she makes, and the emotions she experiences.

I'm too much of a pragmatist to fully appreciate the bravery it did take to start on such a hike as totally unprepared and inexperienced as she was. She has a "monster" backpack and hiking boots that are too tight. She takes a number of books which she burns after reading to lighten her load. Her experiences are interesting and sometimes scary (she does a beautiful job of relating some of those events such as her encounter with the sandy-haired man).

This rather reminded me of "Eat, Pray, Love" and "Tracks" the story of an Australian woman crossing the outback with her camels. In short, well-written, but not just by cup of tea. ( )
  maryreinert | Feb 22, 2015 |
If you liked Eat, Pray, Love you will like this book. I didn't so I didn't like this one. Why does every whinny, spoiled, sex obsessed, twenty-something think it is their God given right to write a memoir about how they discovered the meaning of life through some kind of travel quest?

There is so much I would like to say about this ill prepared, incredibly lucky, woman who is obsessed with her own good looks, and uses this asset with abandon and then turns around and complains about it. However, I think anybody reading this will get my drift.

If you want a hiking book read Bill Byrson's "A Walk in the Woods" or a real hiking/travel book like "Walking Down the Wild." If you want to read about a spoiled, sex- obsessed twenty-something, who didn't have the sense to purchase the right equipment, let alone the right size of hiking boots, read this one. Or better yet - skip the book and go see the movie and give your money to a big assed corporation for producing more schlock. ( )
  benitastrnad | Feb 18, 2015 |
I really liked this book, its really inspirational and a great story of a woman's self-discovery.

I wouldn't say its necessarily a page turner, but it really is interesting and the description of the authors past memories were really vivid and really brought the story to life.

I think it was such a brave and big decision, for somebody whose life seemed to be falling apart. When Strayed was telling her story, I was guilty of thinking no! why did she do that for! Paul was so perfect for her... but just goes to show that she did what was best for her, and it all worked out okay!

I thought she was really brave, strong and determined. Its just a good book, and a good account of one person's experience of hiking the PCT. ( )
  KittyBimble | Feb 12, 2015 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,697,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible