Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, E-books
Tags:TBR, nonfiction, memoir, iBooks

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (274)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All languages (278)
I really liked this book, its really inspirational and a great story of a woman's self-discovery.

I wouldn't say its necessarily a page turner, but it really is interesting and the description of the authors past memories were really vivid and really brought the story to life.

I think it was such a brave and big decision, for somebody whose life seemed to be falling apart. When Strayed was telling her story, I was guilty of thinking no! why did she do that for! Paul was so perfect for her... but just goes to show that she did what was best for her, and it all worked out okay!

I thought she was really brave, strong and determined. Its just a good book, and a good account of one person's experience of hiking the PCT. ( )
  4everfanatical | Nov 26, 2015 |
"My solo three month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings."

I got this book as a Christmas present from my step-sister and her husband. I had heard that Wild was turning into a movie, but did not really have anymore information about this true story.

Cheryl Strayed thought that she lost everything, including her mother and her husband. She feels as though she has nothing else to lose. She decides to do something crazy, so with no training she hikes more than a thousand miles on the Pacific Crest Trail - alone.

Strayed goes through her journey meeting comical co-hikers, and some interesting pleasures and terrors. She is a very interesting character. Then again one would be if grown up by a hippy mother. Makes one think if her careless behavior is also the reason why she is so trusting with these that cross her path, or why she seems so approachable.

Wild is a different type of book than I'm used to. I felt as though her descriptions of her traipsing around the trail a bit boring, but the descriptions of her inner thoughts and feelings were awesome.

I would recommend this to anyone that likes to hike or read about spiritual awakenings. ( )
  LacyLK | Nov 21, 2015 |
DNF ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |
A true emotional roller-coaster, Strayed triumphantly displays her conquering of the 1,100 mile Pacific Crest Trail. She overcame countless physical and emotional hurdles along the way, keeping the reader virtually right along-side for the trek. By the end of the hike, I had felt like I had conquered all 1,100 miles alone, like she had, but I sadly realized that it was Strayed's captivating storyline and euphoric language which imparted a lasting effect on me. ( )
  Justantolin | Nov 4, 2015 |
As much as I love to dream that I could hike the Appalachian Trail, I think I'll have to settle for reading about such adventures. Cheryl Strayed hiked the AT's cousin, the mountainous Pacific Crest Trail that stretches from the California/Mexico border to the Washington/Canada border. Strayed grew up in a home without electricity or indoor plumbing and camped often, but hiking over 1,100 miles was still something she wasn't physically prepared for. She wasn't emotionally prepared, either, still grieving over her mother's death, as well as her recent divorce. She takes to the trail as a type of therapy, and by the end of the book, I felt like I had trekked along with her, learning lessons and experiencing life as one does alone in nature. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.
A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)
Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,949,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible