Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific…

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Cheryl Strayed

Member:Florinda
Title:Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail
Authors:Cheryl Strayed
Info:Knopf (2012), Edition: First Edition first Printing, Hardcover, 336 pages
Collections:Your library, To read, E-books
Tags:TBR, nonfiction, memoir, iBooks

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed (2012)

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson (ominogue)
    Almost Somewhere: Twenty-Eight Days on the John Muir Trail by Suzanne Roberts (Alphawoman)
    Becoming Odyssa: Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis (booklove2)
    booklove2: A very memorable account of a young woman hiking the Appalachian Trail by herself! Inspiring!
    Eat, Sleep, Ride: How I Braved Bears, Badlands, and Big Breakfasts in My Quest to Cycle the Tour Divide by Paul Howard (sboyte)
    sboyte: Human-powered journeys through the mountains of North America.
    The Cactus Eaters: How I Lost My Mind-and Almost Found Myself-on the Pacific Crest Trail (P.S.) by Dan White (clif_hiker)
    Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (Darcie2013)
    Darcie2013: Like Eat, Pray, Love, Wild is about a woman who has gone through life-changing events and has realized she no longer knows who she is. In both books, the author decides that through travel she may find herself.

English (296)  Dutch (2)  German (2)  All languages (300)
I loved this book! Cheryl Strayed manages to take you with her on both her journeys, physical and emotional. She relays her struggles with grief and on the trail without self pity. An inspiring read. ( )
  Laurochka | Feb 6, 2016 |
I really liked this book, its really inspirational and a great story of a woman's self-discovery.

I wouldn't say its necessarily a page turner, but it really is interesting and the description of the authors past memories were really vivid and really brought the story to life.

I think it was such a brave and big decision, for somebody whose life seemed to be falling apart. When Strayed was telling her story, I was guilty of thinking no! why did she do that for! Paul was so perfect for her... but just goes to show that she did what was best for her, and it all worked out okay!

I thought she was really brave, strong and determined. Its just a good book, and a good account of one person's experience of hiking the PCT. ( )
  4everfanatical | Feb 5, 2016 |
It made me want to hike the PCT. ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
I was interested in the parts about the trail. I did not find the author to be likeable in the least. I shared some of my thoughts more specifically in my updates, I won't bother to repeat myself. After being on the upside of memoirs, I am back on the down side again. Big waste of my time. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Excellent 1st person story. Rediscovering life in nature with miles and miles on the trail. Ready for my hiking boots! ( )
  deldevries | Jan 31, 2016 |
It’s not very manly, the topic of weeping while reading. Yet for a book critic tears are an occupational hazard. Luckily, perhaps, books don’t make me cry very often — I’m a thrice-a-year man, at best. Turning pages, I’m practically Steve McQueen.

Cheryl Strayed’s new memoir, “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail,” however, pretty much obliterated me. I was reduced, during her book’s final third, to puddle-eyed cretinism. I like to read in coffee shops, and I began to receive concerned glances from matronly women, the kind of looks that said, “Oh, honey.” It was a humiliation.

To mention all this does Ms. Strayed a bit of a disservice, because there’s nothing cloying about “Wild.” It’s uplifting, but not in the way of many memoirs, where the uplift makes you feel that you’re committing mental suicide. This book is as loose and sexy and dark as an early Lucinda Williams song. It’s got a punk spirit and makes an earthy and American sound.

A candid, inspiring narrative of the author’s brutal physical and psychological journey through a wilderness of despair to a renewed sense of self.
added by sturlington | editKirkus Reviews (Dec 19, 2011)

Wild (2014IMDb)
For Brian Lindstrom

And for our children, Carver and Bobbi
(Prologue) The trees were tall, but I was taller, standing above them on a steep mountain slope in northern California.
My solo three-month hike on the Pacific Crest Trail had many beginnings.
The universe, I'd learned, was never, ever kidding. It would take whatever it wanted and it would never give it back.

A powerful, blazingly honest, inspiring memoir: the story of a 1,100 mile solo hike that broke down a young woman reeling from catastrophe--and built her back up again.

Cheryl Strayed is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,083,023 books! | Top bar: Always visible