Do What You Are by Paul D Tieger

Do What You Are (1992)

by Paul D Tieger

Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type by Isabel Briggs Myers (Anonymous user)
    Anonymous user: Gifts Differing explains Myers-Briggs typology in a clear, accessible way, while Do What You Are shows an interesting application of that theory to career choice.

I mainly used this book as a reference. It just told me or I guess reinforced what I already knew in my about my life. I am in my mid twenties and I am in a job that I like but I dream for more.

Do What You Are helps you identify your personality type then shows a few more exercises to make sure you got it correct and then tells you what your ideal career choices would be. It then helps you to make a practical approach to the career of your choice.

Honestly, it's nice to have as an library book but I am so glad I didn't buy it. If you are aimless, this book will be perfect for you. However, if you know or have a clear picture of what you want to do then Do What You Are is nothing but a mirror. I have plenty of mirrors. ( )

Lynn Reed
  baranovv | Nov 17, 2010 |
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Choosing a career based on personality type is not a new concept; in fact, the first edition of DO WHAT YOU ARE was released in 1992 (and I can actually remember reading it when I was a junior in high school). In this, the fourth edition, hopefully even more teens will be exposed to this great resource.

The authors, both experts in personality type and career development, put forth the idea that choosing a career path based on your individual personality will be beneficial to your success. For those worried that discovering your personality type is a difficult process, don't despair, because the authors make it quite easy.

There are four dimensions to personality type:

Whether you are extroverted or introverted.
Whether you notice things by sensing or intuition.
Whether you make decisions by thinking or feeling.
Whether you prefer to live by judging or perceiving.

Once you've discovered the answer to each of these four questions, you'll be able to discover which of the sixteen possible personality types you fall into. Once you do, you can quickly skip to the relevant section in the book.

In my case, my personality is ESTJ - or extroverted, sensing, thinking, judging. According to the authors of DO WHAT YOU ARE, my strengths lie in organization, being objective, working alone, and being a good decision maker. My weaknesses are also outlined, and include impatience with those who don't follow procedures, a tendency to overrun people, and difficulty listening to opposing viewpoints. Some suggestions for careers, based on my personality type, are as a teacher, government employee, sales, supervisor, or a manager.

Of course the above is not a full list of the strengths, weaknesses, or recommended career choices for those whose personality type is ESTJ - the above is merely a sampling. But I can say with truth that DO WHAT YOU ARE can be a great resource for those beginning their search for a career choice. I can agree that ESTJ is definitely my personality type (faults and all!) and have no doubt that this book has the power to help everyone looking to correctly match their strengths to the perfect career. ( )
  GeniusJen | Oct 10, 2009 |

This guide analyzes personality type by looking at how an individual processes information, makes decisions and interacts with the world around them, and shows which of the 16 "types" describes that person best. It then lists dozens of occupations that are popular with people of each type and, using workbook exercises and real-life examples to highlight the strengths and pitfalls of each personality type, gives step-by-step instructions on how to use your unique strengths to customize your job search, ensuring the best results in the shortest period of time. If you plan to stay in your job, "Do What You Are" provides savvy advice for getting the most out of your current career. Rather than offering generic, one-size-fits-all advice, this book aims to help you determine what you need to be more successful and satisfied.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:22 -0400)

This book analyses personality type then lists dozens of occupations that are popular with people of each type. It then gives step-by-step instructions on how to use your unique strengths to customise your job search.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,293,596 books! | Top bar: Always visible