Lunatics by Dave Barry

Authors:Dave Barry
Info:Putnam Adult (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Jan. 2012 Additions

Lunatics by Dave Barry

I borrowed this audio book from the library for something to listen to during a long car trip with my husband. While I've always enjoyed Dave Barry's nonfiction, this novel is so far over the top and unbelievable, I just couldn't get into it. It did have some laughs, but I could've done without the toilet humor. 2.5 stars (2 from me, 3 from my husband, so I split the difference) ( )
  Gingermama | Aug 16, 2016 |
laugh-out-loud funny! Hi-jinks & shenanigans, be sure to pay attention to the name on the chapter to keep the intertwining story line straight. Highly recommend ( )
  petrichor8 | Jun 6, 2016 |
Early on in the book I was offended by the profanity and racism of one of the characters. Then I began to muse that this is the kind of story line that a couple of very very high guys might come up with. Then I stopped thinking and more or less enjoyed the rest of the ride. Nice break from more serious topics I read for my book club. ( )
  MaureenCean | Feb 2, 2016 |
Is this book's intent to be funny, absolutely. Was it funny to me, No.

I think if I was a 50 year old man/woman I would find this funny, but as I'm a 20 something I just didn't find this book laugh-out-loud funny. It was too forced and outrageous and not targeted at my age range. I lived, learned, and moved on to another book. ( )
  clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |
Is this book's intent to be funny, absolutely. Was it funny to me, No.

clockwork_serenity | Jan 23, 2016 |

Dave Barryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zweibel, Alanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
We dedicate this book to our wives,
Michelle and Robin,
who, if we had discussed the idea with them ahead of time, would definitely have discouraged us.
Before we explain how it all happened, we'd like to take this opportunity, from the get-go, to apologize.

What do you mean, "we"?

One of them is a bestselling Pulitzer Prize-winning humorist. The other is a winner of the Thurber Prize for American Humor. Together, they form the League of Comic Justice, battling evildoers in the name of . . . Okay, we made that line up. What they do form is a writing team of pure comic genius, and they will have you laughing like idiots.

Philip Horkman is a happy man-the owner of a pet store called The Wine Shop, and on Sundays a referee for kids' soccer.

Jeffrey Peckerman is the sole sane person in a world filled with goddamned jerks and morons, and he's having a really bad day.

The two of them are about to collide in a swiftly escalating series of events that will send them running for their lives, pursued by the police, soldiers, terrorists, subversives, bears, and a man dressed as Chuck E. Cheese.

Where that all takes them you can't begin to guess, but the literary journey there is a masterpiece of inspiration and mayhem.

But what else would you expect from the League of Comic Justice?

An uproarious tale told in alternating voices follows the stories of a pet shop owner and a curmudgeon who find themselves on the run from police, terrorists, and a pizza chain mascot.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lunatics by Dave Barry was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,218,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible