Lunatics by Dave Barry

Authors:Dave Barry
Info:Putnam Adult (2012), Hardcover, 320 pages
Collections:Jan. 2012 Additions

Lunatics by Dave Barry

This book comes with an advisory: "Dave Barry and Alan Zweibel have both written books for children. This is definitely not one of them." It's not, but I love that such a nonsensical book was written for adults. The whole plot line is just silly - everything happens by chance, is misinterpreted, and then leads to something else crazy happening. It's delightful. I laughed out loud at least once a chapter, and most chapters were just a couple of pages. If you want to read something fun that will make you think a little and laugh a lot, this is your book. And the laughs aren't limited to the text itself: a blurb on the back reads "Reading Alan Zweibel makes me laugh out loud. And yet it is not a particularly funny name." - Eric Idle; and the page that dedicates the book to the authors' wives, "who, if we had discussed the idea with them ahead of time, would definitely have discouraged us." ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
It was a terrible book. Rude jokes. Annoying characters. I felt like I was reading the script of an Adam Sandler movie.
  kelly.falk | Oct 4, 2014 |
Lunatics is a book for those who like ridiculous humor and just want a good laugh. There is nothing deep or earth shattering here. Just pure page turning escapism. A good break from serious literature. ( )
  nivramkoorb | Sep 12, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an ARC of this free from LTER.

I like Dave Barry's writing. I do. I enjoy the over-the-top zany tone of this book. But there was less to it than there should have been. I don't know what it was missing for me, but it was something key.

The main problem I had was that it was really predictable. By page 30 I had started calling each shot and by the middle I was thinking, "I'm sure I've seen this movie before." There just wasn't enough new there for me. Can't put my finger on why I feel there was no "there" there, but this book was a disappointment. ( )
  reconditereader | Feb 18, 2014 |
A farcical comedy of errors finds our two "heros" alternately a putz and an asshole traveling around the world. They hate each other but through the bizarre actions and incidents they bring hope to the world. Overall, I enjoyed it, but for a short book, I got tired of it after awhile. ( )
  hoosgracie | Feb 22, 2013 |

Dave Barryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zweibel, Alanmain authorall editionsconfirmed
We dedicate this book to our wives,
Michelle and Robin,
Before we explain how it all happened, we'd like to take this opportunity, from the get-go, to apologize.

What do you mean, "we"?

One of them is a bestselling Pulitzer Prize-winning humorist. The other is a winner of the Thurber Prize for American Humor. Together, they form the League of Comic Justice, battling evildoers in the name of . . . Okay, we made that line up. What they do form is a writing team of pure comic genius, and they will have you laughing like idiots.

Philip Horkman is a happy man-the owner of a pet store called The Wine Shop, and on Sundays a referee for kids' soccer.

Jeffrey Peckerman is the sole sane person in a world filled with goddamned jerks and morons, and he's having a really bad day.

The two of them are about to collide in a swiftly escalating series of events that will send them running for their lives, pursued by the police, soldiers, terrorists, subversives, bears, and a man dressed as Chuck E. Cheese.

Where that all takes them you can't begin to guess, but the literary journey there is a masterpiece of inspiration and mayhem.

But what else would you expect from the League of Comic Justice?

An uproarious tale told in alternating voices follows the stories of a pet shop owner and a curmudgeon who find themselves on the run from police, terrorists, and a pizza chain mascot.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Lunatics by Dave Barry was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,848,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible