Murder is Easy by Agatha Christie

Murder is Easy (1939)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Superintendent Battle (4)

English (31)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Danish (1)  Italian (1)  Dutch (1)  All (37)
Chatter, chatter, chatter, chatter & supposition... lots & lots of supposition....

Boooooooooooooooooooooooring!

A former British police office just back from Africa is on a train when an old woman sits across from him and proceeds to tell him about a series of murders in the small village where she lives...... She also tells him that she has just warned the local doctor that he could be next, and she knows this by the look in the murderer's eyes.

He dismisses the old woman's story as fancy.

Unbeknownst to him, on her way to Scotland Yard she is run down by a car....... What sets him off on his investigation is the notice that the Doctor has died.....

From the point where he arrives in the village the story just falls short..... I didn't care about the characters, I didn't like them, they had no redeeming qualities......

As for this being a Superintendent Battle mystery, he doesn't come into the story until the very end and really has not active part in it at all! ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 8, 2017 |
This was a bit of a disappointment coming from Dame Agatha. The man character, retired policeman Luke Fitzwilliam, is returning from a longterm posting in Singapore when he meets an elderly woman on the train who tells him she is traveling to London to report a series of murders occurring in her village. She feels she must report to Scotland Yard as she is the only person who suspects a series of deaths is actually a series of murders. However, Luke learns that shortly after they parted at the train in London, the old woman was run down by a hit and run driver. His curiosity is aroused and he ends up in the village, unofficially investigating the mysterious deaths. I felt it was pretty easy to figure out who the murderer was by halfway through the book and the characters seemed flat, not intriguing. I love Christie, but I can't recommend this very strongly. It's not bad, but it's not Christie at her best. ( )
  kaitanya64 | Jan 3, 2017 |
Author: Agatha Christie   Rating: 2.5 Stars of 5   Synopsis:   A little old lady runs across a retired policeman and tells him of her suspicions of mass murder in her little village. After she dies, the policeman visits the village to find out if the "little old lady from Pasadena" was a nutter or onto something truly horrible.     My Thoughts:   I enjoy Christie's standalone novels much more than her series based around a main character. Part of that is because each book is just as shallow and light as the previous and the continuation of a character with no growth irritates me. Whereas standalones aren't expected to be filled with character development and life growth.   This was a typical mystery, but unfortunately, Christie felt the need for the main character to go over every possibility of who and how. I think I skipped almost 10 pages when he started going over that info in his mind.   About 3/4's of the way through I realized who the killer was, because everyone else was too obvious or not obvious enough. So I got to watch the MC flail around.   There's a little bit of romance involved, but it felt formulaic at best.   Overall, not bad, but mediocre at best.       Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.com " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Luke, the young policeman who stars in this story, isn’t a particularly strong character, but he’s quite likeable. That's just as well, because this is rather a dark story; some of the characters are decidedly creepy.

I was a little surprised that there was quite a significant romantic thread, unusual in Christie’s novels; some of the relevant conversation was perhaps a bit cringeworthy, but then dialogue wasn’t one of the author’s strong points.

What Agatha Christie lacked in characterisation she more than made up for in her plotting. I was pretty sure from early in the book that I had guessed the criminal; and it turned out that I was wrong. Clues and red herrings were laid with care, and worked exactly as, I'm sure, the author intended.

Definitely recommended if you like mid-20th century light crime fiction. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Feb 4, 2016 |
I love her style, she is just classic. This about a young cop who chats with a lady spinster on the train which leads him to several murders in a small town. Again,not who you would think!! ( )
  JoBDo | Jan 2, 2016 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ahmavaara, EeroTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goplen, ÅdneTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Soncelli, GiovannaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Rosalind and Susan the first two critics of this book
England!
aka Easy to kill

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312979827, Mass Market Paperback)

It was just Luke Fitzwilliam's luck to be stuck next to a dotty old woman like Miss Fullerton on the London-bound train--although he found himself quite entertained with her tall tales about a series of perfect murders in the quaint village of Wychwood. But when he reads the next day of the freak accident that killer her, too, Fitzwilliam's amusement turns to grave concern. A visit to the isolated village confirms his worst fears. For Wychwood seems to be divided by an eccentric lot of locals: those who are in on a dark and dangerous secret--and those who don't live long enough to share it.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:15 -0400)

A Scotland Yard investigator pursues a murderer in a small English village.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,669,318 books! | Top bar: Always visible