Queen of the South by Arturo…

Queen of the South (original 2002; edition 2005)

by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Author)

Member:Honyasbookshelf
Title:Queen of the South
Authors:Arturo Pérez-Reverte (Author)
Info:Plume (2005), Edition: Reprint, 464 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:Arturo Pérez-Reverte, digital copy, Nook

The Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (2002)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (lilisin)
    lilisin: "Queen of the South" is a modern retake on "The Count". Not my favorite read but you can definitely see the parallels.
    At the Devil's Table: The Untold Story of the Insider Who Brought Down the Cali Cartel by William C. Rempel (srdr)
    srdr: For readers looking for a non-fiction title on the same topic, this one has even more suspense.

English (38)  Spanish (3)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (44)
Such a wealth of the nuggets I seek in international crime: distant cultures, unusual characters, gifted translators...alas I finally had to set it aside. How do you ignore the narrator's voice? How can a novel built around a paean to an illusive woman operating on hostile shores be so gender demeaning? Even worse is the investigator's reliance on the very networks of compadre connections that sought to hold back our hero back. It just didn't ring true even as the plot pulled me forward. I made it about 140 pages into a 434 page work. Even as I sighed putting it aside I felt relieved letting it go. ( )
  danhammang | Mar 27, 2019 |
There were a few bizarre things about the story, and there were several things that were rather repetitive... but overall, I enjoyed this book (I'd give it a 3 1/2 if I could) .. and will be looking for another by this author. ( )
  LaurieGienapp | Dec 8, 2017 |
The best from a most talented writer (and credit must be given to the translators). Perez-Riverte takes the reader inside the complicated mind of a Spanish-Mexican girl who, by good luck and bad, becomes the head of a drug cartel in Spain. Teresa's thoughts always encompass survival and then the ever-existential "why I am here and why I am I doing what I do?" She falls under the influence of two men and a woman who use her and then are themselves discarded. And she always sees and feels all the Teresas that she is and was and surround her still. A most memorable and brilliant novel. ( )
1 vote froxgirl | Sep 18, 2016 |
Arturo Perez-Reverte has a reputation for writing superior literary thrillers, and The Queen of the South is a fine example of this. As translated by Andrew Hurley, this is an ambitious, wordy and fascinating story about one woman’s rise through the drug smuggling world. The point of view switches between the Queen of the South, Teresa Mendoza and an anonymous writer who is researching material on her life in order to write a book.

The book opens with a bang as Teresa Mendoza, learns of the death of her boyfriend who delivers shipments of drugs across the border. He has warned her that there could come a time when she has to drop everything and run, and this was that time. She starts to build a new life for herself in southern Spain but gets involved with another drug runner and soon finds herself accompanying him on his trips across the Strait of Gibraltar. The boyfriend is eventually set up as a patsy and he is killed. She is captured and goes to prison. While in prison she meets a woman who not only teaches her everything to survive prison, they also form a partnership and are able to recover a huge shipment of cocaine. Using this to build her power base, she soon is controlling much of the drugs that are moved between Morocco and Spain for eventual distribution throughout Europe. But coming full circle she eventually runs afoul of the Mexican drug cartels once again.

Lies, deception, violence, treachery and corruption are the frame upon which the life of Teresa Mendoza is based on. The story of how a small time narco’s girlfriend became the rich and powerful Queen of the South was quite the read. The book has been meticulously researched and at times there is simply too much information being laid out. I also had some difficulties with both too many characters to keep track of, and a lack of character definition. However, the story was so interesting that I was able to overlook these flaws and simply enjoy the book. ( )
2 vote DeltaQueen50 | May 20, 2016 |
Quite a departure for Perez-Reverte (not an art-mystery or an historical swashbuckler) - but possibly his most heavy-hitting work to date. After the first couple of chapters, my first thought was, 'this is just like a Quentin Tarantino film!' However, the book as a whole is much more insightful and thoughtful - if just as violent.
This story of the rise of a female drug-runner, told both from her perspective and that of an investigative journalist writing a book of her life, may show the author's past as a war journalist. One comes away from this book feeling that you truly know the milieu, the danger, the people and the motivations... and that likely a lot of the book is fact.
Pulls no punches.. and while a lot of it is exciting and suspenseful, it is also tense, disturbing, and often sad.
One of the best parts of reading is that it can truly open windows into other cultures, other perspectives - this book definitely succeeded in doing that for me. ( )
1 vote AltheaAnn | Feb 9, 2016 |

Arturo Pérez-Reverteprimary authorall editionscalculated
Borges, Antonio FernandoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Maspero, FrançoisTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O telefone tocou e ela compreendeu que iam matá-la.

Few authors inspire the kind of passion that Arturo Pérez-Reverte does. Reviewers, readers, and booksellers alike have embraced his fiction as the perfect blend of suspense and literary ambition. A global bestseller, he is one of the most admired and widely read authors in the world. And his stunning new novel is his best yet.

A remarkable tale, The Queen of the South spans continents, from the dusty streets of Mexico to the sparkling waters off the coast of Morocco, to Spain and the Strait of Gibraltar. A sweeping story set to the irresistible beat of the drug smugglers' ballads, it encompasses sensuality and cruelty, love and betrayal, as its heroine's story unfolds.

Teresa Mendoza's boyfriend is a drug smuggler who the narcos of Sinaloa, Mexico, call "the king of the short runway," because he can get a plane full of coke off the ground in three hundred yards. But in a ruthless business, life can be short, and Teresa even has a special cell phone that Guero gave her along with a dark warning. If that phone rings, it means he's dead, and she'd better run, because they're coming for her next.

Then the call comes.

In order to survive, she will have to say goodbye to the old Teresa, an innocent girl who once entrusted her life to a pinche narco smuggler. She will have to find inside herself a woman who is tough enough to inhabit a world as ugly and dangerous as that of the narcos-a woman she never before knew existed. Indeed, the woman who emerges will surprise even those who know her legend, that of the Queen of the South.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:17 -0400)

When she discovers that her boyfriend Guero, a Mexican drug smuggler, has been killed by rivals and that she is the next target, Teresa Mendoza must give up her old life and become a member of a dark and deadly world in order to survive.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,371,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible