The Queen of the South by Arturo…

The Queen of the South (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Arturo Perez-Reverte

1,490None4,963 (3.71)81
Member:Groznny
Title:The Queen of the South
Authors:Arturo Perez-Reverte
Info:Putnam Adult (2004), Hardcover, 438 pages
Rating:*****

The Queen of the South by Arturo Pérez-Reverte (2002)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (lilisin)
    lilisin: "Queen of the South" is a modern retake on "The Count". Not my favorite read but you can definitely see the parallels.

English (31)  Spanish (2)  German (1)  All languages (34)
Teresa Mendoza's boyfriend has told her that if the phone "...ever rings, it’s because I’m dead. So run. As far and as fast as you can, prietita…” Running drugs is a dangerous business. Teresa runs fast and far fleeing Mexico for Spain and winding up in Melilla—a city belonging to Spain but located in North Africa bordered by Morocco and the Mediterranean. After several months working in a bar Teresa finds that she is not content merely surviving and begins a long climb into the world of drug trafficking and through sheer determination, intelligence, and luck she establishes her operation as one of the largest in the Mediterranean.

The story is told in alternating segments: in third person narrative following Teresa Mendoza and a first person narrative of a reporter’s investigation into her life years down the road. Those familiar with Perez-Reverte’s earlier novels (The Dumas Club, The Fencing Master) will note that this new novel is considerably different than his earlier work. Part thriller, part mystery, and perhaps just a smidgen of chic lit with a serious edge on it. ( )
  bibliostuff | Mar 20, 2014 |
After a difficult start, I found this book to be tremendously engaging. Rather than "glorify" the drug lord culture, the book follows this woman's life from pretty much a nothing girlfriend of a minor drug dealer, to a major player in the world of international drug trade. Although I abhor what this "industry' does, it was fascinating to read about a world I would never have any access to otherwise.

The melding of fact and fiction was heightened for me when I tried to do some research on the web about the "real" Mendoza - only to find that the movie that was begun, based on the book was halted due to safety concerns for the cast and crew.

This book was definitely very different than Perez-Reverte's other books (at least the 2 I've read), but it is a fine, well-crafted book. And, again, although I don't believe the book glorifies the drug trade, you find yourself rooting for this woman who's learned in all of the hardest ways how to outman then men in this world, to think under pressure and to let no man or woman cause her to make a careless error. The enormity of how well she does this is revealed at the end of the book, and I found myself reviewing in my head many of the scenes that are affected by the secret she's kept for decades!
Brilliant book - although, because of the language and subject matter - much darker than his other books, which I often save for the summer when I really have time to sink into a book that portrays worlds far from the ones I travel in ( )
  MarshaKT | Aug 1, 2013 |
I loved this book!!! The story of a young Mexican woman who gets mixed up in the drug trade of the nineties (I think), she escapes the lifestyle by moving to Spain and becoming her own boss-in the drug trade. Fabulously written, I felt like I was in the sun and on the boats and living that whole rich lifestyle with more than a touch of anxiety riding underneath. Not at all the type of book that I normally read, but I love the author's other books and gave this one a shot-it is definitely one of his best and I recommend it to everyone. ( )
  jessiejluna | Jun 15, 2013 |
I was confused by the story at first but after the first 50 pages the story began to come together and I really enjoyed it. ( )
  EctopicBrain | Dec 4, 2012 |
Try as I might, this just wasn't the book for me. I'm not much of a mystery fan and though this was well written, it was too long and predictable. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Dec 19, 2011 |

Arturo Pérez-Reverteprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pérez-Reverte, Arturomain authorall editionsconfirmed
Borges, Antonio FernandoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O telefone tocou e ela compreendeu que iam matá-la.

Few authors inspire the kind of passion that Arturo Pérez-Reverte does. Reviewers, readers, and booksellers alike have embraced his fiction as the perfect blend of suspense and literary ambition. A global bestseller, he is one of the most admired and widely read authors in the world. And his stunning new novel is his best yet.

A remarkable tale, The Queen of the South spans continents, from the dusty streets of Mexico to the sparkling waters off the coast of Morocco, to Spain and the Strait of Gibraltar. A sweeping story set to the irresistible beat of the drug smugglers' ballads, it encompasses sensuality and cruelty, love and betrayal, as its heroine's story unfolds.

Teresa Mendoza's boyfriend is a drug smuggler who the narcos of Sinaloa, Mexico, call "the king of the short runway," because he can get a plane full of coke off the ground in three hundred yards. But in a ruthless business, life can be short, and Teresa even has a special cell phone that Guero gave her along with a dark warning. If that phone rings, it means he's dead, and she'd better run, because they're coming for her next.

Then the call comes.

In order to survive, she will have to say goodbye to the old Teresa, an innocent girl who once entrusted her life to a pinche narco smuggler. She will have to find inside herself a woman who is tough enough to inhabit a world as ugly and dangerous as that of the narcos-a woman she never before knew existed. Indeed, the woman who emerges will surprise even those who know her legend, that of the Queen of the South.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:43 -0400)

Cuando descubre que su novio G?uero, un traficante de drogas mexicano, ha sido asesinado por sus rivales y que es el proximo objetivo, Teresa Mendoza debe renunciar a su vida anterior y convertirse en un miembro de un mundo oscuro y mortal para sobrevivir.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,492,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible