16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, Book 1) by…

16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, Book 1)

by Debbie Macomber

Linda Emond
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Book on CD read by Sandra Burr

Olivia Lockhart is at the center of this ensemble piece, the first in the Cedar Cove series. Olivia is a family court judge. Her own marriage ended in divorce some years back and she has a tenuous relationship with her daughter, Justine (who is dating an older and very unsuitable man). Olivia’s mother, Charlotte, likes to visit the judge’s courtroom and when she weighs in on a divorce case Olivia decides to deny the divorce petition. Her court decision captures the attention of a new editor of the local paper, Jack Griffin. The story line also includes the drama in Olivia’s best friend’s marriage and the difficulties being faced by the young couple whose divorce she denies.

I’d heard about Debbie Macomber many times over the years, but had read only one of her books before. A new TV miniseries is about to start based on this book and the rest of the series, so this one captured my attention. Also, it satisfied a couple of challenges both in Shelfari and Good Reads groups for beach reads, contemporary reads, and reading outside my comfort zone (romance).

I certainly understand why her works are popular: we have likeable characters with serious flaws (and/or blind spots), some very real situations that readers can easily relate to, and a few mildly steamy scenes to grab our interest. However, I found this simply too melodramatic for my reading tastes. I was listening to the CDs and kept commenting, “oh, please!” and/or rolling my eyes. Several plot lines are left hanging, a device that reminds one of the “Perils of Pauline” serials used to keep movie audiences coming back week after week to find out what happens next.

Sandra Burr’s reading on the audio wasn’t to my liking either. Her “deep” man’s voice was just plain irritating (or maybe that was the point because several of these men WERE irritating). Also, her pacing was somewhat slow.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
Easy and pleasant read. ( )
  soosthemoose | Apr 14, 2015 |
16 Lighthouse Road is the first book in Debbie Macomber's Cedar Cove series (re-release 5/2013), so looking forward to reading the series as missed the first go around. Sparks always flying in Cedar Cove - this quaint small town where everyone knows everyone's business - from missing husbands, some off to the Navy, some grieving over child's death, and some fighting divorce, and others new and old loves. Hallmark Channel Series - Debbie is a talented writer and is always engaging with her audience. ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
16 lighthouse road
Debbie Macomber
★☆★

I liked this book. I did. I didn't love this book, it didn't pull me in like other books have. I was told this was a romamce series. There is romance, but nothing steamy lol! Soaps are more steamy than this. It was drama/womems fiction which I don't mimd at all.

Charlotte (Judge olivias mom) is probably one of my fave chatacters. I'm not too fond of what I've seen of Jack (olivias current interest) Justine (olivias daughter) wasn't very likeable. I did like seth though. Grace was sweet and I felt very sorry for what she had to go through.
my biggest thing with this book I think is we met so many charachters to begin with there wasn't any connection. I can't even tell yoi which character was the main character in this book.

I did love Cecilia and Ians story. I real ly would have liked to get a more in depth look at the them. I feel they should have a book more about them. Their issues are real life issues people especially ones in the military face. I would have liked to see them actually work through it more. it all seemed to fast for me. one minute they hate eachother, then they can sorta stand eachother, then tragedy strikes and magically everythings ok. I didn't like that

it was a good book. Had a lot going on
I will continue this series, but I'm not in a hurry. ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
In memory of Rita Adler, December 26, 1950 - December 12, 2000. We shall miss you.
Cecelia Randall had heard of people who, if granted one wish, would choose to live their lives over again.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0778329720, Paperback)

Perennial favorite Debbie Macomber does what she does best in 16 Lighthouse Road, introducing fans to the scenic Pacific Northwest town of Cedar Cove, Washington, and its panoply of characters, including family court judge Olivia Lockhart who makes news when she denies the divorce petition of Cecilia and Ian Randall. Decreeing that the young couple had not tried hard enough to make their relationship work following the tragic death of their newborn daughter, Olivia's decision brings her to the attention of recent Cedar Cove arrival, newspaper editor Jack Griffin. And Jack's attentions are not entirely unwelcome for the long-divorced Olivia. In addition to her continued involvement in Cecilia and Ian's ongoing negotiations, Olivia's life is further complicated by her mother, Charlotte, her daughter, Justine, and her best friend, Grace, as they struggle with the difficult situations life tosses their way. Charlotte becomes enmeshed in trying to solve a mystery left to her by a mute stroke victim she befriends just before he dies. Justine has found the perfect man for her, one who shares her ambitions and thoughts on relationships, but why does she keep thinking about the boy she knew in high school who has grown into quite a man? And Grace's husband, Dan, has disappeared--again--and Grace has no idea where he is and when or if he'll be back. The multiple story lines and numerous relationships make reading at times challenging, but Macomber fans, old and new, will stand up and cheer as the prolific author lodges her protest against the disposable personal relationships all too common today. --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

Family court judge Olivia Lockhart becomes front page news when she refuses to grant a divorce to a naval officer and his wife after the the death of their baby, and discovers the lives of her family and friends to be increasingly complex.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,266,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible