16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, Book 1) by…

16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, Book 1)

by Debbie Macomber

Just what I needed after finishing Unaccustomed Earth. I can see myself picking up a book in this series in between heavier reads. ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie Macomber is the first book in the Ceder Cove series. It follows Judge Olivia Lockhart, her best friend Grace whose husband disappears after 35 years of marriage and is seen with another woman, Ian and Cecilia Randall (a couple who want to divorce after the loss of their daughter but are denied the easy out by Judge Lockhart, and Olivia’s mother and daughter, who each have their own issues to contend with.
I loved this book. It was such a wonderful neighborhood read. I fell in love with the characters right away. They were very well developed and complex. I felt as though they were truly people that I knew and I could not wait to find out what happened to them.
The storyline flowed really well and I could not put the book down. I am very glad this is a series because I cannot wait to continue reading about these wonderful people so full of heart.
This was my first Debby Macomber book and it will definitely not be my last. I would recommend this book to anybody!
  alyssaross | Nov 8, 2016 |
A thoroughly enjoyable introduction to Cedar Cove. ( )
  rwilliams2911 | Jun 21, 2016 |
Linda Emond
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
Book on CD read by Sandra Burr

Olivia Lockhart is at the center of this ensemble piece, the first in the Cedar Cove series. Olivia is a family court judge. Her own marriage ended in divorce some years back and she has a tenuous relationship with her daughter, Justine (who is dating an older and very unsuitable man). Olivia’s mother, Charlotte, likes to visit the judge’s courtroom and when she weighs in on a divorce case Olivia decides to deny the divorce petition. Her court decision captures the attention of a new editor of the local paper, Jack Griffin. The story line also includes the drama in Olivia’s best friend’s marriage and the difficulties being faced by the young couple whose divorce she denies.

I’d heard about Debbie Macomber many times over the years, but had read only one of her books before. A new TV miniseries is about to start based on this book and the rest of the series, so this one captured my attention. Also, it satisfied a couple of challenges both in Shelfari and Good Reads groups for beach reads, contemporary reads, and reading outside my comfort zone (romance).

I certainly understand why her works are popular: we have likeable characters with serious flaws (and/or blind spots), some very real situations that readers can easily relate to, and a few mildly steamy scenes to grab our interest. However, I found this simply too melodramatic for my reading tastes. I was listening to the CDs and kept commenting, “oh, please!” and/or rolling my eyes. Several plot lines are left hanging, a device that reminds one of the “Perils of Pauline” serials used to keep movie audiences coming back week after week to find out what happens next.

Sandra Burr’s reading on the audio wasn’t to my liking either. Her “deep” man’s voice was just plain irritating (or maybe that was the point because several of these men WERE irritating). Also, her pacing was somewhat slow.
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |
In memory of Rita Adler, December 26, 1950 - December 12, 2000. We shall miss you.
Cecelia Randall had heard of people who, if granted one wish, would choose to live their lives over again.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0778329720, Paperback)

Perennial favorite Debbie Macomber does what she does best in 16 Lighthouse Road, introducing fans to the scenic Pacific Northwest town of Cedar Cove, Washington, and its panoply of characters, including family court judge Olivia Lockhart who makes news when she denies the divorce petition of Cecilia and Ian Randall. Decreeing that the young couple had not tried hard enough to make their relationship work following the tragic death of their newborn daughter, Olivia's decision brings her to the attention of recent Cedar Cove arrival, newspaper editor Jack Griffin. And Jack's attentions are not entirely unwelcome for the long-divorced Olivia. In addition to her continued involvement in Cecilia and Ian's ongoing negotiations, Olivia's life is further complicated by her mother, Charlotte, her daughter, Justine, and her best friend, Grace, as they struggle with the difficult situations life tosses their way. Charlotte becomes enmeshed in trying to solve a mystery left to her by a mute stroke victim she befriends just before he dies. Justine has found the perfect man for her, one who shares her ambitions and thoughts on relationships, but why does she keep thinking about the boy she knew in high school who has grown into quite a man? And Grace's husband, Dan, has disappeared--again--and Grace has no idea where he is and when or if he'll be back. The multiple story lines and numerous relationships make reading at times challenging, but Macomber fans, old and new, will stand up and cheer as the prolific author lodges her protest against the disposable personal relationships all too common today. --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

Family court judge Olivia Lockhart becomes front page news when she refuses to grant a divorce to a naval officer and his wife after the the death of their baby, and discovers the lives of her family and friends to be increasingly complex.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,213,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible