16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie Macomber

16 Lighthouse Road

by Debbie Macomber

751None12,473 (3.76)22

I needed something a bit cozy to read after having a bit of real life tragedy rain on me & this fit the bill perfectly. I did catch the first episode of Cedar Cove on Hallmark Channel & knew that I needed to read the series. It's light & has just enough heart to pull me in & make me smile. It's nice to drop in on a small town & spend time with people who are living their lives without too much darkness & angst (I read plenty of that as it is). This was a nice change of pace & I also have to admit that I liked Justine a lot more in the book than I did on the show. I was much more able to empathize with her in this story & I look forward to reading more about her. I also liked finding out about Olivia's youngest son, Jordan. I don't recall him being mentioned on the episode of the show that I watched. I picked up a couple more of the Cedar Cove books at the library, so I can definitely say, I'll continue with the series. I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a light weekend read or just the thing when you just want a soft place to land. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
I think I've mis-shelved this book. It doesn't really belong on "Heaving Bosoms" , but I refuse to start a "Fluttering Bosoms", so what can you do. I'm reading this Cedar Cove series because my family is doing it sort of as a group reading, and I'd like to stay in the loop with the family conversations. So I'm listening to them on audio, and Sandra Burr is her usual very competent self, bringing more life to the narration than I certainly could. The setting is the Anywhere USA town that every family sitcom from mid-century America was set in. Including those same values and mores. There's little or no crime, deviance, or depravity of any kind. Even the "bad" characters are, at worst, a little selfish and mean-spirited. Oh, and the one rich guy who's rumored to engage in shady business practices, has (gasp) divorced several wives, and dates women young enough to be his daughter. He's the only villain, as he wants to marry the young woman in spite of the fact that he can't get it up, locking her into a sexless and passionless and, even worse, BABYLESS marriage, but is happy to facilitate her engaging in extramarital affairs . They strongly value getting married, having babies, and interfering in each other's personal business. They do not seem to value birth control, rational adult communication, or an individual's right to self determination. Work and career are only a setting in which to carry out their personal dramas. The judge's mother routinely barges into her office to carry out personal conversations which for some reason can't wait until 5pm. My chief amusement in listening to this audiobook was continuously telling the characters what I thought of them and in imagining each annoying character getting just desserts for their refusal to communicate and interfering busybodiness - the judge disbarred, her mother occupying that jail cell with "Big Bertha" for theft and HIPAA violations, etc.
  PortM | Nov 30, 2013 |
I managed to listen to the end. This is clearly one of many books by Macomber dealing with the fictitious town of Cedar Cove, located near the Naval shipyard of Brimmerton, Washington.

United through friendship, family, or professionally to judge Olivia Lockhart, the book is a look at the complexities of daily living of 7 citizens of Cedar Cove. Nothing serves to tie the separate vignettes together, yet individually each is reconciled by the end of the book.

I probably would have enjoyed the book quite well when I was in my 20s but found it boring in the extreme now that I am considerably older than that! I cannot regret listening to the book, since now I know for certain I do not want to purchase any more. ( )
  kaulsu | Jan 25, 2013 |
This was my first Debbie Macomber novel and the first in the Cedar Cove series. I'm so happy I decided to give Macomber a try. I loved the writing and all the stories taking place. I'll definitely be reading the rest of the Cedar Cove series and others by Macomber. ( )
  bryantkeli | Nov 6, 2012 |
I read Rose Harber Inn and wanted to read more about Cedar Cove Series. The 1st book in the series the loveable character. Iwas introduced to Judge Olivia Lockhart & her family. Then Olivia's best friend Grace Sherman and her family that her husband Dan disappeared without explanation, and Cecelia and Ian Randall that wanted a devorce after the death of their daughter. Olivia denided the devorce because they can work through there grieving. I can not wait to read the next book to see what happen next. ( )
  jbemrose | Sep 27, 2012 |
In memory of Rita Adler, December 26, 1950 - December 12, 2000. We shall miss you.
Cecelia Randall had heard of people who, if granted one wish, would choose to live their lives over again.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0778329720, Paperback)

Perennial favorite Debbie Macomber does what she does best in 16 Lighthouse Road, introducing fans to the scenic Pacific Northwest town of Cedar Cove, Washington, and its panoply of characters, including family court judge Olivia Lockhart who makes news when she denies the divorce petition of Cecilia and Ian Randall. Decreeing that the young couple had not tried hard enough to make their relationship work following the tragic death of their newborn daughter, Olivia's decision brings her to the attention of recent Cedar Cove arrival, newspaper editor Jack Griffin. And Jack's attentions are not entirely unwelcome for the long-divorced Olivia. In addition to her continued involvement in Cecilia and Ian's ongoing negotiations, Olivia's life is further complicated by her mother, Charlotte, her daughter, Justine, and her best friend, Grace, as they struggle with the difficult situations life tosses their way. Charlotte becomes enmeshed in trying to solve a mystery left to her by a mute stroke victim she befriends just before he dies. Justine has found the perfect man for her, one who shares her ambitions and thoughts on relationships, but why does she keep thinking about the boy she knew in high school who has grown into quite a man? And Grace's husband, Dan, has disappeared--again--and Grace has no idea where he is and when or if he'll be back. The multiple story lines and numerous relationships make reading at times challenging, but Macomber fans, old and new, will stand up and cheer as the prolific author lodges her protest against the disposable personal relationships all too common today. --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:18 -0400)

Family court judge Olivia Lockhart becomes front page news when she refuses to grant a divorce to a naval officer and his wife after the the death of their baby, and discovers the lives of her family and friends to be increasingly complex.

Three editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible