16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, Book 1) by…

16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, Book 1) (edition 2001)

by Debbie Macomber

Member:bookworm1982
Title:16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, Book 1)
Authors:Debbie Macomber
Info:Mira (2001), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:BOX #17

16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie Macomber

16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie Macomber,

Ian Randall was out at sea when his young wife Cecilia gave birth to a baby with a faulty heart. Not long afterward, Cecilia stands alone burying their daughter. Unable to cope, Cecilia and Ian agree to divorce, but Cedar Cove, Washington Family Court Judge Olivia Lockhart denies their request. She believes the pain is clouding their decisions and both remain in love with each other.The new Cedar Cove Chronicle editor Jack Griffin attended the court on the day that Olivia issued her shocking ruling in the Randall case. He writes a laudatory editorial praising the decision. Jack wants to start seeing Olivia, who he admires for her courage and conviction to avoid the easy road of granting the divorce decree. However, he has quite a road to travel, as she has never recovered from her divorce. Meanwhile her mother interferes in her cases and her daughter drives her crazy while her son joins the navy. This is a normal scenario for Judge Lockhart. ( )
  rena75 | Mar 20, 2019 |
16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie Macomber,

| Mar 6, 2019 | edit |
I expected a good book when I started this but I LOVED it! I can't wait to read the next one. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Sep 1, 2018 |
I was given this book by a friend of a friend, otherwise I probably would not have read it since I don't particularly like how far Macomber lets her unmarried characters go in passion before she reigns them in--though at least she doesn't have unmarried characters sleeping together like so many authors do--they do get close though--and in this book, one character even suggests another have an affair with another man after she marries the first character!

The central story is supposed to be that Judge Olivia Lockhart refuses to grant a divorce to a Navy man and his wife because she believes they still love each other and are just being influenced by emotions after their premature daughter dies while he is deployed.

However, other stories revolve around this one: Olivia's mother, Charlotte, befriends a man she later learns was a western star and finds his grandson in order to pass on some memoribilia. Charlotte also starts writing a newspaper column. Olivia finds a relationship with the newspaper's editor, Jack Griffin. Justine, Olivia's daughter, makes a surprising decision between two men. Olivia's friend, Grace, faces the loss of her thirty-something year marriage, for reasons as yet unknown.

I can't put my finger on why this book didn't intrigue me. Part of it is the history I have with Macomber's fiction. I don't feel like I really connected with the characters much in this book. I can't figure out Olivia's decision--the book almost makes it sound like Olivia took her mother's advice about deciding the case--Olivia is a grown woman and a judge. She shouldn't need her mother to help her decide what the right thing to do is while in court. That part of the premise seems silly to me.

I was glad to see that Ian and Cecilia work out their communication issues and that Andrew and Cathy will apparently have a pregnancy that goes to term. I was glad to see the decision that Justine made between the two men and that her relationship with her mother seems to be improving. I'm also glad to see that Grace is beginning to accept her new life by the end of the book--though I suspect her story will continue. ( )
  JenniferRobb | Jul 7, 2018 |
I enjoyed the cast a characters.
I didn't like the voice the narrator used for Olivia.
It is a sad truth that most marriages do not survive the death of a child. ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 11, 2018 |
In memory of Rita Adler, December 26, 1950 - December 12, 2000. We shall miss you.
Cecelia Randall had heard of people who, if granted one wish, would choose to live their lives over again.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0778329720, Paperback)

Perennial favorite Debbie Macomber does what she does best in 16 Lighthouse Road, introducing fans to the scenic Pacific Northwest town of Cedar Cove, Washington, and its panoply of characters, including family court judge Olivia Lockhart who makes news when she denies the divorce petition of Cecilia and Ian Randall. Decreeing that the young couple had not tried hard enough to make their relationship work following the tragic death of their newborn daughter, Olivia's decision brings her to the attention of recent Cedar Cove arrival, newspaper editor Jack Griffin. And Jack's attentions are not entirely unwelcome for the long-divorced Olivia. In addition to her continued involvement in Cecilia and Ian's ongoing negotiations, Olivia's life is further complicated by her mother, Charlotte, her daughter, Justine, and her best friend, Grace, as they struggle with the difficult situations life tosses their way. Charlotte becomes enmeshed in trying to solve a mystery left to her by a mute stroke victim she befriends just before he dies. Justine has found the perfect man for her, one who shares her ambitions and thoughts on relationships, but why does she keep thinking about the boy she knew in high school who has grown into quite a man? And Grace's husband, Dan, has disappeared--again--and Grace has no idea where he is and when or if he'll be back. The multiple story lines and numerous relationships make reading at times challenging, but Macomber fans, old and new, will stand up and cheer as the prolific author lodges her protest against the disposable personal relationships all too common today. --Alison Trinkle

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:50 -0400)

Family court judge Olivia Lockhart becomes front page news when she refuses to grant a divorce to a naval officer and his wife after the the death of their baby, and discovers the lives of her family and friends to be increasingly complex.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,474,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible