Tuer le père by Amélie Nothomb

Tuer le père (edition 2011)

by Amélie Nothomb (Author)

Member:Petroglyph
Title:Tuer le père
Authors:Amélie Nothomb (Author)
Info:
Collections:Your library, Ebooks, E-Reader
Rating:***1/2
Tags:father, teenagers, magicians, burning man, fire, quirky, las vegas, poker, sträckläst, read in bathtub, ebook, kindle, read:2012

Tuer le père by Amélie Nothomb

French (3)  Dutch (2)  English (2)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (9)
Joe Whip, a 14 year-old boy interested in magic gets kicked out of the house by his mother and her boyfriend. His life changes when a couple, magician Norman Terrence and his girlfriend Christina take him in to live with them. Weird dynamics develop between the members of this newly founded family. The adoptive parents will experience what it is like to have a teenager at home and somewhere along the way, the story takes what will be a "sick" turn for some and an excepted one for others when Joe falls in love with Christina .... ( )
  beata | Mar 12, 2013 |
This is the 15th book of Amelie Nothomb's that I have read. Nothomb to me is like ginger on a sushi plate, considered a palate cleanser. I like to read her when I've just read a tome or a book I really enjoyed, as her work will not steal the thunder of the previous book and allows me to taxi while I decide on my next book. Her books are a relaxing pleasure to read as her writing is very smooth; she knows what she's doing.

This particular book reminded me of flipping the channels and deciding to watch a tv show. This book required only an hour of my time to read and while reading it I was immersed. It's about an aspiring magician named Joe who is thrown out of his house by his mother, who has chosen her boyfriend over her son. He is then introduced to the greatest magician in Nevada, Norman, who takes him in to mentor him. As Norman and his girlfriend Christina house him, Norman begins to feel like a father to Joe. However, Joe seems keen to manipulate Norman's feelings, to more or less "kill the father".

As always, Nothomb is fabulous and bringing us along an interesting story with some interesting observations of what it means to be chosen versus just being accepted. It did not contain the wit and humor that Nothomb usually puts in her books as she decided to focus on the relationships between the characters instead.

So, entertaining, but like the tv show, once it's over, it's just time to find another book. ( )
1 vote lilisin | Jul 27, 2012 |
« L'obstination est contraire à la nature, contraire à la vie. Les seules personnes parfaitement obstinées sont les morts. »

Aldous Huxley
Le 6 octobre 2010, L'Illégal fêtait ses dix ans.
Qui voyait Norman et Christina ensemble était frappé par leur point commun: ils avaient une même façon de se taire. On observait leur manière hiératique de siéger silencieux l'un à côté de l'autre, tels un roi et une reine de l'époque mycénienne, n'échangent rien que leur beauté et leur majesté.

Il raconte l'histoire d'un adolescent, Joe. Passionne d'illusionnisme, il vit seul avec sa me re qui ne l'aime pas et collectionne les beaux-pe res. Lorsqu'elle pense avoir trouve le bon, elle demande a son garc ?on de de barasser le plancher. Joe s'en va bien volontiers, de cide a gagner sa vie en exerc ?ant l'art de la magie. Pour progresser, il s'invite chez Norman, l'un des meilleurs prestidigitateurs du monde. Celui-ci le prend sous son aile, lui enseigne ses secrets et l'e le ve comme son fils avec sa femme Christina. Joe tombe amoureux de Christina. Tout c ?a risque de mal finir.Joe Whip, a 14 year-old boy interested in magic gets kicked out of the house by his mother and her boyfriend. His life changes when a couple, magician Norman Terrence and his girlfriend Christina take him in to live with them. Weird dynamics develop between the members of this newly founded family. The adoptive parents will experience what it is like to have a teenager at home and somewhere along the way, the story takes what will be a "sick" turn for some and an excepted one for others when Joe falls in love with Christina...… (more)

6 wanted1 pay1 pay

Voland Edizioni

An edition of this book was published by Voland Edizioni.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,351,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible