It Takes a Witch: A Wishcraft Mystery by…

It Takes a Witch: A Wishcraft Mystery (edition 2012)

by Heather Blake

Member:Jerreece
Title:It Takes a Witch: A Wishcraft Mystery
Authors:Heather Blake
Info:Signet (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

It Takes A Witch by Heather Blake

English (22)  Piratical (1)  All (23)
A great new to me is set in a village outside of Salem, Massachusetts where may witches reside, each with one of several different types of talents, wishcrafting, curecrafting,...really enjoyed the atmosphere of the village and characters. Will read the next in the series of 7 (so far).

BTW, Heather Blake aka Heather Webber. ( )
  anglophile65 | May 23, 2017 |
Just the Cozy Mystery you've been wishing for! If Witches, Sisters (aren't they one in the same?!!!), and murder spark the magic in you, then a good read awaits your future! This book is part of the Wishcraft Mystery Series.

Witches and Sisters, aren't they the same? Just combine the two and add a little murder to spark the magic and this good read will ignite your interest!
  mcmlsbookbutler | Feb 10, 2017 |
I found this to be surprisingly good. I had seen it before in the Library's catalog and I had avoided it, but as I had run out of books to read (books that interest me at the moment), I thought I'd try something new (not different).

Darcy & her sister (wish-crafters) have gone to live with their Aunt Ve in "Enchanted Village" of Salem, MA. Enchanted Village is a tourist village of shops run and inhabited mostly by witches.

After a town meeting, the newest & most obnoxious resident, Alex(andra) has been found dead by strangulation in the alley. Alex wanted very badly to be a "witch" and worked at "crafting" herbals which made many people break out in hives & boils.... Alex also had a secret that she claimed would prove she was "one of them".

Aside: According to the story, powers were hereditary, and what one power a witch had depended on one's parent. A witch could marry a non-witch, but if the witch disclosed their power, they would lose it but it would be passed to their children. If the witch died the power would pass to the spouse, but the spouse would be unable to use the power...

Back to the story: Alex's Harry Winston diamond watch is missing and Aunt Ve's scarf is found around the dead woman's neck. Aunt Ve's boyfriend, who is found standing over Alex's body, was once dating Alex and is arrested.

Darcy meets Nick, a former detective w/ a a young daughter, they fall for each other & work to discover who really murdered Alex.

There were several entertaining instances of Darcy's "wishcrafting" gone awry but it was fun and fit in well with the rest of the story.

I have the 2nd & 3rd in the series on my reading table.... ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 8, 2017 |
Cute little fun book to read. I enjoyed it a lot and can't wait to read the other ones in the series. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
This book was incredibly cute/fun/light. Perfect if you're in the mood for a cozy or something amusing. It takes the witch theme and does something completely different with it. Rather than just the urban characters, the entire small town, 'Enchanted Village', is charming. Special touches are even added to each business name such as Spellbound books. People who are into a lot of magic and different elements surrounding that may be disappointed, though. To me the witch style is a bit weak that the main character possesses. In this world there are different types of crafters.

It rocks humor without having to try hard and the characters are likeable. The heroine Darcy has some realistic hangups and flaws, while the love interest of the story, Nick, is serious and yummy. From charming to chuckle-inducing, it's the entire town and their interactions which really makes the book have a sparkle.

Who the murderer is was a surprise to a degree (I guessed it before it was revealed, but only at the end), and the clues and lead-up are good for mystery buffs searching for a puzzle worth solving. As is usual with cozies, the violence level isn't high, gore not there in any way (unless you count disgusting, suspicious rashes!) Pacing is evenly applied, and the writing style holds its own charm.

I do have to wonder if this is an error though and if the writer meant homemade soap, not candles:

"..just about drove Troy nuts when he came home to find the hall mirror suddenly turned into mosaic of the house stinking of lye because I'd try to make homemade candles.."

It was a nice surprise for the emphasis in reading and love of books to be heavy. The heroine's sister, Harper, another fun quirky type, emphasizes throughout the novel how much she loves books. Found this part particularly cute:

"He does manage the bookstore, which is currently my favorite place on earth." Her eyes glazed over. "All those books. If I married him, I could probably work there the rest of my life. Nothing would make me happier."

"What about love?" Ve asked.

"Oh," Harper said solemnly. "I love books."

Overall I'm itching for more of this series and will definitely continue it. It's not the best magic/witch book I've read, but it's charm makes an incredible cozy mystery. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
This one is for Jessica Faust. Thank you for everything.
Usually I'm not in the habit of tiptoeing through strange houses under the cover of darkness.

Darcy Merriweather and her sister, Harper, hail from a long line of witches who have the power to grant wishes using spells. They've come to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, but they soon find themselves knee-deep in murder...
Until three weeks ago, Darcy and Harper were working dead-end jobs and trying to put their troubles behind them. Then their aunt Velma delivered a bombshell: They're actually Wishcrafters - witches with the power to grant wishes with a mere spell. Wanting a fresh start, they head to their aunt's magic-themed tourist town to master their newfound skills.
But their magic fails them when a wannabe witch turns up dead - strangled with Aunt Ve's scarf - and Ve's sweetheart, Sylar, is found looming over the body. Ve is standing by her man, but Darcy overheard Sylar wish that the victim would disappear - forever. With Harper distracted by her handsome new crush, Darcy is determined to sleuth her way to the truth. But it'll take more than a wish to unravel this mystery...

When a wannabe witch turns up dead, witch sisters Darcy and Harper Merriweather, who have the power to grant wishes and have come to Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, find themselves trying to find the murderer.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,196,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible