It Takes a Witch: A Wishcraft Mystery by…

It Takes a Witch: A Wishcraft Mystery (edition 2012)

by Heather Blake

Member:Jerreece
Title:It Takes a Witch: A Wishcraft Mystery
Authors:Heather Blake
Info:Signet (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

It Takes a Witch by Heather Blake

English (13)  Piratical (1)  All languages (14)
Read for Bookclub (DFWTea)(Kindle)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 4.25
Character Rating: 3.75

First Thought when Finished: I am not sure where my original review of It Takes a Witch by Heather Blake went (this is a re-read for me) but it was fun coming back to the beginning of the series to refresh my memory of the sisters when they were new to town. Sometimes re-reads are just what hits the spot!

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, Done Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Dec 18, 2014 |
This book was a pure delight. The characters are very likeable without being cloying, the setting is charming, and the storyline very well written. Add a tantalizing mystery and you have a book that is very hard to put down. I highly recommend this book for anyone who enjoys a bit of paranormal and dry humor with their cozy mystery. ( )
  MareF | Jun 24, 2014 |
As much as I tried I just couldn't like this book. Not one I could get into, not my style. ( )
  KimberlyGScott | Jan 24, 2014 |
Recently divorced Darcy Merriweather and her younger sister Harper have just moved to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, after the death of their father. Their Aunt Ve let them in on a little family secret - they're both Wishcrafters. They inherited the power to grant wishes from their mother who died many years ago, but their father didn't want them practicing witchcraft while he was alive. Now Darcy and Harper are living with Aunt Ve in the Enchanted Village, learning about their heritage and new found powers.

A town meeting is called to address the theft problem in the village. There's a pickpocket on the loose, and business owners are concerned the crime spree will scare away the tourists. At the meeting, Darcy is introduced to several town residents, both magical and mortal (though she's not sure who's a crafter and who's not). She also meets the very handsome and charming Nick Sawyer, a former military man and police officer hired to catch the thief.

The meeting takes an ugly turn when a wannabe witch is murdered in the alley behind the bookstore, and Aunt Ve's boyfriend Sylar is found hovering over the body. Sylar is arrested, though the evidence against him is weak, and of course, Aunt Ve is distraught.

Darcy can't believe that her aunt's kind and lovable beau is a killer, so she does some investigating of her own. She finds out that the victim had more enemies than you could shake a wand at, and the town is full of juicy secrets.

What I loved:

The setting: I loved the Enchanted Village with its many magical-themed shops. The town had a very cozy feel - it's a place I'd love to visit.

The intriguing characters: The book had a large cast of characters, but each of them was unique and easy to remember. I liked how the village was home to many different types of crafters and familiars, all with different kinds of magical talents.

The well-constructed mystery: This was not an easy one to figure out (which I love). There were plenty of possible suspects and plot twists to keep me guessing. Darcy was a very clever sleuth!

The budding romance: I love cozy mysteries with a hint of romance, and Darcy & Nick's is setting up to be a good one, though they have some obstacles to overcome first.

The fantastic twist revealed on the last page: Read it and find out what it is. ;-)

What I didn't love:

The magical secrets: For some reason, Aunt Ve wouldn't share a lot of info regarding the craft with Darcy and Harper. A lot of stuff they had to figure out on their own, which didn't make sense. Aunt Ve should be teaching them not keeping them in the dark.

Overall, this book was a captivating beginning to the Wishcraft Mystery series, and I can't wait to read more! ( )
1 vote bookofsecrets | Jan 31, 2013 |
Currently reading
  Jerreece | Dec 28, 2012 |
This one is for Jessica Faust. Thank you for everything.
Usually I'm not in the habit of tiptoeing through strange houses under the cover of darkness.

Darcy Merriweather and her sister, Harper, hail from a long line of witches who have the power to grant wishes using spells. They've come to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, but they soon find themselves knee-deep in murder...
Until three weeks ago, Darcy and Harper were working dead-end jobs and trying to put their troubles behind them. Then their aunt Velma delivered a bombshell: They're actually Wishcrafters - witches with the power to grant wishes with a mere spell. Wanting a fresh start, they head to their aunt's magic-themed tourist town to master their newfound skills.
But their magic fails them when a wannabe witch turns up dead - strangled with Aunt Ve's scarf - and Ve's sweetheart, Sylar, is found looming over the body. Ve is standing by her man, but Darcy overheard Sylar wish that the victim would disappear - forever. With Harper distracted by her handsome new crush, Darcy is determined to sleuth her way to the truth. But it'll take more than a wish to unravel this mystery...

When a wannabe witch turns up dead, witch sisters Darcy and Harper Merriweather, who have the power to grant wishes and have come to Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, find themselves trying to find the murderer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,461,714 books! | Top bar: Always visible