It Takes a Witch: A Wishcraft Mystery by…

It Takes a Witch: A Wishcraft Mystery (edition 2012)

by Heather Blake

121None100,566 (4.07)3
Member:Jerreece
Title:It Takes a Witch: A Wishcraft Mystery
Authors:Heather Blake
Info:Signet (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

It Takes a Witch by Heather Blake

Recently added byamanaceerdh, beanwarrow, private library, karyanca, mysteriouspa, divadianne1, iMaikku

As much as I tried I just couldn't like this book. Not one I could get into, not my style. ( )
  KimberlyGScott | Jan 24, 2014 |
Recently divorced Darcy Merriweather and her younger sister Harper have just moved to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, after the death of their father. Their Aunt Ve let them in on a little family secret - they're both Wishcrafters. They inherited the power to grant wishes from their mother who died many years ago, but their father didn't want them practicing witchcraft while he was alive. Now Darcy and Harper are living with Aunt Ve in the Enchanted Village, learning about their heritage and new found powers.

A town meeting is called to address the theft problem in the village. There's a pickpocket on the loose, and business owners are concerned the crime spree will scare away the tourists. At the meeting, Darcy is introduced to several town residents, both magical and mortal (though she's not sure who's a crafter and who's not). She also meets the very handsome and charming Nick Sawyer, a former military man and police officer hired to catch the thief.

The meeting takes an ugly turn when a wannabe witch is murdered in the alley behind the bookstore, and Aunt Ve's boyfriend Sylar is found hovering over the body. Sylar is arrested, though the evidence against him is weak, and of course, Aunt Ve is distraught.

Darcy can't believe that her aunt's kind and lovable beau is a killer, so she does some investigating of her own. She finds out that the victim had more enemies than you could shake a wand at, and the town is full of juicy secrets.

What I loved:

The setting: I loved the Enchanted Village with its many magical-themed shops. The town had a very cozy feel - it's a place I'd love to visit.

The intriguing characters: The book had a large cast of characters, but each of them was unique and easy to remember. I liked how the village was home to many different types of crafters and familiars, all with different kinds of magical talents.

The well-constructed mystery: This was not an easy one to figure out (which I love). There were plenty of possible suspects and plot twists to keep me guessing. Darcy was a very clever sleuth!

The budding romance: I love cozy mysteries with a hint of romance, and Darcy & Nick's is setting up to be a good one, though they have some obstacles to overcome first.

The fantastic twist revealed on the last page: Read it and find out what it is. ;-)

What I didn't love:

The magical secrets: For some reason, Aunt Ve wouldn't share a lot of info regarding the craft with Darcy and Harper. A lot of stuff they had to figure out on their own, which didn't make sense. Aunt Ve should be teaching them not keeping them in the dark.

Overall, this book was a captivating beginning to the Wishcraft Mystery series, and I can't wait to read more! ( )
  bookofsecrets | Jan 31, 2013 |
Currently reading
  Jerreece | Dec 28, 2012 |
Originally posted on my blog: http://book-spark.blogspot.com/2012/01/book-tour-review-it-takes-witch.html

Review: An enchanting beginning to a fun, cute series! When sisters Darcy and Harper are told that they are witches (Wishcrafters to be exact), their world is turned upside down – and they are slightly relieved. Darcy is still recovering from a brutal divorce and Harper has just been released from jail (her attempts at activism tend to get her in trouble).

They arrive into the quaint little town of Enchanted Village that seems harmless on the outside. They’ve only been here two weeks when the sudden murder of Alexandra Shively rocks the town. Even more, the girls’ aunt’s sweetheart is accused when he is found leaning over the body. Everyone is convinced he’s as dangerous as a big teddy bear-couldn’t hurt a fly. Or is he so harmless?

With her sister Harper falling for the bookstore owner and her aunt beside herself with worry, it’s up to Darcy to solve this mystery. And the hot private detective on the case she somehow keeps bumping into isn’t such a bad incentive either…

I loved the intimate atmosphere of the book and its setting. What a fun place to live in! The former location of the Salem Witch Trials, witchcraft is widely practiced but is hidden under the guise of commercialism for tourists. How cool would it be to live in a place where everyone knows each other and the Crafters run charming stores. The Wishcrafters run As You Wish, where you can order just about any job done. The Bakecrafter runs Gingerbread Shack filled with delectable sweets and you-can’t-stop-after-one mini-treats. The Curecrafter is a highly recommended doctor. The Cloakcrafter has awesome dresses. And the tourists don’t have a clue about the magic. It’s the perfect haven.

And the characters are what make it such a cool place. It’s a little difficult to keep them straight – there are a LOT of characters and you’re introduced to many in the first chapter which was hard to keep up, but once you start to get to know them, they’re easy to like. I love how they are all so accepting. Starla starts making plans to go jogging together after one conversation with Darcy. Darcy is so worried she goes to check up on Evan a day after she meets him (he’s not the love interest, don’t worry!) They’re all just so sweet!

The romance was just okay. I can’t explain it but it wasn’t the kind of couple you would find yourself rooting for. The book provided plenty of twists and nice page-turning mystery, but there was always this underlying “happy” atmosphere (hence the cozy in cozy mystery)that most reminded me of the show Hart of Dixie (yes, I watch that sometimes ;) ( )
  anaavu | Jul 10, 2012 |
Darcy and her sister, Harper, have just learned that they are WishCrafters. That means that they can grant the wishes of others, actually, they have to grant them as long as they are not malicious. This can come in handy, in the business they are involved in with their aunt, Ve. In this business they help find things for people or provide serves to help people out. Generally, this is non-magical help, but every now and then... In this town of witches and mortals, Darcy is still trying to figure out who is what. She is also becoming more and more involved in the lives of the townsfolk, magical and not. When the owner of the local lotions an potions shop, turns up dead, accusations fall close to home and Darcy is out to solve the mystery.

I enjoyed this mystery. It is the first in the series so it suffers a bit from first book syndrome. All the characters and the town have to introduced. We have to get the backstory on Darcy and others. And being paranormal, there is world building involved. This slows the book a bit, but not so much that I did not enjoy the story. The mystery is pretty good. I really liked Darcy and some of the other characters. The romance is fun so far. I will definitely be reading the second book in the series. ( )
  TheLibraryhag | May 14, 2012 |
This one is for Jessica Faust. Thank you for everything.
Usually I'm not in the habit of tiptoeing through strange houses under the cover of darkness.

Darcy Merriweather and her sister, Harper, hail from a long line of witches who have the power to grant wishes using spells. They've come to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, but they soon find themselves knee-deep in murder...
Until three weeks ago, Darcy and Harper were working dead-end jobs and trying to put their troubles behind them. Then their aunt Velma delivered a bombshell: They're actually Wishcrafters - witches with the power to grant wishes with a mere spell. Wanting a fresh start, they head to their aunt's magic-themed tourist town to master their newfound skills.
But their magic fails them when a wannabe witch turns up dead - strangled with Aunt Ve's scarf - and Ve's sweetheart, Sylar, is found looming over the body. Ve is standing by her man, but Darcy overheard Sylar wish that the victim would disappear - forever. With Harper distracted by her handsome new crush, Darcy is determined to sleuth her way to the truth. But it'll take more than a wish to unravel this mystery...

When a wannabe witch turns up dead, witch sisters Darcy and Harper Merriweather, who have the power to grant wishes and have come to Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, find themselves trying to find the murderer.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,503,027 books! | Top bar: Always visible