It Takes a Witch: A Wishcraft Mystery by…

It Takes a Witch: A Wishcraft Mystery (edition 2012)

by Heather Blake

2382048,487 (3.97)12
Member:Jerreece
Title:It Takes a Witch: A Wishcraft Mystery
Authors:Heather Blake
Info:Signet (2012), Edition: Original, Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

It Takes A Witch by Heather Blake

English (19)  Piratical (1)  English (20)
Cute little fun book to read. I enjoyed it a lot and can't wait to read the other ones in the series. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
This book was incredibly cute/fun/light. Perfect if you're in the mood for a cozy or something amusing. It takes the witch theme and does something completely different with it. Rather than just the urban characters, the entire small town, 'Enchanted Village', is charming. Special touches are even added to each business name such as Spellbound books. People who are into a lot of magic and different elements surrounding that may be disappointed, though. To me the witch style is a bit weak that the main character possesses. In this world there are different types of crafters.

It rocks humor without having to try hard and the characters are likeable. The heroine Darcy has some realistic hangups and flaws, while the love interest of the story, Nick, is serious and yummy. From charming to chuckle-inducing, it's the entire town and their interactions which really makes the book have a sparkle.

Who the murderer is was a surprise to a degree (I guessed it before it was revealed, but only at the end), and the clues and lead-up are good for mystery buffs searching for a puzzle worth solving. As is usual with cozies, the violence level isn't high, gore not there in any way (unless you count disgusting, suspicious rashes!) Pacing is evenly applied, and the writing style holds its own charm.

I do have to wonder if this is an error though and if the writer meant homemade soap, not candles:

"..just about drove Troy nuts when he came home to find the hall mirror suddenly turned into mosaic of the house stinking of lye because I'd try to make homemade candles.."

It was a nice surprise for the emphasis in reading and love of books to be heavy. The heroine's sister, Harper, another fun quirky type, emphasizes throughout the novel how much she loves books. Found this part particularly cute:

"He does manage the bookstore, which is currently my favorite place on earth." Her eyes glazed over. "All those books. If I married him, I could probably work there the rest of my life. Nothing would make me happier."

"What about love?" Ve asked.

"Oh," Harper said solemnly. "I love books."

Overall I'm itching for more of this series and will definitely continue it. It's not the best magic/witch book I've read, but it's charm makes an incredible cozy mystery. ( )
  ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Enjoyed this quite a bit, enough so, I'd want to continue the series. I listened to the audiobook and the narrator, Coleen Marlo, was really good. It has an interesting take on witches. A quick, fun, and light read with great characters. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
What a fun story! We begin in Salem, Mass (appropriately) where Darcy and Harper have just moved in with their aunt Ve. Their parents are both deceased and they have just learned that they are wishcrafters, witches who can grant wishes as long as the intentions are true. They discover that there are many types of witches in the enchanted village but that it is quite difficult to tell who is a witch and who is a mortal. There are also a lot of rules and Darcy, our main character, is having some trouble following them, which leads to some humorous moments in the story. Darcy is warm hearted and wants to help everyone. She tries to make good decisions but her emotions often get the best of her. These humorous imperfections are what makes Darcy so likable throughout the story. In fact, all of the characters are likable and interesting and this is what made the story so readable. Even the dog, Missy (short for Miss Demeanor) brings additional fun to this book with her great devious escapes.

One of the characters, a mortal who wants to be a witch, is murdered at that start of the story. As Darcy begins getting involved in the investigation, she meets Nick, the man she doesn't want to like who is also investigating the murder. Their chemistry was charming and it was funny how Darcy always tried to talk herself down during their encounters. Their relationship however, was not the focus of the story so I'm hoping it will be revisited in the future. I was glad of this because I felt that the author really gave me time to get to know the characters and truly appreciate them before jumping into anything.

The suspects and motives were abundant, which was a plus because I wasn't able to predict exactly who the culprit was until the end was near. My many hunches were consistently changing. I was satisfied with the ending. It closed up this book/mystery nicely but also left plenty of room for more books in the series. I already picked up the next book and can't wait to get started!

What I didn't realize was that Heather Blake is also Heather Webber, who wrote the Lucy Valentine series, which is equally entertaining. If you want to learn more about these enjoyable cozy mysteries, visit Heather's website at www.heatherwebber.com or www.heatherblakebooks.com. ( )
  Lagnella | Mar 4, 2016 |
The heroine of this light and airy mystery is a woman who recently learned that she has the ability to grant other people's wishes. I found the first half of this very hard to get into, because there were far too many characters, plot threads, and infodumping. The author seemed to be overdoing the world-building by throwing everything out there all at once, and over-explaining it all. But by the time I hit the halfway point, I was drawn in to the story. As a mystery it didn't have much substance, and some of the magic rules didn't make a lot of sense, but the characters were interesting, and very likeable. Even the people who did bad things were given some good traits. ( )
  SylviaC | Dec 23, 2015 |
This one is for Jessica Faust. Thank you for everything.
Usually I'm not in the habit of tiptoeing through strange houses under the cover of darkness.

Darcy Merriweather and her sister, Harper, hail from a long line of witches who have the power to grant wishes using spells. They've come to Enchanted Village in Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, but they soon find themselves knee-deep in murder...
Until three weeks ago, Darcy and Harper were working dead-end jobs and trying to put their troubles behind them. Then their aunt Velma delivered a bombshell: They're actually Wishcrafters - witches with the power to grant wishes with a mere spell. Wanting a fresh start, they head to their aunt's magic-themed tourist town to master their newfound skills.
But their magic fails them when a wannabe witch turns up dead - strangled with Aunt Ve's scarf - and Ve's sweetheart, Sylar, is found looming over the body. Ve is standing by her man, but Darcy overheard Sylar wish that the victim would disappear - forever. With Harper distracted by her handsome new crush, Darcy is determined to sleuth her way to the truth. But it'll take more than a wish to unravel this mystery...

When a wannabe witch turns up dead, witch sisters Darcy and Harper Merriweather, who have the power to grant wishes and have come to Salem, Massachusetts, to join the family business, find themselves trying to find the murderer.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,728,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible