A Good Yarn (The Knitting Books #2) by…

A Good Yarn (The Knitting Books #2) (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Debbie Macomber

Member:passionforthepage
Title:A Good Yarn (The Knitting Books #2)
Authors:Debbie Macomber
Info:Mira (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Tags:knitting series, women's fiction, friendship

A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber (2005)

Recently added byprivate library, K-Meyer, ChrisiBo, dbeougher, jastith, MommyMiaHSC, Babybirdie, VOTGLibrary, COMOWSG

Didn't enjoy this book quite as much as the first one but still enjoyable. Looking forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  soosthemoose | Oct 9, 2017 |
Joyce Bean
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
I am really enjoying this series! Full of knitting and delightful characters! I usually do not keep up with series but this one still has my interest and I am looking forward to the next book. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
When we last left Lydia Hoffman, she had just opened her knitting shop - A Good Yarn - on Blossom Street in downtown Seattle. This was her way of celebrating her cancer remission and she offered various knitting classes to those who wanted to learn such a skill. Well, in the year since A Good Yarn first opened, the little shop has thrived - and so has Lydia. This is due in no small part to Lydia's deep friendships with her first three students - Jacqueline Donovan, Carol Girard and Alix Townsend - and her close relationship with Brad Goetz.

But when Brad's ex-wife suddenly reappears in his life, Lydia is not really sure what to do. She only knows that she loves Brad's son, Cody, very much and that she's beginning to fall in love with his father as well. Lydia is suddenly terribly afraid and unable to fully trust her new found happiness.

Elise Beaumont, a retired librarian, joins one of Lydia's popular knitting classes. Since losing her life savings, Elise has been living with her daughter, Aurora - the only positive legacy from her brief but tumultuous marriage to professional gambler, Marvin 'Maverick' Beaumont. Now she learns that her onetime husband plans to visit, and that Aurora wants a relationship with her father, regardless of Elise's feelings about him or the present situation.

Bethanne Hamlin, like Elise, is facing the fallout from a divorce. However her husband, Grant, left her for another woman - not a deck of cards - and she's still struggling to rebuild and completely reshape her life. She joins the knitting class at her children's urging; determined that this will be her first step in her effort to recover a sense of dignity and hope. Then Bethanne starts her own small business and also meets a man with whom she has something remarkably surprising in common!

Courtney Pulanski is a seriously depressed and overweight teenager. Since her mother's death, she has been staying with her grandmother Vera. Vera is doing her best, trying to help Courtney...help that takes the form of dragging her reluctant granddaughter around to swimming sessions at the local Seniors' Center - and to the knitting class at A Good Yarn. Like so many women, these four find companionship and comfort with each other and in the age-old craft of knitting. Who knew that knitting socks could completely change someone's life?

I must say that I certainly enjoyed reading this book; the story was well-written and very poignant and sentimental. However, while the story was very good, and I'm glad to have read it; I will say that it was just the slightest bit too sugary sweet for my taste. I give A Good Yarn by Debbie Macomber an A! I will definitely read more books in the Blossom Street Series - or perhaps another book by Debbie Macomber - at some point in the future, but I think that I will wait for a while. ( )
  moonshineandrosefire | Oct 2, 2014 |
3.75 stars

Lydia runs a knitting shop in Seattle and has decided to start a class. Three people sign up. Elise is retired and dealing with a class action lawsuit to get back some of the money she paid for a house; in the meantime, she is living with her daughter and her family. Courtney is a teenager and has moved in with her grandmother for her senior year of high school; she knows no one and wants to lose weight before school starts in the fall. Bethanne has just discovered her husband has been cheating for two years and he is leaving her with her two teenage children to raise on her own; she has no idea how to support herself, as she hasn't worked outside the home in almost 20 years.

I quite enjoyed this! I read the first in the series a number of years ago, and probably never knew that it was a series and had forgotten about it. I liked the women and was interested to see where things would lead for them (though I have to admit I wasn't necessarily happy with the ending of the book for a couple of them). It was a nice, light read. As an aside, a couple of the main characters from the first book were very minor characters in this one, too. I likely will continue the series. ( )
  LibraryCin | May 5, 2014 |

Debbie Macomberprimary authorall editionscalculated
Emond, LindaReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kiliçkaya, SemaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schuitemaker, KarinTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suhr, ConstanzeÜbersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778322955, Mass Market Paperback)

Pleas join me at A Good Yarn! It's a wonderful little knitting shop in downtown Seattle -- a place of welcome and warmth, of friends old and new. Come and discover how knitting a pair of socks can change your life!
Debbie Macomber

Lydia Hoffman owns the shop on Blossom Street. In the year since it opened, A Good Yarn has thrived -- and so has Lydia. A lot of that is due to Brad Goetz. But when Brad's ex-wife reappears, Lydia is suddenly afraid to trust her newfound happiness.

Three women join Lydia's newest class. Elisa Beaumont, retired and bitterly divorced, learns that her onetime husband is reentering her life. Bethanne Hamlin is facing the fallout from a much more recent divorce. And Courtney Pulanski is a depressed and overweight teenager, whose grandmother's idea of helping her is to drag her to seniors' swim sessions -- and to the knitting class at A Good Yarn.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:48 -0400)

The highly anticipated sequel to "The Shop on Blossom Street." Once again, a disparate group of women find friendship and comfort as they learn the age-old craft of knitting.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,475,423 books! | Top bar: Always visible