Philosophy and Social Hope by Richard Rorty

Philosophy and Social Hope

by Richard Rorty

A book that I think had a lot to do with shaping my ideas about ideas… what they can and can’t do, where they can be dangerous, and what hopes there are for harnessing them to make human life markedly better. ( )
  jddunn | Nov 13, 2010 |
This is one of the more inspiring books in my collection (except I do not believe in the spirit--I do believe in the spirit of this book, but not the spirit, per se). But it does encourage me in several areas: Politics, Ethics, Patriotism. Despite the fact it does sound some serious warnings in the latter essays--about the difficulties of maintaining liberal democracy in the future. ( )
  Darrol | Sep 30, 2009 |
I didn't agree with 75% of what Rorty said, but he brings up a lot of subjects that need be brought up. Also, the thing that I love about Rorty that is his call to the Left to focus on national politics and hope. This brings to my mind two things. First, activists often focus on what needs to be changed. Inequalities in America, etc. These of course need to be corrected. Rorty asks reminds us that America should be a Nation of Hope as well. Secondly, he says that the academics need to join with the unions and work together to achieve this hope. Rorty also talks about many other things since this book is mainly a collection of his essays, but this is what he is struck me. ( )
  aevaughn | Jun 11, 2009 |
An absolutely fantastic book... ( )
  petergiger | Apr 26, 2007 |
This is definitly one of my favorit books. ( )
  petergiger | Apr 26, 2007 |

Since Plato most philosophy has aimed at true knowledge, penetrating beneath appearances to an underlying reality. Against this tradition, Richard Rorty convincingly argues, pragmatism offers a new philosophy of hope. One of the most controversial figures in recent philosophical and wider literary and cultural debate, Rorty brings together an original collection of his most recent philosophical and cultural writings. He explains in a fascinating memoir how he began to move away from Plato towards William James and Dewey, culminating in his own version of pragmatism. What ultimately matters, Rorty suggests, is not whether our ideas correspond to some fundamental reality but whether they help us carry out practical tasks and create a fairer and more democratic society.

Aimed at a general audience, this volume offers a stimulating summary of Rorty's central philosophical beliefs, as well as some challenging insights into contemporary culture, justice, education, and love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:45 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,391,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible