Airtight Case by Beverly Connor

Some serious in Media Res going on at the beginning of this book. But other than that this fifth book in the Lindsey Chamberlain series is much like the previous books. Especially the fact that Chamberlain just can't seem to stay out of trouble.

This time she's on a regular dig site on 'vacation' after the trials she gives testimony for in the first part of the book. (No Atlantic Ocean or massive cofferdam). There's a couple of interesting archaeology mysteries as well as the main present day mystery. The characters at the dig site are quite the characters too. That's one of Beverly Connor's real strengths, the crazy uniqueness to every character main or secondary.

Another strength is the explanations of various historical, anthropological, and archaeological things. I think I've learned more about archaeology from Beverly Connor's books than I thought possible. She also writes it in a way that is easy to read, fits in with the story, and yet the reader's still getting taught and just may not know it. Crafty and sneaky, and it makes the novels so multi-layered. ( )
  DanieXJ | Nov 25, 2013 |
This is the fifth and final book in the Lindsay Chamberlain series. I am sorry to come to the end of this very intriguing series. I love the mix of complex murder with facts about archeology and the cutting edge stuff that is occuring in this field. Lindsay is a wonderful creation. She's human with human foibles. This book begins with Lindsay running for her life in the middle of an amnesiac attack. What happened to put her in this state keeps resurfacing as her memory recovers, and she realizes that the nightmare is not over. There is a very intriguing ancient mystery (late 1700's) that comes up at the dig. Lindsay and her archeological crew are at a late 1700 farmstead dig in Tennessee. There are a lot of characters in the book and it's difficult to keep them all straight at times. But the mystery and the motives behind it are absolutely wonderful! I am not sure why Ms. Connor has left Lindsay to pursue another mystery series. I know that I will miss her now that I've read this one. I won't be beginning Ms. Connor's other series, but I would certainly read more Lindsay Chamberlain if there were any. ( )
  Romonko | Mar 22, 2009 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

The sun shining through the window onto the mirror made her reflection faint and ghostly.

After an attack that leaves Lindsay with some amnesia, she travels to the edge of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to join a dig that's troubled by argumentative crew members, a director who doesn't like Lindsay, suspicions regarding the murder of a local resident, and lodgings in a haunted house.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,471,073 books! | Top bar: Always visible