The coming of the whirlpool by Andrew…

The coming of the whirlpool (edition 2011)

by Andrew McGahan

Member:SeymourLib
Title:The coming of the whirlpool
Authors:Andrew McGahan
Info:Crows Nest, N.S.W. : A & U Children, 2011, 2012.
Tags:Older Readers, CBCA

The coming of the whirlpool by Andrew McGahan

Volume 1 in The Ship Kings series. Great fantasy novel set around boats and sailing. If you love the sea you will love this book. ( )
  Brindle | Sep 15, 2012 |
Andrew McGahan is a well respected Australian author with a number of excellent adult books to his credit. (I believe they're excellent, I own a number of them, but I am yet to read any of them, including his Miles Franklin Award winning [The White Earth]. There's probably a special circle of Hell for people who hoard books and, if so, a special area just for me in it.) This is his first foray into young adult literature, a story of a young man destined to be a woodcutter, until one fateful day he sees a ship out to sea and knows that he can never be happy again chopping down trees.

This was a good adventure story, it went places I wasn't expecting and, even though it's nominally young adult, it came across as a very intelligent and grown-up book with a decent level of complexity. Towards the beginning I was a bit grumpy with it, I must admit, because it seemed that McGahan fell into a trap of making his society annoyingly patriarchal because that's what medieval style societies were. (A note to fantasy writers who can't quite get over that trap: it's a fantasy, you can make it whatever you like, you don't have to stick with some outmoded idea of what a fantasy society should be.)

However I should have trusted the author, that wasn't what he was doing at all. Overall, a very good read. ( )
  wookiebender | Jul 11, 2012 |

'If you go to sea, you will come to the attention of the Ship Kings. And if they discover who you are, they will kill you.' Young Dow Amber is no sailor. But driven by a strange sea-longing he ventures down to the great grim bay known as the Claw. He hopes to learn there of seafaring, but he finds only a fearful people who scarcely dare sail at all, for they have been cursed by a monstrous whirlpool that haunts the bay, stealing away their sons. Then the rulers of all the world - the proud and cruel Ship Kings - arrive in the Claw. Dow is fascinated by their fine tall vessels, and even more so by a mysterious girl who lives aboard their flagship. It is a perilous attraction to be sure, but could it be that his future somehow lies with the Ship Kings? Or will he be called upon to descend to his death, when the terrible whirlpool rises once more?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,979,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible