Play, Mozart, Play! by Peter Sis

Play, Mozart, Play!

by Peter Sis

This could be used as an independent reading.
  jeffreydean | Feb 5, 2017 |
I believe the book’s intention was to give the reader a small glimpse into Mozart’s life as a child virtuoso and show his creativity. I found the book a bit sad. Mozart’s father is portrayed as a dark large figure looming over small Mozart. The illustrations are what really told the story. The child was not allowed to play with other children because of the power his father had over him. Mozart had to play. He was so isolated that his imagination ran wild and he discovered his own definition of “play” apart from what his father demanded of him. Through his constant practicing and playing in his wild imagination he made amazing music that is still beloved today. But, does the end justify the means? ( )
  TiffanyA | Feb 4, 2016 |
This charming book about Mozart's early life has very interesting illustrations. I was interested to see this book qualify as nonfiction, due to the personification throughout the book. To me, this is the manifestation of Mozart's young imagination, which my children enjoyed. Pre-kindergarteners typically do not know who Mozart is, but they were interestingly engaged.
I found this book to be great because of the other message it sends: adults are always telling, children are always listening. In one of the pictures, Mozart's father is telling his to practice, practice, practice; the father is depicted as a large shadow silhouette while Mozart is drawn very small, stuck behind a piano. A few pages later, Mozart is supposed to be practicing piano in his room, and when his father yells to check on him, Mozart is drawn distracted, playing with toys in his room. I could be wrong, but this to me seemed like the author's way of showing Mozart for what he was when he wrote his first works: a child. I liked this book for a discussion about hard work, and how sometimes people have to work their whole lives to create something great.
  mdhoward | May 4, 2015 |
This book is a brief description of Mozart's life and musical career since he was very little. He and his sister were considered child prodigies because of their musical talent. Mozart composed many pieces of music and he is known for his incredible job. This book is a short biography that can help children learn about the life of one of the greatest musicians of all time. ( )
  cvarela | Oct 10, 2014 |
A long time ago Mozart was a famous pianist from the time he was just a little boy. His father made sure that he was constantly practicing, which hindered Mozart’s opportunities to make friends. Despite this Mozart loved making music. Even today, people still listen to Mozart’s masterpieces. This biography is awesome. It is definitely the best I have read yet for K-3 because it is a simple introduction to the huge concept of Mozart’s life and music. The illustrations are bright and very kid friendly. The format of the book is fun because the text is wrapped in different ways and it appears in various areas of the pages as opposed to a typical paragraph. I would love to read this book to students to introduce them to famous composers in a thematic unit. After reading I could play one of Mozart’s pieces and then we could discuss it. This book does not share much more than Mozart was a fantastic musician his entire life and is still known for it, but this is definitely appropriate for kindergarten. ( )
  amoore1 | Oct 30, 2012 |

Listen.

A little boy named

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

is playing the piano.

Look.

He is playing backward!

He is playing blindfolded!

Imagine.

What must his life be like?

Play, Mozart, play!

Acclaimed artist Peter Sís introduces very young children to the child genius Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in this picture book tribute to the beauty of listening, looking, imagining, and -- most of all -- playing!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:52 -0400)

Introduces very young children to the child prodigy, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, in a tribute to the beauty of listening, looking, imagining, and, above all, playing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,371,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible