No One is Here Except All of Us by Ramona…

No One is Here Except All of Us (edition 2012)

by Ramona Ausubel

Member:lclc2u
Title:No One is Here Except All of Us
Authors:Ramona Ausubel
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2012), Hardcover, 336 pages

No One Is Here Except All of Us by Ramona Ausubel

This book leaves me in a quandary. I understand and accept the decision of the small village of Jewish people who try to avoid being part of the atrocities of World War II by starting a "new and hidden world". They are already somewhat hidden due to the fact that they live on a peninsula. I also see how that decision will not work as planned. But some of the other situations that occur are hard to comprehend. At the same time these unusual happenings really made me ponder life situations. If that was the intention of the author, she did succeed. All in all, this is an interesting, if not unusual read. ( )
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Interesting story/fable. beautifully written, while also frustrating and at times infuriating. The first half struck me as almost whimsical, lyrical,dream-like, the second half was more realistic and disturbing. 5/6 of the way thru I was very angry at the author and her characters, but by the end I felt she won me back by bringing the story to a more optimistic but not fairy-tale conclusion. ( )
  Rdra1962 | Aug 1, 2018 |
With the events of WWII closing in around them, a Jewish village in Romania decides to cut themselves off from the rest of the world and create a brand new world for themselves. Ignoring the damage this could do to their children in the future, of course.

The book annoyed me, though I appreciated the amazing storytelling and writing style. However, the narrator, Lena, was so incredibly PASSIVE and lackluster that it was really hard to have sympathy for her. And if any character deserves sympathy, it would have been she. She just let things happen to her, without fighting for control. It was irritating.

I had all around mixed feelings about this book-great story, annoying characters. And the mixture of 1st and 3rd person narrative was...well, intriguing. I think it was more effective as I was listening to the book as opposed to reading it. Though I'm not quite sure how Lena was able to write the stories of people she never saw again... ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
With World War II looming, a small, Jewish town, the townspeople decide to start the world over, to exclude the horrors of the outside world, and to protect each other. Time slips away from Lena, the young child who suggested this idea, as the new world progresses, as she's given to a new family and her identity is reshaped again and again. And though they try to start over, the outside world has a way of creeping in, and they cannot escape the harshness of reality.

No One is Here Except All of Us is a beautifully written book, with a dreamlike quality that easily allows the narrative to jump between characters and allows the reader to trust in the story, even in the most unlikely scenes. I found the first part, which documents the first seven days of the new world, especially captivating, as the townspeople decide what knowledge they can hold onto, and what they have to rebuild. However, as I continued reading, as reality found its way back into the town, I found the pace to slow down and my interest to wane. I do recommend it for the beautiful language and poignancy that is imbued throughout. Though I was not as enthralled with the book by the end, I am glad I read it. ( )
  AbbeGoldberg | Aug 3, 2016 |
Amazing, gorgeously written novel--unusual, allegorical (but what allegory?), timeless and yet firmly anchored in 1939-45. This is the kind of literary feast that people tell me about and I hesitate to read, thinking it will take me forever to get through, but I could hardly be persuaded to put this book down. Just beautiful.
  ccaterer | Oct 21, 2015 |
"Debut novelist Ausubel has written a riveting, otherworldly story about an all-too-real war and the transformative power of community. Recommended."
added by Christa_Josh | editLibrary Journal, Joy Humphrey (Nov 1, 2011)

To my grandmothers, Anne and Alice,
who told me their stories and left enough room
for me to imagine my way inside

In 1939, the families in a remote Jewish village in Romania feel the war close in on them. Their tribe has moved and escaped for thousands of years- across oceans, deserts, and mountains-but now, it seems, there is nowhere else to go. Danger is imminent in every direction, yet the territory of imagination and belief is limitless. At the suggestion of an eleven-year-old girl and a mysterious stranger who has washed up on the riverbank, the villagers decide to reinvent the world: deny any relationship with the known and start over from scratch. Destiny is unwritten. Time and history are forgotten. Jobs, husbands, a child, are reassigned. And for years, there is boundless hope. But the real world continues to unfold alongside the imagined one, eventually overtaking it, and soon our narrator-the girl, grown into a young mother-must flee her village, move from one world to the next, to find her husband and save her children, and propel them toward a real and hopeful future. A beguiling, imaginative, inspiring story about the bigness of being alive as an individual, as a member of a tribe, and as a participant in history, No One Is Here Except All Of Us explores how we use storytelling to survive and shape our own truths. It marks the arrival of a major new literary talent.

In 1939, the families in a remote Jewish village in Romania feel the war close in on them. Danger is imminent in every direction, yet the territory of imagination and belief is limitless. At the suggestion of an eleven-year-old girl and a mysterious stranger who has washed up on the riverbank, the villagers decide to reinvent the world: deny any relationship with the known and start over from scratch. Destiny is unwritten. Time and history are forgotten. Jobs, husbands, a child, are reassigned. And for years, there is boundless hope. But the real world continues to unfold alongside the imagined one, eventually overtaking it.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ramona Ausubel's book No One Is Here Except All Of Us was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,457,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible