My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My Life Next Door (edition 2012)

by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Member:upinthestacks
Title:My Life Next Door
Authors:Huntley Fitzpatrick
Info:Dial (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:2012, fiction, borrowed, young adult

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

I can't believe that I have waited nearly a month to review this book! For some reason, I just have not felt compelled to put my feelings about this book into words as of yet....maybe because I don't have a lot of feelings about this book. I expected it to be great. Everyone seems to love this book so I expected that I would love it just as much. I was very wrong. I didn't hate it but it was nothing special in my book. In fact, I would have most likely given the book a lower rating except I kind of enjoyed the last section of the story.

I make no secret of the fact that I am most certainly NOT a teenager. In fact, I am the mother of a teenager (not to mention my older child that has already passed up her teenage years). Let's just say that I am kind of old. This is a book for teenagers. I read a lot of books for teenagers and love talking about them with my daughter but sometimes I just cannot relate. This is one of those times.

The basic story is about a perfect little teenager girl, Samantha, who lives with her kind of crazy politician mother. Her mom is running for re-election so it is really important that everything remain perfect down to the perfect lines in the carpet after vacuuming (Do people actually worry about this stuff??? I am doing good just to turn the thing on and suck up the dog hair all over the floor.) Samantha has always spent a lot of time watching the family next door.

Jase lives next door with his family, who happen to everything Samantha's family is not. They are loud, loving, and exciting and there are a lot of them. Jase is one of 8 kids in his family. Jase's family kind of took over the story at points. When Jase and Samantha start hanging out, they end up spending most of their time together at Jase's house. Eventually Samantha is pulled in enough to become a regular babysitter for the family.

My daughter thought Jase was dreamy. I can't say that I share her opinion. Of course, old ladies are not supposed to think that teenage boys are dreamy. That is a rule. I actually found most of the book to be boring. Since I wasn't spending my time drooling over Jase, I wanted something to happen in the story. Nothing did for most of the book. I had to wait until the last 25% of the book for anything interesting to happen. Not cool.

This book wasn't horrible. I didn't hate it and I thought it had some good points. I liked Tim a lot. He was interesting but that was because he was intoxicated for a large portion of the book and spoke without a filter most of the time. Samantha and Jase were okay main characters. The last 25% of the book were rather exciting. The book was easy to read and I like the flow of the novel. This is the first book by Huntley Fitzpatrick that I have read and I plan to read other book in the future. I actually already have the next book in this series ready to go, but only because the main character is Tim. I like Tim a lot so I am hopeful that his book will work for me a little better. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Aug 29, 2015 |
This review, along with others, can be seen on Cristina's Book Reviews.

I got the hype, you guys! I totally got the hype!

My Life Next Door was such an amazing contemporary! I couldn’t help buy eat it up as soon as I started reading it! This book was all kinds of cute, and it was about so much more than the romance!

So this book is about Samantha Reed, the girl with the supposed perfect family. She lives next door to the Garretts, who according to Sam’s mom are not perfect. However one day Jase Garrett climbs up Samantha’s balcony and irrevocably enters her life.

If there’s something I loved about this book, it was the Garretts. They were such an amazing family! It made me long for a big, messy, and loud family like them. Their dynamics were so adorable because they all helped each other out and supported each other, like a real family. Also, no matter how big the family was, each character had their own distinctive voice. I especially loved George! I want a George as my brother, lol.
“Is Jase already gonna marry you?”
I start coughing again. “Uh, No. No, George. I’m only seventeen.” As if that’s the only reason we’re not engaged.
“I’m this many.” George holds up four, slightly grubby fingers. “But Jase is seventeen and a half. You could. Then you could live in here with him. And have a big family.”

Sam was easy enough to get along with. She was very down to earth and I could really relate to her. Her issues were very real and I could feel really strongly the emotions she was.

Jase Garrett is THE BEST YA book boyfriend out there. He’s sweet, he’s kind, and he’s charming. He never had a secret agenda. He was completely adorable and I could totally see why Sam would be interested in him!
“You have to kiss me," I find myself saying.
"Yeah." He leans closer. "I do.”

This book has a lot of twists and turns, and it was so emotionally draining! There were moments where I was laughing, moments where I was fangirling, sad moments, and moments where I wanted to yell out in rage. I think I even cried in one part because I was so enraged at something that happened.

The only reason I didn’t give this book 5 stars was because I was left with a lot of questions at the ending. I’m hoping the sequel will address this, but still I wish it could’ve been addressed here.

Which reminds me, I REALLY CAN’T WAIT FOR THE COMPANION/SEQUEL THE BOY MOST LIKELY TO BECAUSE IT’S ABOUT TIM AND I LOVE TIM!!

Anyways, overall this book is really awesome because it’s a different kind of contemporary that deals with different realistic issues. I loved the family aspect, and the romance was completely adorable and swoon-worthy.
“In movies, it’s never half so lovely as it is here and now with Jase.” ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |

“Is Jase already gonna marry you?”

“You have to kiss me," I find myself saying.
"Yeah." He leans closer. "I do.”

“In movies, it’s never half so lovely as it is here and now with Jase.” ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 18, 2015 |
4.5 stars ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
My Life Next Door is a cute, light summer read. It's about a girl named Samantha who live with her over the top single mother that is running for Senate and Jase, the boy next door who has a lot of siblings. Sam's mother is very judgmental of the Garrett's, Sam sits outside to watch them often while growing up to see the chaotic world they live in with so many people. One day Jase comes up to her while shes outside and they fall in love, she gets more involved with his family while she never introduces him to her friends or mother, when she finally does it's surprising. Then the book takes a weird turn that I found unnecessary. Sam's mom hits and run Jase's father one night with Sam in the car but she's asleep. Sam is unsure if it was her mom when she hears Mr Garrett is hurt, realizes it is, confronts her, threatened not to tell by her mom's boyfrined, breaks up with Jase, tells him, back together, her mom finally confesses and drops out of the Senate race. Okay.

I liked the start of this book because Sam and Jase seem like normal teenagers and their relationship comes off as real. There is nothing supernatural, no drama, no over the top romantic gestures. Just them and their growing relationship over the summer. The real plot through out the beginning of the book is how will Sam's mom react if/when she finds out she's dating Jase, but instead that part is just glossed over and the book goes off in a tangent with the hit and run. I didn't care for that part at all, why can't the book just be about their relationship and her mom's reaction? Or even take it a step further and have Sam get pregnant and Jase takes off like her dad did, that's what I expected to happen. Or at least nothing as dramatic as a hit and run lol. 3.5/5 ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
Of course, to Colette Corry.
The words “best friend” will never say enough.
The Garretts were forbidden from the start.

When Samantha, the seventeen-year-old daugher of a wealthy, perfectionistic, Republican state senator, falls in love with the boy next door, whose family is large, boisterous, and just making ends meet, she discovers a different way to live, but when her mother is involved in a hit-and-run accident Sam must make some difficult choices.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,071,436 books! | Top bar: Always visible