My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My Life Next Door (edition 2012)

by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Member:upinthestacks
Title:My Life Next Door
Authors:Huntley Fitzpatrick
Info:Dial (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:2012, fiction, borrowed, young adult

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

I think the actual rating of this books is 3.7-3.8. While I enjoyed the characters in this book (both protagonists and secondary characters –little George stole my heart), I didn't enjoy the plot as a whole. The first 250 pages where interesting, kept my attention, and I read them fast, wanting to know what happened next.
However, the next 100 pages after that were... Meh. The story lost its power, and when the time of the 'twist' or problem came, it got solved in a too-easy way. If there was something I liked about those first 250 pages, it was how realistic and complete the characters and their actions seemed. They gained life in front of my eyes because they could easily be my neighbors. But that magic, that real-ness got lost in the last 150 pages.
Still, it's a book that made me really happy and that's full of funny and cute quotes and scenes, and I truly enjoyed Fitzpatrick's writing style, so I do recommend it to someone looking for a cute, romance contemporary read with a little bit of more depth than most YA. ( )
  LiindaSnow97 | Aug 26, 2016 |
I have left it so long to review My Life Next Door that I honestly don't think I will give his book enough justice. It's been over two weeks since I finished it!

In all honesty, My Life Next Door if fairly similar to many other YA Contemporaries. Yet at the same time, it is so much more. The story feels extremely realistic. Especially the detail involved in showing just how messy and hectic Jase's family life is. Anyone with siblings or children can relate to this. They're just so normal!

I really liked both Sam and Jase. They are just so cute! And they listen to and respect each other. I also loved the fact that thy take their time with their relationship and don't just rush in. I also feel that I could relate to Sam's need to break away from the mould created by her mum.

Tim was also a character I really loved. He's such an asshole but I loved it. He gives the story a unique angle as it isn't the love interest who is the jerk.

My Life Next Door is told from Samsung perspective. It is at times predictable, but I have sort of come to expect that a bit in Contemporary books. However, it is nicely paced and I sped through the story. The twist near the end is heartbreaking but I thought the story ended nicely and most threads tied up.

I would definitely recommend My Life Next Door to fans of YA Contemporary books. I can definitely see where all the hype comes from. And I can't wait to read The Boy Most Likely To now either.

This review and many more can be found at My Expanding Bookshelf. ( )
  MyExpandingBookshelf | Jun 23, 2016 |
My luck is still holding that I read a very good book after an innocuous or bad one.

SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick centers around a girl named Samantha. Samantha comes from a seemingly perfect family and experiences all the pressures that come with keeping up the charade. When Samantha meets Jase, the boy next door, and his loud and messy family her life is changed for forever. The Garrett family embraces Samantha as one of their own but when it comes down to it Samantha has to decide which family she will chose to protect. I loved My Life Next Store and thought it was a charming and funny book. It has a great storyline and great characters you are sure to fall in love with! My Life Next Door is fast paced and i finished it in a day because i was unable to put in down. I recommend this book to anyone who likes young adult romance novels. ( )
  brookelmartin | Apr 1, 2016 |
This book is so incredibly good. It is the first YA romance that I've read and I am glad that it was because it was one of the bests books that I have read. It's not just about the couple or the main character or the boy's family. All the different aspects of the book are in perfect sync and harmony. The two families are complete and utter polar opposites.The mother hates the other family(the Garret's) and is always talking about how awful they are, despite the fact that she'd never even met them. Let's be honest here guys, if you've read this book, you hate the mother. I really hated the mother, she annoyed the crap out of me, (not to mention her crap southern talking a**hole of a boyfriend.) but in the end her character development was amazing. She admitted that she was wrong and apologized, as well as made up for what she did in some ways. Okay, enough about the mother, onto the main character and her lover boy (Hehe all I think of is Dirty Dancing when I say that). The lead character, Samantha, grows up constantly looking out her window at the Garret's house. She's rich (duh) and she has a seemingly normal life, perfect grades, good job, best friend.... Then she meets Jase Garret, and it makes her whole life different in an amazing and wonderful way. Jase has a family of eight compared to Samantha's family of two (a sister and a mom). They are so different yet so alike and together they are perfect. And guys!!! This YA romance has.....

You can find the rest of this review (along with many more) on the CommonBookSense blog!

http://commonbooksense.blogspot.com/2015/07/my-life-next-door-novel.html ( )
  CommonBookSense | Mar 19, 2016 |
Samantha has spent her whole life in her large home, trying to be the opposite of her older sister and be the perfect daughter for her politician mother. But Samantha can’t help but watch the Garrett’s next door from her window. They are the one thing in the world she is forbade to associate with, per her mother’s instructions.

The Garrett family is loud, and there’s a new one every few years. Toys litter their yard, as do cars. And one night she is seen by Jase Garrett–who proceeds to climb the trellis and knock on her window. And then, seventeen year old Samantha Reed’s life begins. Suddenly, her private school education and country club membership mean little. She begins to realize that the world is larger than her home and her already planned life. And Jase’s kisses make her come alive.
added by gothamgal | editAlwaysReiding, Nicole Reid (Jan 4, 2014)

Of course, to Colette Corry.
The words “best friend” will never say enough.
The Garretts were forbidden from the start.

When Samantha, the seventeen-year-old daugher of a wealthy, perfectionistic, Republican state senator, falls in love with the boy next door, whose family is large, boisterous, and just making ends meet, she discovers a different way to live, but when her mother is involved in a hit-and-run accident Sam must make some difficult choices.… (more)

142 wanted3 pay3 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,411,128 books! | Top bar: Always visible