My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My Life Next Door (edition 2012)

by Huntley Fitzpatrick

6206215,695 (4.03)15
Title:My Life Next Door
Authors:Huntley Fitzpatrick
Info:Dial (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Tags:2012, fiction, borrowed, young adult

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

A huge thank you to Net Galley and Egmont Publishing for the review copy of this novel!

This book has been published for a couple of years, and I had seen many people rave about it, so when it popped up on Net Galley I eagerly requested a copy. This novel is a very easy read, I sped through this in about 2 days, the narrative flows nicely and the plot moves quickly keeping my interest well.
I absolutely loved the first 70% of this novel, I would probably have given the novel 5/5 if it had finished at that point, but the last quarter or so disappointed me. That is around the point where our main couple come across an obstacle that is in the way of their love, stopping them being together. After this point I just didn't really feel that into the story anymore. No spoilers, but the obstacle not only feels contrived and a tad ridiculous, but the way the main characters reacted felt ridiculous and out of character. I could tell that they were only acting that way to allow the plot to continue, if they had acted more in character, the obstacle wouldn't have become an obstacle at all!
However apart from this blip in the characters behaviour, in general I really liked all the characters in this novel. The main character Samantha, whose narrative we hear, and whose perspective we get in the novel was great, she was funny and quick witted. I also liked that she questioned things, including her mother, although I would've liked her to have a bit more spine when standing up to her mother, but overall I thought she was a very likeable main character, and it was easy to root for her throughout the novel.
Samantha's love interest Jase was very likeable too, he's one of the most believable and likeable love interests I've read in a YA Contemporary novel in a long time. He seemed kind and caring, and very amusing. He had that confident swagger about him that made him seem more attractive, but not so confident to appear arrogant. I thought Jase and Samantha made a very cute couple, and I enjoyed all the descriptions about their flirting and their dates but overall I wasn't that invested in whether they got together or not.
I was actually more interested in the minor characters in the novel, Tim for example was probably one of the most interesting, but also realistic depictions of a young adult in this novel. He started off as quite a dislikeable person, but as you learn more about him and his problems you start to feel much more sympathetic towards him. He also changes the most throughout this novel and his character growth was great to read, very believable and well written by the author.
Also I want to give a special shoutout to the character of George, Jase's little brother, who is possibly the cutest child I have ever read about. He was just so adorable, almost everything that he said made me laugh, and he provided a great comedic element in the novel. Maybe we could have another novel featuring George?
Overall I did enjoy this novel, and although I thought parts of the plot were a tad ridiculous, the characters and the easy read made up for it, so I gave it 3.5/5 stars. I just had a look on Goodreads, and apparently there's a companion novel featuring Tim, so I am definitely picking it up soon!
My thanks again to Egmont Publishing and Net Galley! ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
I think the actual rating of this books is 3.7-3.8. While I enjoyed the characters in this book (both protagonists and secondary characters –little George stole my heart), I didn't enjoy the plot as a whole. The first 250 pages where interesting, kept my attention, and I read them fast, wanting to know what happened next.
However, the next 100 pages after that were... Meh. The story lost its power, and when the time of the 'twist' or problem came, it got solved in a too-easy way. If there was something I liked about those first 250 pages, it was how realistic and complete the characters and their actions seemed. They gained life in front of my eyes because they could easily be my neighbors. But that magic, that real-ness got lost in the last 150 pages.
Still, it's a book that made me really happy and that's full of funny and cute quotes and scenes, and I truly enjoyed Fitzpatrick's writing style, so I do recommend it to someone looking for a cute, romance contemporary read with a little bit of more depth than most YA. ( )
  LiindaSnow97 | Aug 26, 2016 |
My luck is still holding that I read a very good book after an innocuous or bad one.

SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick centers around a girl named Samantha. Samantha comes from a seemingly perfect family and experiences all the pressures that come with keeping up the charade. When Samantha meets Jase, the boy next door, and his loud and messy family her life is changed for forever. The Garrett family embraces Samantha as one of their own but when it comes down to it Samantha has to decide which family she will chose to protect. I loved My Life Next Store and thought it was a charming and funny book. It has a great storyline and great characters you are sure to fall in love with! My Life Next Door is fast paced and i finished it in a day because i was unable to put in down. I recommend this book to anyone who likes young adult romance novels. ( )
  brookelmartin | Apr 1, 2016 |
This book is so incredibly good. It is the first YA romance that I've read and I am glad that it was because it was one of the bests books that I have read. It's not just about the couple or the main character or the boy's family. All the different aspects of the book are in perfect sync and harmony. The two families are complete and utter polar opposites.The mother hates the other family(the Garret's) and is always talking about how awful they are, despite the fact that she'd never even met them. Let's be honest here guys, if you've read this book, you hate the mother. I really hated the mother, she annoyed the crap out of me, (not to mention her crap southern talking a**hole of a boyfriend.) but in the end her character development was amazing. She admitted that she was wrong and apologized, as well as made up for what she did in some ways. Okay, enough about the mother, onto the main character and her lover boy (Hehe all I think of is Dirty Dancing when I say that). The lead character, Samantha, grows up constantly looking out her window at the Garret's house. She's rich (duh) and she has a seemingly normal life, perfect grades, good job, best friend.... Then she meets Jase Garret, and it makes her whole life different in an amazing and wonderful way. Jase has a family of eight compared to Samantha's family of two (a sister and a mom). They are so different yet so alike and together they are perfect. And guys!!! This YA romance has.....

You can find the rest of this review (along with many more) on the CommonBookSense blog!

http://commonbooksense.blogspot.com/2015/07/my-life-next-door-novel.html ( )
  CommonBookSense | Mar 19, 2016 |
Samantha has spent her whole life in her large home, trying to be the opposite of her older sister and be the perfect daughter for her politician mother. But Samantha can’t help but watch the Garrett’s next door from her window. They are the one thing in the world she is forbade to associate with, per her mother’s instructions.

The Garrett family is loud, and there’s a new one every few years. Toys litter their yard, as do cars. And one night she is seen by Jase Garrett–who proceeds to climb the trellis and knock on her window. And then, seventeen year old Samantha Reed’s life begins. Suddenly, her private school education and country club membership mean little. She begins to realize that the world is larger than her home and her already planned life. And Jase’s kisses make her come alive.
added by gothamgal | editAlwaysReiding, Nicole Reid (Jan 4, 2014)
Of course, to Colette Corry.
The words “best friend” will never say enough.
The Garretts were forbidden from the start.

When Samantha, the seventeen-year-old daugher of a wealthy, perfectionistic, Republican state senator, falls in love with the boy next door, whose family is large, boisterous, and just making ends meet, she discovers a different way to live, but when her mother is involved in a hit-and-run accident Sam must make some difficult choices.… (more)

142 wanted3 pay3 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,814,033 books! | Top bar: Always visible