My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My Life Next Door (edition 2012)

by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Member:upinthestacks
Title:My Life Next Door
Authors:Huntley Fitzpatrick
Info:Dial (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Rating:**1/2
Tags:2012, fiction, borrowed, young adult

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

I loved this book!! I adored the main characters... I even liked Samantha's mother at the end haha I am amazed that the author was able to develop characters so completely in such a relatively short book. I rooted for them, I cried for them, and I wanted to hit some of them!!! I highly recommend picking this up!! :) ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
To the point: This book was an endearing tale of first love and what its like to stand up for what you believe in.

Review: I’ve been hearing of this book for awhile now and wanted to read it. Finally summer came around and I thought it would be the perfect time to read it. This book was everything I thought it would be and more. It was such a cute and endearing tale. I thought it would just be a cute and simple summer read but I was mistaken, it was much more than that. Samantha Reed comes from a “perfect family” she has money and everything comes easy to her. Her mother is poised and tries to be perfect. This is why she hates the people next door, her neighbors the Garrets. They are everything she is not: loud, messy and disorganized. Mr. and Mrs. Garret have eight children; all her life Samantha has watched them from her rooftop. She always wondered what it would be like to be one of them. Well this summer everything changes; she meets Jase Garret and soon they start a romance. Their relationship is sweet and wonderful. As Samantha explores these new feelings disaster strikes and all too soon she is faced with some tough choices. She finds herself keeping a horrible secret, losing the people she loves and deciding between what is right and wrong.
I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It had me laughing and smiling all the time. I found myself wanting to be part of the Garret family. They way their characters were developed was amazing. It felt like a real family, in fact they reminded me of mine. This story was about everything, not just first love but also friendship and more importantly family. I know I won’t forget these characters any time soon. Especially George!

Favorite Quote: “You have to kiss me," I find myself saying.
"Yeah." He leans closer. "I do.”

miss_booklion | Nov 6, 2016 |
A huge thank you to Net Galley and Egmont Publishing for the review copy of this novel!

This book has been published for a couple of years, and I had seen many people rave about it, so when it popped up on Net Galley I eagerly requested a copy. This novel is a very easy read, I sped through this in about 2 days, the narrative flows nicely and the plot moves quickly keeping my interest well.
I absolutely loved the first 70% of this novel, I would probably have given the novel 5/5 if it had finished at that point, but the last quarter or so disappointed me. That is around the point where our main couple come across an obstacle that is in the way of their love, stopping them being together. After this point I just didn't really feel that into the story anymore. No spoilers, but the obstacle not only feels contrived and a tad ridiculous, but the way the main characters reacted felt ridiculous and out of character. I could tell that they were only acting that way to allow the plot to continue, if they had acted more in character, the obstacle wouldn't have become an obstacle at all!
However apart from this blip in the characters behaviour, in general I really liked all the characters in this novel. The main character Samantha, whose narrative we hear, and whose perspective we get in the novel was great, she was funny and quick witted. I also liked that she questioned things, including her mother, although I would've liked her to have a bit more spine when standing up to her mother, but overall I thought she was a very likeable main character, and it was easy to root for her throughout the novel.
Samantha's love interest Jase was very likeable too, he's one of the most believable and likeable love interests I've read in a YA Contemporary novel in a long time. He seemed kind and caring, and very amusing. He had that confident swagger about him that made him seem more attractive, but not so confident to appear arrogant. I thought Jase and Samantha made a very cute couple, and I enjoyed all the descriptions about their flirting and their dates but overall I wasn't that invested in whether they got together or not.
I was actually more interested in the minor characters in the novel, Tim for example was probably one of the most interesting, but also realistic depictions of a young adult in this novel. He started off as quite a dislikeable person, but as you learn more about him and his problems you start to feel much more sympathetic towards him. He also changes the most throughout this novel and his character growth was great to read, very believable and well written by the author.
Also I want to give a special shoutout to the character of George, Jase's little brother, who is possibly the cutest child I have ever read about. He was just so adorable, almost everything that he said made me laugh, and he provided a great comedic element in the novel. Maybe we could have another novel featuring George?
Overall I did enjoy this novel, and although I thought parts of the plot were a tad ridiculous, the characters and the easy read made up for it, so I gave it 3.5/5 stars. I just had a look on Goodreads, and apparently there's a companion novel featuring Tim, so I am definitely picking it up soon!
My thanks again to Egmont Publishing and Net Galley! ( )
  ACascadeofBooks | Oct 5, 2016 |
I think the actual rating of this books is 3.7-3.8. While I enjoyed the characters in this book (both protagonists and secondary characters –little George stole my heart), I didn't enjoy the plot as a whole. The first 250 pages where interesting, kept my attention, and I read them fast, wanting to know what happened next.
However, the next 100 pages after that were... Meh. The story lost its power, and when the time of the 'twist' or problem came, it got solved in a too-easy way. If there was something I liked about those first 250 pages, it was how realistic and complete the characters and their actions seemed. They gained life in front of my eyes because they could easily be my neighbors. But that magic, that real-ness got lost in the last 150 pages.
Still, it's a book that made me really happy and that's full of funny and cute quotes and scenes, and I truly enjoyed Fitzpatrick's writing style, so I do recommend it to someone looking for a cute, romance contemporary read with a little bit of more depth than most YA. ( )
  LiindaSnow97 | Aug 26, 2016 |
My luck is still holding that I read a very good book after an innocuous or bad one.

SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
Samantha has spent her whole life in her large home, trying to be the opposite of her older sister and be the perfect daughter for her politician mother. But Samantha can’t help but watch the Garrett’s next door from her window. They are the one thing in the world she is forbade to associate with, per her mother’s instructions.

The Garrett family is loud, and there’s a new one every few years. Toys litter their yard, as do cars. And one night she is seen by Jase Garrett–who proceeds to climb the trellis and knock on her window. And then, seventeen year old Samantha Reed’s life begins. Suddenly, her private school education and country club membership mean little. She begins to realize that the world is larger than her home and her already planned life. And Jase’s kisses make her come alive.
added by gothamgal | editAlwaysReiding, Nicole Reid (Jan 4, 2014)

Of course, to Colette Corry.
The words “best friend” will never say enough.
The Garretts were forbidden from the start.

When Samantha, the seventeen-year-old daugher of a wealthy, perfectionistic, Republican state senator, falls in love with the boy next door, whose family is large, boisterous, and just making ends meet, she discovers a different way to live, but when her mother is involved in a hit-and-run accident Sam must make some difficult choices.… (more)

142 wanted3 pay3 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,735,780 books! | Top bar: Always visible