My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My Life Next Door (edition 2012)

by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Member:Dauntless
Title:My Life Next Door
Authors:Huntley Fitzpatrick
Info:Dial (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:2013 Archive
Tags:Romance, Teens, Contemporary, Tweens, Issues, Aimee Swift, 2013

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My life next door for me was a mix between The Book of Broken Hearts by Sarah Ockler and The Distance Between Us by Kasie West and most of the time I hate when books remind me of others, but this was something that in a way made the book more special to me. It had the forbidden love from The Book of Broken Hearts and the financial differences of The Distance Between Us.

I've wanted to read this book for a long time, its a book that has been talked about and talked about and that is not always a good thing. But I'm lucky that with this book, it was. This books was hyped up for a reason, its fluffy, its moving and it flows really well. I started it purely for the fact of reading it for the read-a-thon. I finished it in a day because after just a few chapters I was hooked and already in love.

This book is centred around Samantha, a girl who comes from a single parent home with a judgemental politician mum. She has been told for most of her life to stay away from the Garretts who live next door. A family with too many kids, and an unkempt garden. But Samantha feels drawn to the family, spending most of her life sitting just outside her bedroom window watching them go about their life. All she does is look, until one day she gets company on her ledge, none other than Jase Garrett from next door. She's never fallowed her mothers, or the rest of the towns, opinions on his family, but its not until she starts to spend more time with not only him but his family, does she realise just how wrong everyone is. And just how much she fits in with them.

The one thing you see from the start is just how realistic everything is. The characters, the love that developed over time and not instant, the political mum who is too concerned with her own career and the rebel sister who tries anything and everything to lash out and get attention from the absent mother. One of my favourite things about this book was the characters. Jase and Sam are people that stick in your mind. They are such a sweet couple, and as a pair are so a like. They both have this deep routed caring nature that’s' genuine. They aren't perfect people, they have flaws just like everyone else and that's what makes them so likeable and relatable

there is one aspect of this book that, while done often in YA books, is hardly ever done right. Sex. I have never been against having sex in young adult books, but when it's done right like it did in this book, with the embarrassment, the confusing and the awkwardness of it was perfect. Because sex is a big deal and going in to your first time thinking that its all going to go without a hick up and you'll just know what to do, it can leave you very hurt at the end of the day. Anyway, like I said, I think Huntley Fitzpatricks take on it was brilliant. The fact that this is in fact her debut novel is also astounding.

Everything about this book was spot on, and you should try it as not just another book to read, but another book to fall in love with. ( )
  Staciesnape | Sep 14, 2014 |
Thoughtful
Family bonds
Politics
Morals

These are some of the best descriptive words I could come up with to explain this book without Giving too much away.

Full Review Here ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
I was surprised to enjoy this one so much. The characters were warm and engaging, and the plot took some surprising twists and turns.

One character has a potty mouth, but otherwise it's perfectly lovely.

More on this book at fefferbooks.com! ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
Hitting up another book in my tbr pile that I have been wanting to read, I find myself asking one question? WHY DID I READ THIS SOONER?!

Plot: I love stories that revolves two people from two different sides of the street. Both raised completely different, I can see why these two would hit it off. The plot revolves strongly around family so if you love a good plot that involves parents and siblings, then you will enjoy reading this.

Love/Friendship: This is the area I enjoyed the most. First off, I think this book puts in perspective of what goes on in people minds. We have this mom, who is, in all honesty, a hard working mom. But her mind has been changed due to hardship. And with that, she places strong reasoning on her daughter to stay away from Jase/The Garretts. Jase, on the other hand is relaxed and hard worker. I admire that about him. When he wants something, he goes for it. He is real with his emotions and is a perfect match for Samantha.

Family: In this story, its all about family, love and mistakes. We all make mistakes and though some mistakes can be forgiven, others you have to pay for. I think all the decisions made throughout the story form Samantha to who she is. She is a wise, strong woman, who is learning from her mother’s mistakes. She follows her heart and not what others say.

If you can’t tell, I adore this book! I love every aspect of the story and just getting a chance to walk in the characters shoes. It has plenty of entertainment to keep the reader solidly in the story. I did not put down this story once I started it. My Life Next Door is a beautiful read that experiences life as it is. It showcases hard work, family drama as well as an unexpected love of a lifetime. A touching story that is spirited with lots of heart, My Life Next Door is amazing! ( )
  Bookswithbite | Mar 31, 2014 |
My Life Next Door was sooooo cute, fun, and heartwarming! I cannot wait for Fitzpatrick's next book :) Review to come. ( )
  Emily_Anne | Mar 16, 2014 |
Of course, to Colette Corry.
The words “best friend” will never say enough.
The Garretts were forbidden from the start.

When Samantha, the seventeen-year-old daugher of a wealthy, perfectionistic, Republican state senator, falls in love with the boy next door, whose family is large, boisterous, and just making ends meet, she discovers a different way to live, but when her mother is involved in a hit-and-run accident Sam must make some difficult choices.… (more)

96 wanted2 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,718,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible