My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My Life Next Door (edition 2012)

by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Member:Dauntless
Title:My Life Next Door
Authors:Huntley Fitzpatrick
Info:Dial (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:2013 Archive
Tags:Romance, Teens, Contemporary, Tweens, Issues, Aimee Swift, 2013

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

This review, along with others, can be seen on Cristina's Book Reviews.

I got the hype, you guys! I totally got the hype!

My Life Next Door was such an amazing contemporary! I couldn’t help buy eat it up as soon as I started reading it! This book was all kinds of cute, and it was about so much more than the romance!

So this book is about Samantha Reed, the girl with the supposed perfect family. She lives next door to the Garretts, who according to Sam’s mom are not perfect. However one day Jase Garrett climbs up Samantha’s balcony and irrevocably enters her life.

If there’s something I loved about this book, it was the Garretts. They were such an amazing family! It made me long for a big, messy, and loud family like them. Their dynamics were so adorable because they all helped each other out and supported each other, like a real family. Also, no matter how big the family was, each character had their own distinctive voice. I especially loved George! I want a George as my brother, lol.
“Is Jase already gonna marry you?”
I start coughing again. “Uh, No. No, George. I’m only seventeen.” As if that’s the only reason we’re not engaged.
“I’m this many.” George holds up four, slightly grubby fingers. “But Jase is seventeen and a half. You could. Then you could live in here with him. And have a big family.”

Sam was easy enough to get along with. She was very down to earth and I could really relate to her. Her issues were very real and I could feel really strongly the emotions she was.

Jase Garrett is THE BEST YA book boyfriend out there. He’s sweet, he’s kind, and he’s charming. He never had a secret agenda. He was completely adorable and I could totally see why Sam would be interested in him!
“You have to kiss me," I find myself saying.
"Yeah." He leans closer. "I do.”

This book has a lot of twists and turns, and it was so emotionally draining! There were moments where I was laughing, moments where I was fangirling, sad moments, and moments where I wanted to yell out in rage. I think I even cried in one part because I was so enraged at something that happened.

The only reason I didn’t give this book 5 stars was because I was left with a lot of questions at the ending. I’m hoping the sequel will address this, but still I wish it could’ve been addressed here.

Which reminds me, I REALLY CAN’T WAIT FOR THE COMPANION/SEQUEL THE BOY MOST LIKELY TO BECAUSE IT’S ABOUT TIM AND I LOVE TIM!!

Anyways, overall this book is really awesome because it’s a different kind of contemporary that deals with different realistic issues. I loved the family aspect, and the romance was completely adorable and swoon-worthy.
“In movies, it’s never half so lovely as it is here and now with Jase.” ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |

“Is Jase already gonna marry you?”

“You have to kiss me," I find myself saying.
"Yeah." He leans closer. "I do.”

“In movies, it’s never half so lovely as it is here and now with Jase.” ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jun 18, 2015 |
4.5 stars ( )
  TexasBookLover7 | Jun 16, 2015 |
My Life Next Door is a cute, light summer read. It's about a girl named Samantha who live with her over the top single mother that is running for Senate and Jase, the boy next door who has a lot of siblings. Sam's mother is very judgmental of the Garrett's, Sam sits outside to watch them often while growing up to see the chaotic world they live in with so many people. One day Jase comes up to her while shes outside and they fall in love, she gets more involved with his family while she never introduces him to her friends or mother, when she finally does it's surprising. Then the book takes a weird turn that I found unnecessary. Sam's mom hits and run Jase's father one night with Sam in the car but she's asleep. Sam is unsure if it was her mom when she hears Mr Garrett is hurt, realizes it is, confronts her, threatened not to tell by her mom's boyfrined, breaks up with Jase, tells him, back together, her mom finally confesses and drops out of the Senate race. Okay.

I liked the start of this book because Sam and Jase seem like normal teenagers and their relationship comes off as real. There is nothing supernatural, no drama, no over the top romantic gestures. Just them and their growing relationship over the summer. The real plot through out the beginning of the book is how will Sam's mom react if/when she finds out she's dating Jase, but instead that part is just glossed over and the book goes off in a tangent with the hit and run. I didn't care for that part at all, why can't the book just be about their relationship and her mom's reaction? Or even take it a step further and have Sam get pregnant and Jase takes off like her dad did, that's what I expected to happen. Or at least nothing as dramatic as a hit and run lol. 3.5/5 ( )
  GrlIntrrptdRdng | May 14, 2015 |
The fiction story, My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick is about Samantha Reed. Her whole life, she has lived next door to the Garretts. Her mother, the Senator of their small Connecticut town, has always despised of them because there were 8 children and their house always look liked a mess. Although, Sam’s house was tidy and just big enough for her, her sister Tracy, and her mother Grace. Sam, ever since she was little, watched the Garretts from her roof. She spied on the children. Eventually she learned their names and faces just by looking over the big fence that separated the two houses. She had never even talked to a Garrett, until one night, when Jase Garrett, climbed up the side of her house and confronted her about her spying. Throughout the story, they start to fall in love. Though, Sam’s mom would never be okay with Sam dating a Garrett, though not coming home until late and always leaving the house early gets her mother suspicious. Eventually she finds out, though she approves of Jase. Just as everything is starting to work out, Samantha's mother runs over Jases dad with a car. This unfortunate event tears apart Jase and Sam's relationship. Though, they get through this tough time and their love is stronger than it was before.
This book was great. The author made the characters grow so much throughout the story. Also, the author described Sam and Jase’s relationship so perfectly. I recommend this book for 8th-10th graders. I recommend this because it is to inappropriate for anyone below 8th grade. Though, it might be an easy read for anyone above 10th grade. Overall, the story My Life Next Door was fantastic. ( )
  PaMu14 | Mar 22, 2015 |
Of course, to Colette Corry.
The words “best friend” will never say enough.
The Garretts were forbidden from the start.

When Samantha, the seventeen-year-old daugher of a wealthy, perfectionistic, Republican state senator, falls in love with the boy next door, whose family is large, boisterous, and just making ends meet, she discovers a different way to live, but when her mother is involved in a hit-and-run accident Sam must make some difficult choices.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,994,487 books! | Top bar: Always visible