My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

My Life Next Door (edition 2012)

by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Member:Dauntless
Title:My Life Next Door
Authors:Huntley Fitzpatrick
Info:Dial (2012), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:2013 Archive
Tags:Romance, Teens, Contemporary, Tweens, Issues, Aimee Swift, 2013

My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

It took me a month to finish this book. It's nice. The story is light, no super drama whatsoever. If you wanna feel young and in love, i recommend this book. My favorite characters are Tim and George. I love how smart George is. He is just so lovely. And Tim! The bad boy with heart.. I hate Nan and Clay. Nan, what a best friend you are! ( )
  Festino | Feb 2, 2016 |
An absolutely amazing and wonderful book. One of the greatest things about it is that it deals with issues that face teens: sex is discussed (and shown a bit), there is swearing, having to decide what is right and wrong, along with the change in friendships and family. The book is realistic, amazing, sad, and heartwarming. Can't express enough how much I adored this book! ( )
  uhohxkate | Jan 31, 2016 |
This book is a sweet romance, but a bit too bland for me. Samantha is not a charismatic protagonist, and is just too good although I did like her boyfriend, Jase. There are a large number of characters, too many in fact, and most of them not well-developed. However, I did like the Garratt clan, especially young George with his innocent, morbid outlook on life. The family is messy, loud, boisterous and loving, a stark contrast to Samantha's orderly, controlled home life. This is a gentle book about coming of age and first romance which should have wide appeal to teenage girls. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
I can't believe that I have waited nearly a month to review this book! For some reason, I just have not felt compelled to put my feelings about this book into words as of yet....maybe because I don't have a lot of feelings about this book. I expected it to be great. Everyone seems to love this book so I expected that I would love it just as much. I was very wrong. I didn't hate it but it was nothing special in my book. In fact, I would have most likely given the book a lower rating except I kind of enjoyed the last section of the story.

I make no secret of the fact that I am most certainly NOT a teenager. In fact, I am the mother of a teenager (not to mention my older child that has already passed up her teenage years). Let's just say that I am kind of old. This is a book for teenagers. I read a lot of books for teenagers and love talking about them with my daughter but sometimes I just cannot relate. This is one of those times.

The basic story is about a perfect little teenager girl, Samantha, who lives with her kind of crazy politician mother. Her mom is running for re-election so it is really important that everything remain perfect down to the perfect lines in the carpet after vacuuming (Do people actually worry about this stuff??? I am doing good just to turn the thing on and suck up the dog hair all over the floor.) Samantha has always spent a lot of time watching the family next door.

Jase lives next door with his family, who happen to everything Samantha's family is not. They are loud, loving, and exciting and there are a lot of them. Jase is one of 8 kids in his family. Jase's family kind of took over the story at points. When Jase and Samantha start hanging out, they end up spending most of their time together at Jase's house. Eventually Samantha is pulled in enough to become a regular babysitter for the family.

My daughter thought Jase was dreamy. I can't say that I share her opinion. Of course, old ladies are not supposed to think that teenage boys are dreamy. That is a rule. I actually found most of the book to be boring. Since I wasn't spending my time drooling over Jase, I wanted something to happen in the story. Nothing did for most of the book. I had to wait until the last 25% of the book for anything interesting to happen. Not cool.

This book wasn't horrible. I didn't hate it and I thought it had some good points. I liked Tim a lot. He was interesting but that was because he was intoxicated for a large portion of the book and spoke without a filter most of the time. Samantha and Jase were okay main characters. The last 25% of the book were rather exciting. The book was easy to read and I like the flow of the novel. This is the first book by Huntley Fitzpatrick that I have read and I plan to read other book in the future. I actually already have the next book in this series ready to go, but only because the main character is Tim. I like Tim a lot so I am hopeful that his book will work for me a little better. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Aug 29, 2015 |
Samantha has spent her whole life in her large home, trying to be the opposite of her older sister and be the perfect daughter for her politician mother. But Samantha can’t help but watch the Garrett’s next door from her window. They are the one thing in the world she is forbade to associate with, per her mother’s instructions.

The Garrett family is loud, and there’s a new one every few years. Toys litter their yard, as do cars. And one night she is seen by Jase Garrett–who proceeds to climb the trellis and knock on her window. And then, seventeen year old Samantha Reed’s life begins. Suddenly, her private school education and country club membership mean little. She begins to realize that the world is larger than her home and her already planned life. And Jase’s kisses make her come alive.
added by gothamgal | editAlwaysReiding, Nicole Reid (Jan 4, 2014)

Of course, to Colette Corry.
The words “best friend” will never say enough.
The Garretts were forbidden from the start.

When Samantha, the seventeen-year-old daugher of a wealthy, perfectionistic, Republican state senator, falls in love with the boy next door, whose family is large, boisterous, and just making ends meet, she discovers a different way to live, but when her mother is involved in a hit-and-run accident Sam must make some difficult choices.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,201,300 books! | Top bar: Always visible