Magic Tree House #47: Abe Lincoln at Last!…

Magic Tree House #47: Abe Lincoln at Last!

by Mary Pope Osborne

Other authors: Sal Murdocca (Illustrator)

Series: Magic Tree House (47)

I would use this book for a 3rd or 4th grade classroom. I would use it as a read aloud and whole class activity. I would use this story embedded in social studies instruction. I would use it during a President's unit, or for a lesson on the Civil War. It's a student friendly approach to more complex situations. I would also do a lot with the vocabulary within the story. There's content specific vocabulary the students could get familiarized with. I would have them formulate their own definition based on prior knowledge, or context clues. At the end of the unit, I would have students write a letter thanking Abraham Lincoln for what he's done. I would have students refer to the text for details, and add other details that we learned in class. ( )
  ewhite06 | Apr 14, 2016 |
I enjoyed reading this book because it was entertaining and educational. I really liked how the author created its characters. Abraham Lincoln was very well developed and believable. In addition, I liked how this book was written. The author used historical facts that were correct such as the events that happened during Lincoln's presidency. I also thought it was a great that the author made it age appropriate for children to read. It was simple and engaging for young readers. Lastly, I liked how the author provided pictures on several pages. For example, on page 10 and 11, a picture of the white house is shown. By doing this, the reader is able to get a better understanding of the setting of the story. Overall, the idea of this book is to take readers on a journey to the past of when Abraham Lincoln was President of the United States. ( )
  Emoy1 | Mar 19, 2016 |
There is one reason why I liked this book in particular. The reason why I liked this book was because of the writing. The writing in the story was written specifically for children and the author wrote with that in mind. The author wrote about events that happened during Lincoln's presidency but made them age appropriate for children. An example of this is when Osborne writes "When Abraham Lincoln became president in 1861, the White House was considered to belong to all the citizens of the country, as well as to the president of and his family. Anyone could walk right in." This informs young readers of how different it was in government then, compared to now. The president is now protected by the Secret Service and you are no longer able to go right in. The story's theme's meaningful and the setting is accurate for this time period. The characters speak in a way that is authentic for the time period. The main idea of the text is to inform readers of how important Lincoln was to this nation and his many accomplishments. ( )
  BrittanyNelson94 | Nov 27, 2015 |
The main idea behind this book is that history can be interesting and fun to learn about.
I enjoyed this book quite a bit because of the interesting plot that it had. The main characters, Jack and Annie, were trying to have a discussion with Abraham Lincoln but ended up going back in time and meeting his younger self. I thought it was very entertaining to read and it made learning the facts about Abe’s life (that he grew up poor, his mother dying while he was young) much easier to remember and relate to because the plot included all the little details without coming right out and saying it directly.
I also enjoyed how the information was presented throughout the text. By just reading the book, the reader knows that Abe had two children, when he became president, aspects of his childhood and about what was happening during his presidency. If a teacher was to state all this information out to a class, they would most likely have a hard time remembering all the details but if they were to read this book, they would most likely have an easier time recalling all the information because it was in a narrative style. It was a story to them, not an informational session. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 22, 2015 |
This early chapter book is part of the Magic Tree House series. In this installment Jack and Annie use their magic tree house to try to find the third piece of the puzzle to save Penny, the penguin, who has been put under a spell. To get the third piece Jack and Annie travel back in time to meet President Abraham Lincoln at the White House. They meet with his young sons and then help a young boy named Sam who gets injured in a horse ridding accident. The kids must find a feather and give him hope. And in the end they do just that. It is easy to see why this series is so popular with younger readers. It has a high interest factor, while still being readable. There are lots of twists and turns in the story line that would definitely hold the interest of most readers.

Based on reading this book, this series is a wonderful option for encouraging children to develop good and regular reading habits. These are good options to allow children to check out from the class library and to use in the classroom during independent reading time. I enjoyed the personal implements of the Abraham Lincoln's family life and the pieces of actual history that were included in this fiction novel. ( )
  zsvandyk | May 3, 2015 |

Mary Pope Osborneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Murdocca, SalIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Not often in the story of mankind does a man arrive on earth who is both steel and velvet, who is hard as rock and soft as drifting fog...
--Carl Sandburg
For Mary Sams
Prolgoue: One summer day in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, a mysterious tree house appeared in the woods.
Annie peeked into Jack's room.

Jack and Annie are ready for their next adventure in the New York Times bestselling middle-grade series—the Magic Tree House!

Are you ready for a presidential adventure?

Jack and Annie are! They are trying to get a special feather that will help save Merlin’s baby penguin, Penny. When the magic tree house whisks them back to Washington, D.C., in 1861, Jack can’t wait to meet Abraham Lincoln himself! But the new president is too busy to see them, as he is desperately trying to save a nation in crisis.

When Jack and Annie ask for some magical help, they go back even further in time to a mysterious woods. Are these the same woods where Abraham Lincoln takes his daily horse ride? If so, can an orphan named Sam help them find Abe? Or will Jack and Annie have to help Sam instead?

It’s a race against time as Jack and Annie try to do the right thing. Plus, they still have to aid a president and a troubled nation, as well as get the object that will save Penny the penguin!

Visit the Magic Tree House website!
MagicTreeHouse.com

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

The magic tree house whisks Jack and Annie to Washington D.C. in the 1860s where they meet Abraham Lincoln and collect a feather that will help break a magic spell.

84 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,916,693 books! | Top bar: Always visible