Magic Tree House #47: Abe Lincoln at Last!…

Magic Tree House #47: Abe Lincoln at Last!

by Mary Pope Osborne

Other authors: Sal Murdocca (Illustrator)

Series: Magic Tree House (47)

2191153,142 (3.97)2

There is one reason why I liked this book in particular. The reason why I liked this book was because of the writing. The writing in the story was written specifically for children and the author wrote with that in mind. The author wrote about events that happened during Lincoln's presidency but made them age appropriate for children. An example of this is when Osborne writes "When Abraham Lincoln became president in 1861, the White House was considered to belong to all the citizens of the country, as well as to the president of and his family. Anyone could walk right in." This informs young readers of how different it was in government then, compared to now. The president is now protected by the Secret Service and you are no longer able to go right in. The story's theme's meaningful and the setting is accurate for this time period. The characters speak in a way that is authentic for the time period. The main idea of the text is to inform readers of how important Lincoln was to this nation and his many accomplishments.
  BrittanyNelson94 | Nov 27, 2015 |
The main idea behind this book is that history can be interesting and fun to learn about.
I enjoyed this book quite a bit because of the interesting plot that it had. The main characters, Jack and Annie, were trying to have a discussion with Abraham Lincoln but ended up going back in time and meeting his younger self. I thought it was very entertaining to read and it made learning the facts about Abe’s life (that he grew up poor, his mother dying while he was young) much easier to remember and relate to because the plot included all the little details without coming right out and saying it directly.
I also enjoyed how the information was presented throughout the text. By just reading the book, the reader knows that Abe had two children, when he became president, aspects of his childhood and about what was happening during his presidency. If a teacher was to state all this information out to a class, they would most likely have a hard time remembering all the details but if they were to read this book, they would most likely have an easier time recalling all the information because it was in a narrative style. It was a story to them, not an informational session. ( )
  graceberry | Nov 22, 2015 |
This early chapter book is part of the Magic Tree House series. In this installment Jack and Annie use their magic tree house to try to find the third piece of the puzzle to save Penny, the penguin, who has been put under a spell. To get the third piece Jack and Annie travel back in time to meet President Abraham Lincoln at the White House. They meet with his young sons and then help a young boy named Sam who gets injured in a horse ridding accident. The kids must find a feather and give him hope. And in the end they do just that. It is easy to see why this series is so popular with younger readers. It has a high interest factor, while still being readable. There are lots of twists and turns in the story line that would definitely hold the interest of most readers.

Based on reading this book, this series is a wonderful option for encouraging children to develop good and regular reading habits. These are good options to allow children to check out from the class library and to use in the classroom during independent reading time. I enjoyed the personal implements of the Abraham Lincoln's family life and the pieces of actual history that were included in this fiction novel. ( )
  zsvandyk | May 3, 2015 |
I have never read one any of the Magic Tree House Series before, and found that I really enjoyed this story. The main idea of this book was about two young children going back in time to learn about Abe Lincoln, and to find a feather. The author did a really good job at making a historical fiction book interesting. I do not tend to gravitate towards these kinds of books but Osbourne interested me. Her use of illustrations throughout the book helped me visualize the text I was reading. She also did an excellent job at creating well-developed characters. By the end, I felt a personal connection to Abraham Lincoln and his family. I felt like I really knew them, and could understand their ambitions. Osbourne’s unique technique of fusing modern aspects with historical facts could make any child interested in studying history. The simple language and constant dialogue made me feel like I was really in the story. I really enjoyed this book, and am thinking about ways I can incorporate Osbourne’s series throughout my future curriculum. ( )
  cyoung23 | Oct 4, 2014 |
I have always enjoyed reading this series of chapter books by Mary Pope Osborne and I think that she did a wonderful job piecing this story together. The main message of this story is to always have hope in every situation. I think that this story was so intriguing because it had actual facts within the book. Jack and Annie travel together to find more about Abraham Lincoln. I think that if the author did not include the actual facts, that the story would not flow as precisely and smoothly as it did. Another factor that grabbed my attention was the dialogue of the book. It caught my attention because it had some humor within the words. For example, when Jack is hesitant on going with Annie, he grits through his teeth and mutters that he is coming! I think that this adds more dimension to the characters and keeps the reader intrigued in the character's feelings and emotions. ( )
  laurenbutcher | Apr 28, 2014 |

Mary Pope Osborneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Murdocca, SalIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Not often in the story of mankind does a man arrive on earth who is both steel and velvet, who is hard as rock and soft as drifting fog...
--Carl Sandburg
For Mary Sams
Prolgoue: One summer day in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, a mysterious tree house appeared in the woods.
Annie peeked into Jack's room.

Jack and Annie are ready for their next adventure in the New York Times bestselling middle-grade series—the Magic Tree House!

Are you ready for a presidential adventure?

Jack and Annie are! They are trying to get a special feather that will help save Merlin’s baby penguin, Penny. When the magic tree house whisks them back to Washington, D.C., in 1861, Jack can’t wait to meet Abraham Lincoln himself! But the new president is too busy to see them, as he is desperately trying to save a nation in crisis.

When Jack and Annie ask for some magical help, they go back even further in time to a mysterious woods. Are these the same woods where Abraham Lincoln takes his daily horse ride? If so, can an orphan named Sam help them find Abe? Or will Jack and Annie have to help Sam instead?

It’s a race against time as Jack and Annie try to do the right thing. Plus, they still have to aid a president and a troubled nation, as well as get the object that will save Penny the penguin!
Visit the Magic Tree House website!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:38 -0400)

The magic tree house whisks Jack and Annie to Washington D.C. in the 1860s where they meet Abraham Lincoln and collect a feather that will help break a magic spell.

19 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,876,801 books! | Top bar: Always visible