Abe Lincoln at Last! by Mary Pope Osborne

Abe Lincoln at Last! (2011)

by Mary Pope Osborne

I have always enjoyed reading this series of chapter books by Mary Pope Osborne and I think that she did a wonderful job piecing this story together. The main message of this story is to always have hope in every situation. I think that this story was so intriguing because it had actual facts within the book. Jack and Annie travel together to find more about Abraham Lincoln. I think that if the author did not include the actual facts, that the story would not flow as precisely and smoothly as it did. Another factor that grabbed my attention was the dialogue of the book. It caught my attention because it had some humor within the words. For example, when Jack is hesitant on going with Annie, he grits through his teeth and mutters that he is coming! I think that this adds more dimension to the characters and keeps the reader intrigued in the character's feelings and emotions. ( )
  laurenbutcher | Apr 28, 2014 |
I never really read the Magic Tree House series when I was growing up but I have mixed feelings about his book. I like that it is a historical fiction chapter book, and that there were actual facts in this book. I also like the writing in this book. The use of both inner and outer dialogue was very helpful in understanding the characters reactions to different situations. For example, “Fine! I’ll come!” Jack said through his teeth. He let Tad pull him through a group of grown-ups clubbing the stairs. When we get to the top, I’ll run back down, Jack thought. Then he can scream as loud as he wants. What I did not like about this book was the way the plot had so much to do with other books in the series. I think that each individual book in a series should have its own beginning, middle, end, problem and solution.
The central message of this book is to have hope. Annie and Jack took a lot of risk, and relied on a lot of people to complete the mission they were given. Thought out the book Annie and Jack did not understand why they experienced certain situations or why they met the people they did on their journey. In the end, Annie and Jack understood that some times things happen that can not be explained right away, but they needed to have hope that eventually everything would make sense. ( )
  kjacks26 | Feb 25, 2014 |
A serviceable entry in a popular series. ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
This book is about two children, Jack and Annie, who go on a magical journey back in time to Abraham Lincolns adulthood, and then further back to his childhood. This book is interesting and entertaining, but at the same time it incorporates historical events to teach students about our country's past. ( )
  crfonten | Apr 23, 2013 |
Why is it that every child Osborne writes (aside from Jack and Annie) is a complete and utter brat? Also...complete bummer of an ending. That was heartwrenching! ( )
  benuathanasia | Dec 23, 2012 |
Not often in the story of mankind does a man arrive on earth who is both steel and velvet, who is hard as rock and soft as drifting fog...
--Carl Sandburg
For Mary Sams
Prolgoue: One summer day in Frog Creek, Pennsylvania, a mysterious tree house appeared in the woods.
Annie peeked into Jack's room.

Jack and Annie are ready for their next adventure in the New York Times bestselling middle-grade series—the Magic Tree House!

Are you ready for a presidential adventure?

Jack and Annie are! They are trying to get a special feather that will help save Merlin’s baby penguin, Penny. When the magic tree house whisks them back to Washington, D.C., in 1861, Jack can’t wait to meet Abraham Lincoln himself! But the new president is too busy to see them, as he is desperately trying to save a nation in crisis.

When Jack and Annie ask for some magical help, they go back even further in time to a mysterious woods. Are these the same woods where Abraham Lincoln takes his daily horse ride? If so, can an orphan named Sam help them find Abe? Or will Jack and Annie have to help Sam instead?

It’s a race against time as Jack and Annie try to do the right thing. Plus, they still have to aid a president and a troubled nation, as well as get the object that will save Penny the penguin!

Visit the Magic Tree House website!
MagicTreeHouse.com

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:04 -0400)

The magic tree house whisks Jack and Annie to Washington D.C. in the 1860s where they meet Abraham Lincoln and collect a feather that will help break a magic spell.

129 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,125,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible