Autumn Duchess: A Georgian Historical…

Autumn Duchess: A Georgian Historical Romance (Roxton Series) (edition 2011)

by Lucinda Brant

Member:melhaf76
Title:Autumn Duchess: A Georgian Historical Romance (Roxton Series)
Authors:Lucinda Brant
Info:Sprigleaf (2011), Kindle Edition
Rating:*****

Autumn Duchess: A Georgian Historical Romance (Roxton Series) by Lucinda Brant

audiobook review:

Antonia, Dowager Duchess of Roxton, still young after 27 years of marriage, must start life anew without her husband. Her heart is so pained, she is unable to leave mourning even three years after his passing. She often visits the mausoleum where her husband is entombed.

Her son, nearing the end of his tether, has decided to threaten her—taking away privileges dear to her heart. I admit, Antonia was rather spoiled. A duchess and coddled most of her life, she now faces changes – some fearful and some unsettling. She shows her meddle, tempered with wisdom when facing these fears and heartache.

Where son is unable to pull Antonia out of her melancholy, a merchant, Jonathan Strang, does. Jonathan starts his association with Antonia brashly, shocking Antonia a bit from her stupor. He has an agenda for meeting the woman, but straightaway becomes intrigued, wishing to know the woman hiding under the garb of duchess. She in turn, is confused, angered, amused and eventually touched by the person he is.

I didn’t like Julian, Antonia’s son, as I did in book two. He acted entirely unfair and harshly when dealing with his mother. But readers, there is a reason, and Julian, duke of Roxton reprieves himself– somewhat.

Jonathan Strang took my heart this time. He is a man of deep waters, wonderful with children, honorable to a fault and does not tolerate hurting a woman. Yes, he won my heart completely!

Rich in description and authenticity, the opulence and excessive luxury of the story is part of the allure of this listen, coating your throat like a fine port—smooth with a slow burn.

Additionally, you will be kept amused by the rather arrogant and outlandish remarks from various characters to the most proper and dry butler who sees all and sees nothing. You will revel in the whirlwind lives of those gossipmongers who spin truths with lies. It makes my head spin.

You will be privy to scenes of such poignant and pure selfless love…and you will discover nothing is more important than family and love.

Narrator Alex Wyndham is so much a part of this series I would want no other to take his place. He captures the French accent spoken in English charmingly, and depicts the many nuances of emotions found in this era of excesses. I enjoyed his children’s voices and particularly the ennui of the aristocratic gentlemen’s voice. A fine production, indeed.

Note: I found I enjoyed the speed of the complete saga at speed 0.75x. It allows the words and divine voice of Mr. Wyndham time to appreciate. ( )
  Eileen.Dandashi | Mar 5, 2016 |
As many people who will read this already know, I am a history geek with a singular fascination with the Georgian era. This also make me a pretty harsh critic of any book set in this period. Autumn Duchess makes the fourth book I have read by author Lucinda Brant and I now declared myself a true blue fan.In her Georgian set romances Ms. Brant recreates the lives of the Georgian nobility, allowing us to venture beyond the closed doors and hear the whispers behind painted fans,to walk as equals amongst the uppermost elite. With an impeccable eye for detail she colors the aristocratic world, from their diamond shoe buckles to their white marble mausoleums, yet still manages to portray the privileged as real people. It's fascinating and intriguing.Whilst her stories are very much character-driven, the author does not neglect her history as each of her books conveys a sense of the real issues and events of the times, both social and political. Yet, the heart of her story forever remains the romance. In this case, it is the compellingly and emotionally drawn relationship between a beautiful grieving widow, Antonia, Dowager Duchess of Roxton, and a much younger and very independent-minded India merchant, Jonathon Strang, who is determined to have her, heedless of the scandal he creates. "I am all for laying myself at your feet," he said with suppressed feeling. "But when I prostrate myself before you, it will not be because you are Her Grace the most noble Dowager Duchess of Roxton, but because I have decided that is where I wish to be. Youa are first and foremost uncommonly interesting, and that alone makes you deserving of my attention, but I am not blind. You are unquestionably the most beautiful woman I have ever set eyes on. And I am not immune. I find you utterly desireable. So the sooner you see me as a warm-blooded male and not a mindless, neutered functionary, the better for both of us." Another humerous highlight was the three way internal conversation that occurs between Jonathon's brain, heart and "vital organ."Flouting a world of strict societal dictates and marriages largely contrived for political and social gain, this unlikely pair come together with passion...and with love.This is another highly recommended title from Lucinda Brant and an addition to my "keeper" shelf. ( )
  EmeryLee | Apr 2, 2012 |
I couldn't put it down. Of course, Ms. Brant has that effect on me. I loved the story, I loved the characters, although I do miss those that have passed, and the history that becomes entwined is always a treat - history that is new and interesting to me. I recommend to the highest degree Ms. Brant's work and encourage all to read every book she's written. You will not be disappointed ( )
  cwaldrum | Dec 5, 2011 |
Antonia, Dowager Duchess of Roxton, has been in mourning for three years for her beloved dead husband and soul mate. Antonia has lost the man who meant everything to her and it appears she no longer has any enjoyment for life. That is until Jonathon Strang, a larger-than-life, forceful character bursts into her life like a hurricane, and turns it upside down. Although Antonia is easily ten years older than he is, her amazing beauty and enchanting aura soon have him captivated. Jonathon began life as the second son of an impoverished second son. However, by virtue of hard work and good fortune in the colonies, coupled with several family deaths that have put him in line for a title, Jonathon is very eligible indeed. He also has links with the Roxton family that he wishes to pursue, namely, the illegal misappropriation of property that rightfully is his. One of these properties can only be signed over to him by Antonia herself.

Antonia is initially repelled by the buccaneer; a man whose casual manners are almost insulting in a society obsessed with the niceties of conduct. His blunt approach, his sharp brain, his sense of humor and finally his blatant adoration serve to break down her icy disdain. Set in 1777, in Georgian England, against a backdrop of the imminent French Revolution and the American War of Independence, this compelling love story will appeal to romantics of all ages.

I recently reviewed Salt Bride by the same author and was keen to revisit Georgian England. Lucinda Brant has carved a niche for herself in this particular patch of history and she is gifted in weaving both story and history into a compelling read. Passion is the keynote of this novel; abundantly clear in the passion of the main characters, the robust energy of the age, and the pulse of action that creates an energetic and well-paced novel. The author has a wonderful turn of phrase, creating a sense of the opulence and oftentimes excessive luxuriance of the era. Food, drink, clothing, entertainment, appetites are all described in glowing detail in an era that celebrated abundance and sensual gratification. Although this is the third book in a series, and readers would derive even greater enjoyment by reading the first two as well, this story stands alone with enough back history threaded through to keep readers in touch with prior events. Highly recommended.
First reviewed for Readers Favorite by Fiona Ingram ( )
  FionaRobynIngram | Nov 14, 2011 |
Antonia, dowager Duchess of Roxton still mourns the death of her husband three years later. He was the love of her life and she misses him greatly. Her son, however, feels that she should leave her blacks behind and re-enter society. He’s worried about what people think, especially when his children come home from their bi-weekly visits with their grandmother to say she speaks to the statues in the mausoleum. The Duke threatens his mother, saying she won’t be able to visit with the grandchildren until she stops mourning or else he will have Sir Titus Foley, a physician who says he can “cure” her melancholy attend to her.

Jonathan Strang-Leven has returned to London after making his fortune in India. He hopes to find a suitable husband for his nineteen year old daughter, Sarah-Jane, and get back his inheritance, which is being held by the Duke of Roxton. What he finds instead is the lovely Antonia. He’s determined to have her, but learns there is more to this complex woman.

This was an enjoyable story. I liked the storyline between Antonia and Jonathan. He never pulled any punches with Antonia and helped her realize that there is life and love after the loss of your soul mate. He was there to save her when she needed it and her relatives as well. But Jonathan wasn’t the only one saving. Antonia did the same for him, when his mooching relatives tried to steer his life and his daughters in a direction that was beneficial for them.

Lovely and engaging story that leaves you smiling.

Reviewed by Shannon
Review copy provided by Lucinda Brant

http://www.romancing-the-book.com/2011/11/review-autumn-duchess-by-lucinda-brand... ( )
  RtB | Nov 7, 2011 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Lucinda Brant's book Autumn Duchess: A Georgian Historical Romance (Roxton Series) was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Lucinda Brant is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,232,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible