The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse by Eric…

The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse

by Eric Carle

This is the story of an artist who paints a blue horse, followed by various other beautiful pieces of art. This could be integrated into the classroom by having students paint various paintings, followed by trying to create a story to go with the artwork. ( )
  eilawest | Jun 17, 2014 |
Why shouldn't there be a red crocodile? Why not a purple fox? What is it to you if that donkey has polka dots? If I want to color an elephant orange I will its my imagination and you aren't the boss of it. That's the power of art and this book to give children a chance to create, to step outside the lines and color anything they want.
  stacy3176 | Mar 12, 2014 |
I think that this book has nicely executed art work, you can see all the detail in each animal that has been painted and all the colors that these animals are composed of is fascinating. I think that the artwork throughout the whole book went with the theme or main idea of this book. A child reading this book would see the picture of the color and animal as well as see them and hear them in Spanish. ( )
  heyleigh | Mar 11, 2014 |
An introduction to the Expressionist idea that you don't have to paint what you see, you can also paint what you feel. Not a bad thing to show to toddlers. I could see the cogs turning as they tried to figure it out. And they enjoyed the beautiful pictures too.

The two bios aimed at adults, which are included at the back, greatly heighten the impact. Eric Carle made this book as an homage to Franz Marc, whose work was viewed as degenerate by the Nazis. However, Carle's high school teacher showed him the forbidden art and unwittingly changed his life. ( )
  docopperhead | Jul 27, 2013 |
Apparently intended as a tribute to expressionist painter Marc Franz, to whose work Eric Carle was secretly introduced as a young boy living in Nazi Germany - Franz's artwork was considered "degenerate" by the Nazis, and was forbidden, but Carle's teacher took a great risk, and showed it to him anyway - The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse follows a young artist as he creates a series of animals in vivid colors. Unconcerned with finding the "right" color, he creates a blue horse, a red crocodile, and a polka-dotted donkey, demonstrating that, in art, there are no wrong choices.

Chosen as one of our January selections over in The Picture-Book Club to which I belong, where our theme was "Books About Artists" (I'm running a little behind in my reading schedule), this visually striking title imparts an important message about the creative process - that we should follow our own course, and work from our own impressions, rather than trying to do things "properly," according to someone else's standard - without ever becoming didactic. A brief afterword gives more details about Marc Franz, but this isn't a biography, or even a non-fiction treatment of art, it's really more of a concept book about colors, animals, and the creative process, and can be read on a variety of levels. Toddlers, I imagine, will just be drawn to the bright colors and simple design, while slightly older children will also appreciate the ideas presented. ( )
2 vote AbigailAdams26 | Apr 25, 2013 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399257136, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2011: The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse is a joyous celebration of art and creativity. As a young man, Carle was influenced by the work of Franz Marc, an Expressionist artist famous for his paintings of blue horses, and this book is a fitting tribute to his legacy. Carle’s brilliant, unusual, color pairings--a red crocodile, a polka-dotted donkey--capture the limitless imagination of children and the brief text is simple, yet memorable. The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse is destined to become a well-worn classic, inspiring readers of all ages to embrace their inner artist.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:47 -0400)

Rather than use the same old colors, a child paints animals and objects in a variety of different hues. Includes biographical information about the German painter Franz Marc, who created unconventional animal paintings in the early 1900s.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,253,130 books! | Top bar: Always visible