The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse by Eric…

The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse

by Eric Carle

Over the last year, my daughter and I have spent much of our time reading mass amounts of books. She just turned two, and she's beginning to discover more than just a book's illustrations. It's amazing to watch her brain develop, and the things she's able to understand absolutely blow me away. We read all sorts of picture storybooks, but she definitely enjoys Carle's works more than anything else. We probably have a copy of Brown Bear in every room of the house, as it really is that important! I've come to enjoy his books almost as much as she has in this time, and I think that The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse is my favorite. I gave this one too her as a Christmas gift this year, and it sends a message to her that will last a lifetime. In the story, our artist paints pictures of animals, but colors them in a rather, well, unorthodox manner. The book goes through a series of animals, ending with the most powerful line in any children's book that I've read, "I am a good artist." Such a powerful, confident declaration by our artist, one that must be instilled into children. I wrote a note on the endpage to her that reads, "Paint the world as you see fit, even when no one seems to understand." Thank you, Eric Carle, for inspiring millions of minds, regardless of age.
  J.Davidson | May 5, 2015 |
This book is appropriate for preschool through second grade. Although preschoolers and kindergarteners may not grasp the big picture of embracing one another's differences, the illustrations are fun and the book shows a good use of imagination.
  Sarah.Lew | Apr 29, 2015 |
This is a realistic fiction book. This book goes through an artist showing off his work which includes a blue horse, a green lion, a red crocodile, and a yellow cow, etc. I think that this book teaches children that you can be creative with what you are drawing. You don't have to stick to the norms when you are creating art. It is more impressive if you can use your imagination. The pictures in this book were beautiful! ( )
  karleesampson | Mar 31, 2015 |
This picture book was so cute and strives for children to continue to use their imagination! The book uses words to explain the animal and color it is and that's it. The pictures take up most of the space and it is so wonderful how each animal is a different color than we would imagine. It helps to teach children that art can be anything we imagine and isn't confined to what makes sense to others. I think teacher would love to use this before activities asking for creativity.
  TessaB28 | Mar 14, 2015 |
This book is mainly aimed at young children who are more attracted to colors and pictures rather than words. There was not much of a story to this book, but the pictures were great. ( )
  TeresaCruz | Oct 11, 2014 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399257136, Hardcover)

Amazon Best Books of the Month, October 2011: The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse is a joyous celebration of art and creativity. As a young man, Carle was influenced by the work of Franz Marc, an Expressionist artist famous for his paintings of blue horses, and this book is a fitting tribute to his legacy. Carle’s brilliant, unusual, color pairings--a red crocodile, a polka-dotted donkey--capture the limitless imagination of children and the brief text is simple, yet memorable. The Artist Who Painted a Blue Horse is destined to become a well-worn classic, inspiring readers of all ages to embrace their inner artist.--Seira Wilson

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:47 -0400)

Rather than use the same old colors, a child paints animals and objects in a variety of different hues. Includes biographical information about the German painter Franz Marc, who created unconventional animal paintings in the early 1900s.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,858,295 books! | Top bar: Always visible