The List by Siobhan Vivian

The List (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Siobhan Vivian

The concept is great—a list comes out every year with the prettiest and ugliest girl from each grade. How does it affect the eight girls on it? I was pleasantly surprised to find each girl a pretty well-developed, interesting character. The ending is a bit sudden. Not much (if anything) is tied up at the end, so it might feel a bit unfinished. ( )
  EuronerdLibrarian | Oct 4, 2014 |
Not the kind of book I would normally read but it came in my BookRiot Quarterly box so gave it a shot. I think its probably a decent book for a teenaged girl but not really for adults. ( )
  dulcinea14 | Sep 18, 2014 |
I have wanted to read this one for some time because I was interested the the premise of this list that targeted the most beautiful and ugliest girl in each class. I wanted to see how the dynamics played out, how much bullying would come into play and wanted to know who is behind the list and why.

There is a shifting point of view and it is with all eight of the girls, so it took me a bit to remember the individual story line, what they were voted, and what role they play in relation to the others. They all had different story lines and motives, and it was a great look into how women view themselves and how easily they could be persuaded by others/popular opinion.

I wish that it would have had less characters and been able to go deeper, and for me to actually remember who was voted prettiest and ugliest, and what they were feeling about it.

But there was something compulsive about it. I didn't want to stop reading even through my character confusion. I wanted to know who was behind it. I wanted to know how this would bring together or separate the girls, and how they respond to being on their place on the list.

I felt like once the story got going and I was starting to get into the characters' stories and tell them from each other, it was over. And to me, at least, it didn't feel like a very complete ending.

Bottom Line: Great concept, okay characters though it felt like too many. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Aug 7, 2014 |
An intense look at the rules of high school attraction--and the price that's paid for them It happens every year. A list is posted, and one girl from each grade is chosen as the prettiest, and another is chosen as the ugliest. Nobody knows who makes the list. It almost doesn't matter. The damage is done the minute it goes up. This is the story of eight girls, freshman to senior, "pretty" and "ugly." And it's also the story of how we see ourselves, and how other people see us, and the tangled connection of the two. ( )
  ShellyPYA | Jan 14, 2014 |
The premise of this book is that each year before Homecoming a list is posted with the prettiest and ugliest girl in each grade. The book is told in chapters from the POV of each of the 8 girls.

In general I liked this book. I felt for each of the characters, good and bad. It portrayed all the angst of teenage girls - fitting in, first boyfriends, pressure to look like a girl in a magazine, being an athlete, being an outcast, etc - with all of the heartbreak and elation of real life. I thought the story brought to light a version of bullying that is more prevalent than people think and can be just as harmful as physical or verbal abuse.

I was disappointed that the book didn't go into more depth for each of the girls. It was just long enough to give us a peek at each of them and their various issues but was not long enough to give a satisfying resolution. The ending was somewhat abrupt and left me wondering what happened throughout the rest of the school year.

Overall this was a good read and I would recommend to anyone interested in books dealing with bullying or wanting to relive their high school days. ( )
  CherieReads | Sep 23, 2013 |
For Mommy, for a million reasons

Every year at Mount Washington High School somebody posts a list of the prettiest and ugliest girls from each grade--this is the story of eight girls, freshman to senior, and how they are affected by the list.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,339,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible