The List by Siobhan Vivian

The List (original 2012; edition 2012)

by Siobhan Vivian

It's a tradition that just before homecoming a list of the prettiest and ugliest girl in each grade is posted around the school. The story follows each of the girls on the list from the time it is published until the homecoming dance, intertwining the stories and showing the repercussions the list has for each girl. A realistic portrayal of high school life and a readable story.

AR level: 4.8 UG
Lexile: 750
Recommended for: Teens ( )
  liblb | Dec 25, 2014 |
Although a bit unrealistic, and not really representative of what actually happens in High School, The List is a great book to read about popularity, beauty, and ugliness. With 8 main characters switching view points to share their story and how they are affected by the list, this book will emotionally draw you in, make you hate the mean girls, and empathize with the unpopular girls. This is a story of accepting yourself for who you are, and not judging the ones around you. Everyone has flaws, and even good intentions can hurt others. ( )
  SimoneAlexis | Dec 12, 2014 |
The concept is great—a list comes out every year with the prettiest and ugliest girl from each grade. How does it affect the eight girls on it? I was pleasantly surprised to find each girl a pretty well-developed, interesting character. The ending is a bit sudden. Not much (if anything) is tied up at the end, so it might feel a bit unfinished. ( )
  EuronerdLibrarian | Oct 4, 2014 |
Not the kind of book I would normally read but it came in my BookRiot Quarterly box so gave it a shot. I think its probably a decent book for a teenaged girl but not really for adults. ( )
  dulcinea14 | Sep 18, 2014 |
I have wanted to read this one for some time because I was interested the the premise of this list that targeted the most beautiful and ugliest girl in each class. I wanted to see how the dynamics played out, how much bullying would come into play and wanted to know who is behind the list and why.

There is a shifting point of view and it is with all eight of the girls, so it took me a bit to remember the individual story line, what they were voted, and what role they play in relation to the others. They all had different story lines and motives, and it was a great look into how women view themselves and how easily they could be persuaded by others/popular opinion.

I wish that it would have had less characters and been able to go deeper, and for me to actually remember who was voted prettiest and ugliest, and what they were feeling about it.

But there was something compulsive about it. I didn't want to stop reading even through my character confusion. I wanted to know who was behind it. I wanted to know how this would bring together or separate the girls, and how they respond to being on their place on the list.

I felt like once the story got going and I was starting to get into the characters' stories and tell them from each other, it was over. And to me, at least, it didn't feel like a very complete ending.

Bottom Line: Great concept, okay characters though it felt like too many. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Aug 7, 2014 |
For Mommy, for a million reasons

Every year at Mount Washington High School somebody posts a list of the prettiest and ugliest girls from each grade--this is the story of eight girls, freshman to senior, and how they are affected by the list.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,951,159 books! | Top bar: Always visible