Doodling by Jonathan Gould

Title:Doodling
Authors:Jonathan Gould
Info:

Doodling by Jonathan Gould

Doodling is a quick, humorous and enjoyable read. I appreciated the exploration of modern woes and laughed aloud at the satire. The style reminded me of [b:Le Petit Prince|3704500|Le Petit Prince|Antoine de Saint-Exupéry|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1328571471s/3704500.jpg|17594652] - which is a classic. Recommended read for those willing and able to see the humor in the human condition. ( )
  ChanceMaree | Mar 29, 2013 |
I think the synopsis has a great description in "Douglas Adams meets Lewis Carroll." Similar styles to the authors are definitely present in Gould charming story about a boy wandering an asteroid field, looking for a purpose, and finding himself a hero to the people living among the asteroids.

I was never into science, so anything that may have been incorrect or stretched as far as the universe or physics are concerned was over my head. I think that's probably a good thing for me. I probably enjoyed it more than I would have if I had been questioning the science.

As it is, I think this is a fun story with an easy enough plot to follow and even a little depth. I liked Neville's need to find his purpose. I think that's a good message, and in a story that I think could easily be transformed into a good children's book, it's well placed. I almost wish it had illustrations of Neville as he meets all the strange people living on the asteroids. That would have made it the perfect experience of the story for me.

This book was provided by the author for review. I did not receive any payment in exchange for the review nor was I obligated to write a positive one. All opinions expressed here are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, the book's publisher and publicist or the readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising. ( )
  LauraAshlee | Jan 23, 2013 |
I always think of doodling as something a little random, innocuous, with little meaning behind it but in truth there has long been a school of thought there suggests there’s actually more that lies beneath the simple doodle. Jonathan Gould’s novella seems to fall into a similar category. On the surface, it seems lighthearted, fun and not very serious at all. Look a little closer, however, and Doodling is full of surprises. And what remarkable surprises they are.

I empathise wholeheartedly with Neville. The world is racing and sometimes I – like many others – feel like I’m barely clinging on by my fingertips. What can we do but keep clinging? Neville experiences a rare look at the world beyond the world and the discoveries are – frankly – frightening. Strange party people who will celebrate any occasion possible in the strangest of ways. Competitive types who are utterly driven by the desire to win and never realise that not everyone can be a winner. Toaster people who desperately need something to worship and yet when their quite illogical beliefs prove to be founded, find themselves utterly lost. (What’s that Voltaire quote: “Si Dieu n’existait pas, il faudrait l’inventer” – “If God didn’t exist it would be necessary to invent him”. Some people need something to believe it but seeing it in front of you is a different ball game!)

There are a few conclusions that can be drawn at the end of Doodling including ‘It takes all sorts of people to make a world’ and ‘As hard as it is to keep the world spinning. it’s always going to be more difficult alone’. However, there’s a very clear conclusion that Jonathan Gould is a very intelligent author who can write remarkably humorous fiction with an incredibly clever streak running through it. He’s either a satirical genius and knows it or he’s a satirical genius who doesn’t yet realise it: either way, expect a literary explosion in the future. This is not the kind of writing that can be kept under wraps.

Originally published on http://bookbagsandcatnaps.com.
Book source: Download from Smashwords during a promotion. ( )
  donnambr | Jan 12, 2013 |
I believe I first met Jonathon Gould on Independent Authors and Writers when he introduced Flidderbugs to the Author/Reader population. In my enthusiastic haste to read his books, I picked Doodling first.

Neville falls off the world and visits several asteroids. Why does he do this...well you'll have to read the book to find out.

My personal opinion, this is a cross between Fantasy and Satire. Fantasy because we all know that people can't really survive in outer space without forms of protection. A Satire because there are subliminal references to society yet they are not caustic in nature.

My imagination was captivated by Mr. Gould's descriptions of the people and places. I couldn't help but wonder how this was all going to turn out. I was quite pleased when all the pieces of the proverbial puzzle fell into place in the end. I'm really looking forward to reading Flidderbugs. ( )
  LynnCSWC | Oct 8, 2012 |
Okay. Let's be honest here. Books called Doodling and Flidderbugs? Seriously? That's what I thought in the beginning. But, sitting down to read these fast reads, well, I quickly changed my opinion on them. I'm super glad that I had the chance to partake in this blog tour for Mr. Gould's delightful reads! Neville and Kriffle are both characters that will take you on an adventurous, humorous journey into a fantasy world. Readers young and old will enjoy these reads, and quite frankly, be excited to see if Mr. Gould will write another like them (or at least this reader is excited!).

In Doodling, the reader is introduced to Neville....a character who has fallen off the world, or as Mr. Gould put it, simply let go of the world and is now traveling through the universe, making new friends with interesting people, learning new ways to look at life. It's definitely a fantasy universe and often, it's very humorous. It's a wonderful fast read,especially for those of us who are always running ragged and never stopping to simply take a moment to breath. It's a delightful story!

In Flidderbugs, we meet Kriffle. Gould dubs this book a political satire, or modern fable, and I would have to honestly agree with him. It's a story bugs that do battle in a tree (think a little bit of Dr. Suess here....). Children and adults will both enjoy this story of coming to terms with what is obvious. It's a battle of political rights and wrongs, a battle of yes or nos. Is this tribe of bugs right about their side of the tree, or that tribe of bugs the correct party on their side of the tree. It was definitely interesting to see how the story turned out and the great buggy characters are uniquely charming!

I can definitely say that these books are highly recommend with 4 Book ratings. I am glad to have had the chance to read them, and I look forward to seeing if Mr. Gould makes more like this. They aren't long reads, less than 75 pages a piece, and would be great for that settling in for the night read, or an interesting new bed time story to tell your children. Great job, Mr. Gould!

This review originated at Reviews By Molly in part with a blog tour. ( )
  ReviewsbyMolly | Mar 25, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible